1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Multiple fires started in my local park...

Discussion in 'General' started by Malvolio, 6 May 2008.

1. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Was out on a ride earlier today (5:30ish), and happened to spot a couple small fires on the side of the bike path. Immediately I phoned up the fire department, and flagged down the truck when it came. A passerby reported another fire further west of the first one I had come across. The pictures speak for themselves.

[​IMG]
    This was the first area I spotted. The grass/underbrush was on fire all the way around a picnic area. It was quickly dealt with.

[​IMG]
    This was the bigger area that was on fire. The first area is just to the left of the frame. Picture taken from across the river/valley.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This fire covered a rather large area, and took over an our to put out, then a while more just to stomp out the embers.

What kind of sick mind does this to an extremely well used and loved park in the middle of a city? Thankfully I had been there at the right time to call them, as nobody else looked even mildly interested in the fires. While waiting for the fire truck, I counted ten people walk by the smaller fire without even so much as a second thought, never mind any motion as if they cared. From what the 911 operator stated, I was the first to call it in, which worries me as these fires were burning for a while before I came.

And if you're wondering, I sent the pictures off to my local newspaper, if I make it in I'll post a scan/link of/to the article.

2. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Good call mate, some odd people around tbh.
    Infact, recently late round my town centre (like 1030pm) I was walking back from work to find a large skip outside some offices on fire. And I mean proper hot, dripping fire!
    So quick call, and drove past later to see it put out.

I don't get some people.

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

It definitely is concerning that nobody else called it in, but how do you know the fires were set? It's probably too wet this time of year for something to start naturally but it does happen.

4. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

glad to hear that you took the time to call it in. there are still some decent people in the world.

5. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Rather the opposite I'm afraid. Everything is bone dry. Thats the problem.

Plus, none of the locations are anywhere near a source of ignition, and it's been a perfectly sunny day outside. In one of the areas infact, it looked like there were two separate burn patterns. All that aside though, three completely different areas of one park on fire at the same time? Seriously. If thats not arson, than I don't know what is.

Plus the cops were everywhere right quick like.

6. koola

koola Minimodder

It's amasing how many people turn a blind eye to situation such as these and in general. Likewise, I'm glad you called it in.

As for ignition, there could be a smashed bottle etc in the grass, which given enough sunlight at the correct angle could easily start a fire. That doesn't explain the separate areas on fire though, so probs arson.

7. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

We get a fair number of burning cars near us - we're down a 'private drive' [lots of houses along it though] so when cars get nicked they sometimes end up driving past us as the police don't seem to follow them. They're usually found the next morning in the fishermen's car park burnt out.

8. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Malf's back?!

9. koola

koola Minimodder

That's daft, but I guess they risk being sued if anything happens on that private drive *sigh*. I live across from horse fields with a park and woods on the other side. In recent years, we've had our fair share of fires and stolen/burnt out cars, so I know what's it like. Fortunately, the park and forrest is council owned so the police/fire service are able to access it.

It's annoying though and a shame these kids haven't got anything better to do.

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

humanity is entering a decadent period..... thank God there are still people like you in the world.

Tags: