1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mass Effect and Spore DRM detailed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 May 2008.

1. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    "If things don't go your way, complain until you get what you want."
    "That's not very good advice."
    "Well, I'm not a very good president!":lol::lol::lol:

at least to me, reauthenticating when you update is reasonable, and i'm very glad to hear that you don't need the dvd in to run either game

2. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

i'm glad that us lot complaining actually made a difference. 10 points to EA! Now lets see if we can pester square to remake FF7!

3. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

+9000
    as veles put it, they could be pulling a sneaky bugger then when they 'listen to the community' it makes them look better that they do listen even if they anticipated it. it reminds me of political parties who make outrageous claims about something so when they make claims that aren't as outrageous but still slightly insane they don't seem so bad.

4. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

These measure are only in place becasue piracy is killing the games industry. I mean why do companies impliment all these measures? For the fun of it.

ANYONE who pirates is responsible for what is happening!!!!! I pay 40 quid a game becasue of fannies that are now going to bit torrent the game pffft like anyone was going to pay anyways.....

: S

5. donnie

donnie Moddin' my way out of a paper bag

I think you guys hit the nail on the head as this seems to be a "stunt" which tbh is quite clever and i may have to reconsider my boycott of the games which i guess was the intended purpose.

When i first opened this thread i thought awww thats nice they've listen to us humble screaming keyboard totting gamers and i started reading the comments and i hadn't realized that this thread had simply been amended from previous one, bless my simple confusion.

Ps they let people in the army play games that arn't like war sims hmm did not know that!

6. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

So what are we left with now? The same DRM everyone loathed in Bioshock? But now it seems better because they threatened something worse. Nice going, EA. People complain about having to eat a turd sandwich so you threaten to make them eat a double decker turd sandwich with fries instead. And after contemplating that for a while they jump at the chance to go back to the plain old turd sandwich.

7. Wicz

Wicz What's a Dremel?

QFT!

8. Bionic-Blob

Bionic-Blob What's a Dremel?

i wouldn't think so. it's the same computer, so it should have the same hardware IDs, thus 1 installation.

9. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

win!

Still, waiting for them to patch Kane's wrath. EA has lost the plot a bit :/

10. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

Not true, if it works like Bioshock DRM then everytime you install and activate it takes an install.

11. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

A blurb about piracy and copy protection from Brad Wardell of Stardock (emphasis mine):
    Full article here.

12. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Its a different OS (maybe even different HD) so it counts as a second install.

Continuing above example:
    Eventually, you make an upgrade and re-install both OS. You install "DRM Effect" in one OS and you can not re-install the game in the other OS unless you get permission.
    If you get permission...

13. donnie

donnie Moddin' my way out of a paper bag

"Subsequent authentications will be required if you use online features, download new content or a patch for the game."
    This quote seems perfectly standard to me.
    "and will instead use an online authentication when you install and launch the game for the first time." Now that is something i didn't quite cotten onto on my quick skim through, this is a bioshock DRM remake and i hope this causes equal backlash as the first preposed CP but you have to respect the style with which they pulled with little scheme together.

After reading the article again i will be reimposing my boycott of both M-ass Effect and Spore (couldn't think of one for spore well not one clever) wait M-ass effect wasn't to clever but you can't win them all.

Wait years for a game then don't buy it coz the protections a bar sterward, what a shame but i put good money on the fact that alot of people were willing to buy this are now turning to there pirating ways "argh where's ma booty!!"

14. Wicz

Wicz What's a Dremel?

Great article written by an intelligent guy who can see far more clearly than most of the rest of the industry. He's not greedy, he's realistic and the sales of his titles and other products prove he must be doing something right instead of bitching and whining that it's all somebody else's fault ;)

15. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I've sent another e-mail to EA to say it's not good enough, I suggest anyone who feels the same way does so too.

Hopefully if enough people send them well written, well thought out arguments, we might be able to get them to remove SecureROM entirely.

Last edited: 11 May 2008
  16. kzrider

kzrider Your mom sent me

I to wish EA would release there games to Steam. I am a gamer and have friends whom have all been robbed by EA. I can`t count on 1 hand the number of friends that have purchased Battlefield 2142 and have gotten Zip for it. All with the same error of That cd code is invalid. They have contacted EA via there website and by e-mails and gotten back replys like you need to fix this yourself. WTF is that supposed to mean. [ Download a Cracked version???] I myself got lucky and my key worked. But not to give EA any credit, As I was fool enough to purchase there expansion (Nothern Strike) online for 10 bucks just to get screwed on that. In my humble opinion EA needs to release there games to Steam so that the paying customers will stop getting the shaft.

17. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

I would much rather just find a pirated version of the game with cracked copy protection than go through this hassle. I really don't care too much about Mass Effect (seeing as how I've already played the heck out of the 360 version) but I was really really really really really really looking forward to making strange little critters in Spore. I wonder how much influence EA's new ownership of Bioware had on this decision to DRM the crap out of their blockbuster title? I love Bioware (easily one of my top 10 favorite development houses) but I'd certainly just leave them for dead (just like Bullfrog!) rather than deal with EA's shenanigans.
    I see EA doing this to games that are expected to sell pretty well and I look over at a company like Stardock (Sins of a Solar Empire managed to sell pretty well without much DRM at all), a company that sees how much people hate idiotic copy-protection measures, and wonder which model will win out in the end.

18. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

"Subsequent authentications will be required if you use online features, download new content or a patch for the game."

So for Spore that will be every time you start a game of move to a new evolution as it pulls new creature info from there network.

19. Pugwash

Pugwash What's a Dremel?

Well - after reading all the posts I've decided that I'm going to buy Spore.

But just in case some arsehole copies my authentication code, I'll download a pirated copy of the game to use as a backup!

20. specofdust

specofdust Banned

That's pretty hilarious.

There's a very good chance that there'll be fixed copies of it on the internet before the people who bought it on the first day need to re-activate it.

In a world where people can have their cake and eat it, bakers making the cakes they're selling taste worse isn't smart.

Tags: Add Tags