1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Rogue (NZXT Rogue SFF) It lives! Aug 13, '08

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigbru, 28 Feb 2008.

1. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Oh, NO! Good god, those things are expensive. How did you manage to kill one of those things?! My sincerest condolences regardless. That really sucks, Craig.

2. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

I really don't know... the wiring was all fine, as well as the power source. Maybe it was defective from the start. All the other fans run well, so I'll consider it just bad luck. Luckily I bought them cheap the first time around, although I think I made up for it tonight!

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

its a fan, so i would have pulled the little git apart until i find the problem. it could have been a small resistor in there, or a capacitor that sits across the two terminals of the motor. fix it!

I really love the contact terminals to power the fans, i shall definatly make a mental note of that for any future mods of mine.

4. craigbru

It really could be as simple as a resistor, and if it is, I'll definitely fix it. Last still panicked me a little, and I knew if I could find a fan anywhere, I was going to buy it. If nothing else, I'll have a spare. :thumb:

This is a small case, packed full of stuff, and I wanted to minimize clutter in any way that I could.

5. Elio

Elio What's a Dremel?

those press buttons is turning out to be a very good and wire free idea!
    i think i'll adopt it if you dont mind...i have a problom with the door fans...

6. cheezeit

cheezeit What's a Dremel?

Wait craig, how exactly does that fan wiring work? I can't tell what it does from the picture..

7. Dead Ghost

Dead Ghost What's a Dremel?

What a great idea with the fan contacts. :thumb:
    But aren't you concerned with the overall noise of the fans?
    Anyway, i can't wait to see the finished case in all it's glory!

8. craigbru

Hey, use away! They come in various configurations. 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 contacts I believe.

It's been quite a while since I first mentioned them, so I probably should have given a quick recap. Basically, you have male and female contacts. The male's are spring loaded. So, you have the female contacts attached to the fan assembly, and the male contacts will be attached inside the upper part of the case. When the top of the case is put on, all contacts will touch, and power will be supplied to the fans. There's no need to disconnect and connect wiring when removing the fan assembly. It's clean and neat, and should allow for greater airflow with the reduced wiring.

[​IMG]

Nah, not with the San Ace's. They're awesome, and quiet fans.
    Thanks!

Last edited: 5 May 2008
  9. Dead Ghost

Dead Ghost What's a Dremel?

10. craigbru

I did see those when I was searching. They aren't the infamous 1011's though, so I'm really not that sure how well they would match what I already had. They also happen to have a ribbed design, where the 1011's don't.

11. craigbru

No computer modding done today, but we did get a little work done in the basement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The work continues!

12. yeknom

yeknom What's a Dremel?

No more house mods, I want case mods!

Just kidding, that work in your basement is looking good. But we'd all prefer that you spend your time modding instead :hehe:

13. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

The basement is coming along nicely. You should have plenty of room for all your modding needs now lol.

14. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

Great job on mounting those fan contacts!

The basement modding is great to, I've learned stuff from looking at those pictures... like how you construct the point where two walls meet. I can't wait to see more stuff like this! ^_^

15. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

Love this project man, looking foward to seeing it finished, oh and nice basement!

16. craigbru

Thanks guys! Even thought the basement has to be my current priority, I should have some time for the Rogue tonight. Hopefully I'll get enough done to post an update!

17. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

The basement looks pretty nice. Professional work there :dremel:

18. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

it looks like you are making a cage, so i suspect those kids are mad! :p

19. haakon.t

haakon.t :)

Love the basement so far :) But I'm still hoping for you to throw out an update this evening as well ;) Before this worklog I thought it would be physically impossible to fit all that stuff in such a small case, but you proved me wrong! ...luckily :p

20. craigbru

Thanks... It's nice to use something a little bigger than a dremel, and measure in something other than millimeters for once... :D

Sometimes I wish I had a cage! The next updates should give you a better idea of the layout. There's actually the end of a hallway not in place yet...

To be honest, I've actually surprised myself a little. The Meanwell PSU wasn't even envisioned when I started this project, and that takes up a very large part of the case.

Tags: