1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mass Effect and Spore DRM detailed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 May 2008.

1. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Oh they're delicious cakes, it's just they're covered in **** instead of icing.

2. Pugwash

Pugwash What's a Dremel?

I'm curious as to whether the makers of mmo games have the same sort of problem of piracy that non-mmo games have.

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Well seeing as you need to subscribe to play the game I doubt it, although you can join private servers.

4. Pugwash

Pugwash What's a Dremel?

I wonder if that might get round this problem with overbearing copy protection - to start playing a new game, you first have to set up an account - as you would if you were playing an mmo - and pay a nominal amount per month (say 1p - as an example) in order to play.

The need for internet access might still cause problems for a few though I suppose - as would the use of a valid credit card for others.

5. donnie

donnie Moddin' my way out of a paper bag

6. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

LOL Says he who hasn't played the full version of either games! They could be utter poo and that's fact!!! Also why are people now posting literally seconds after one post, another? Surely they could be combined into one post, actually I thought that was a rule or use to be anyway. Times are changing everywhere so it would seem...

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I have played the full version of both games actually. Did a Hands-on with Spore and an interview with the producer, Tommy Vu (both on site) and then I did a brief hands-on with Matt Atwood of BioWare and an interview with him also (on site).

8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

That'll be leper, best to just ignore him, maybe he'll get banned.

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

he is kind of strange and scary at times....

10. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

So… in the vague chances that anyone is still reading this all the way down here… Here's how it went (probably :p)

EA Manager: "So how are we going to get these mugs, I mean customers, to accept this crazy DRM? Perhaps we are going to have to drop it after all…"
    Scumball EA employee: "Don't worry sir, we'll just tell them that they'll have to re-authenticate every 10 days, and then after they all go crazy, let's just tell them what the real plans are. Not only do we get what we want but they'll actually praise us for doing so."
    EA Manger: "Great plan! Trebles all round!"

I didn't buy BioShock for this reason, now I won't be buying Mass Effect either. Great stuff EA! That's £60 of my money you'll never see… I will carry on supporting companies like Stardock and hopefully one day those guys will be top dog in the games industry while EA are left to ask themselves where it all went wrong

11. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

i'm really glad to hear they backed down from the 10-day DRM .:) .. my chances of buying Mass Effect have significantly increased.. though I do not like the limited installs BS.. ..Guess I'll still wait-and-see how people make out after they install it

12. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

The Problem with Bioshock was that when it was released, the uninstall did not release one of your installs.

I believe they fixed that later, so hopefully we shouldn't see the same debacle we did then.

13. impar

impar Minimodder

14. kzrider

kzrider Your mom sent me

Well the way EA takes care of there existing customers now. I`m sure they will give 2 cruds about us in the future. I am of the opinion that, If everyone whom has been screwed by EA were to put in 5 bucks there would be more money in the pot than, Old Bill Gates has ever earned. To bad someone doesnt start a class action law suit against them for THEFT, and a few other choice laws they have and still are breaking.

15. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    You know about the limited installations?

Russian version of Mass Effect has no elaborate DRM.
    No online authentication, no 10-day phone home check, no limited installs.
    Link:
    http://news.snowball.ru/?year=2008&month=5#A200805121306
    Use a online translator. Post was made 12.05.2008 13:06.

16. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Although the Russian version probably makes up for that by using StarForce. ;)

17. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I can't believe I'm saying this about starforce, but I actually think that would be better

18. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I happen to agree, there. I've never experienced the issues with StarForce that many of my friends did (maybe I'm just lucky with the DVD writers I buy) but I've tended to avoid installing it unnecessarily to save nasty surprises. I ran all of my StarForce-infected games on my testing rig, which coincidentally doesn't have a net connection.

It's a sad day indeed when StarForce is a "lesser" evil. :hehe:

19. impar

impar Minimodder

20. Wicz

Wicz What's a Dremel?

Hehehe they can keep the game, I don't care how good it may or may not be.

Tags: Add Tags