1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

i had one in 1988 does that count?:thumb:

2. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i ride road a little bit. i used to a lot more before i moved to the mountains. my road bike fits me poorly though, if i had a proper bike i'd go road riding a lot more.

3. Seraphim Works

Seraphim Works What's a Dremel?

Nope, I'm a roadie, currently on a Lemond which isn't anything too special. I'm eyeing up a new saddle from wiggle at the moment. What I'd really like is one of these....

[​IMG]

That'd do nicely...

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Wow, look at the chain tension!

5. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Wiggle +1. I think if you buy from them now you'll also get 20% off some more gear. Plus you get some sweets with the package.
    I envy the people that have £1000 to spend on a road bike, all I have is a steel framed mountain bike with slightly better tyres, and I travel a fair distance each week.

6. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Like RTT said the ths yeas low/mid range RS forks are good, but TBH if you like Marzocchi stick with em, I'm running a set of 08 Marzocchi 4X World Cup on my bike and they've been great so far. They have moved production from Italy to Taiwan but build quility seems fine and the prices have droped across the board, some forks have come in a bit ligter too.

Rock Shox Reeba or Marzocchi Marathon going by what you had before :)

7. heh-

heh- curses.

Yeah, I'm hopefully going to test ride it in a couple of weeks. I already tried a Specialized Stumpjumper and didn't think much to it, didn't feel right to ride. I was looking at Treks as well, but apparently they don't do test bikes.

Having trouble finding a review on Ghost bikes as its a German make (as far as I know) and doesn't make it across to the UK, so not knowing any German is making googling a bit of an issue :D

8. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I can recommend the Specialized Enduro. For an all rounder bouncy take-anything-you-throw-at-it kinda bike it's awesome. I thought it would take me a good few rides to get into the flow of it, but I'm already going just as quick as I did on my old Enduro. Probably quicker actually because the new bike doesn't feel like it's bearing are made from sandstone :p

9. notatoad

rtt, fibre, thanks for the advice. i went in to the city yesterday to see what various stores had in stock, and ended up buying a fox f80x for $569. it's way better than i needed, but i'm so glad i got it. i just went for a ride on it, and the automatic lockout is incredible. it's totally rigid until you hit a bump, then it soaks up the bump and goes rigid again. and at 3.15lbs, it's way lighter than my old bomber. now i just have to steal my brothers crossmax wheels and i'll have my dream bike.

10. RTT

RTT #parp

Quite the opposite of my day then supertoad - got in and decided to investigate why my rear gears were playing up... my (non-replaceable) sprung derailleur mount is bent meaning the whole unit can't rotate around the mech hanger. I've gotta replace the entire derailleur. I must've bashed it at some point as that's the only way it could have gotten bent. D'oh.

11. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Nice :thumb:

I had a set of the Fox 36 Talas some time ago, they do make very nice forks, you just have to pay that bit extra for the privilege of owning some :)

12. Malvolio

Malvolio .

[​IMG]

Thats my main ride at the moment. Rather amazing ride, though could do with new wheels (the crossland in the back is taking one hell of a beating and I'm having to rebuild the hub every two days because of it).

13. Major

Major Guest

That's a weird bike. :)

14. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

That seat cannot be comfortable.

15. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Some kind soul (neighbour) had thrown two rusty pieces of **** (bikes) on top of my ride and now the front brake disk is bent.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate this kindness.

Have other BT-riders faced such terror on their bikes? I've kept mine in the bike room(what's the right word) of our house, but it appears that's not as safe place as I thought....

16. The cheapskate

The cheapskate One custom title before Matty

That unless im mistaken is a Giant ACID.

Mate had one. brilliant fun for playing around. we did some drop offs on it last year and it was amazing off road. Just getting to the top of the hill on the dam thing is hard as hell.

17. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

In the city I live here's a 100 m high hill. It's extremely boring to first walk up 30 minutes and then roll down in 5 minutes :( Talkin' about bad efficiency. No way in hell I would actually cycle it up, way too much work.

18. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I knew someone who had his seat like that on a MTB... That ended quite badly. He had one of those doughnuts you have to sit on for about a month. :p

19. Malvolio

Malvolio .

In my view: seats are not meant for sitting.

At the moment I'm searching for something drastically much smaller so that I can have the seat all the way down, without my knees always smashing into the stupid thing. But anyway, because of the geometry of the frame, that seat angle is just right if you want to sit and take a granny position. Seems a lot worse than it is.

Giant ACID - amazing bikes. Really wish they would start making and selling them over here.

20. notatoad

as long as we're showing off our bikes, here's mine (sexy new fork included)

[​IMG]