1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress HEPHÆSTUS project - Update - 13/jun - page 6

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Yemerich, 8 May 2008.

1. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Well, where to start?...

By the end of 07 i won a modding project contest for the brazilian version of "Windows Vista Magazine".

Here are a couple of pics of the project:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Heres the xploded view (older version).

For those interested in a in-depth view of the project please go here.

This week i started to make the project itself. After considering a bit, i decided to chance it's main color to balck and some details in red. Thats because the red acrylic sheet is sold full, and i dont need a 2,20 x 1,20 meters red sheet. And that would increase the cost of materials (the main ones) by +/-400%. Black acrylic is sold in pieces.

The hardware (at least by now) is:
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Mobo: P6NGM MSI (a terrible one if u ask me)
    GPU: Geforce 8800 GTS XFX Alpha Dog
    RAM: 2 gigs of generic 566 (awfull)
    HD: 2x 160 Western Digital

======================================================
    Last update
    [​IMG]
    More info page 8.

Updates

[​IMG]31/dec/07 - Project posted - another post - In this post theres only the project itself.

[​IMG]07/may/08 - Project Start - Page 1 - This time i finally start building. Made the main pieces.

[​IMG]10/may/08 - First test - Page 1 - One of the top pieces was made as test. Good results.

[​IMG]12/may/08 - Top front - Page 1 - Time to make the other three pieces.

[​IMG]15/may/08 - A nice idea - Page 2 - An upgrade to the top front.

[​IMG]18/may/08 - Base reinforcement - Page 3 - Reinforcement on the base. A very needed update!

[​IMG]21/may/08 - Top piece 2 of 3 - Page 4 - A major revamp on the second piece of the top

[​IMG]23/may/08 - The lock (Top piece 3 of 3) - Page 4 - A unique feature is added to the mod. Check it out!

[​IMG]27/may/08 - Side panels - Page 6 - The side doors

[​IMG]13/jun/08 - Internals 1/2 - Page 8 - The internal structure

======================================================

On to the Picts:

[​IMG]
    First i have measured all the holes, curvatures and cuts carefully. Its hard to see (even live), but they are there, trust me! :D
    At this phase, i like to use my olfa knife to cut all the mask tape traces that are going to pass on the saw. I do that to have a clear view of whats going on as I cut. If u don't cut, the mask tape can gat in place and make the cut harder to see.

[​IMG]
    It may look simple to get from pict one to this one here, but its not. As much as I try, it's impossible to get a perfect cut with the table jigsaw - dunno if thats the name in english. After cutting, theres a looot of filling and sanding to get it perfect. Note that not all the cuts were made. I will do that in due time after measuring the components in place. Specially the mobo and the PSU.

[​IMG]
    The mockup phase. Really important to do before you actually building the mod. Any 2mm wrong and one can lost DAYS solving it... You don't believe?
    Click here! and scroll down to post #33

Well, thats it for the first part.

Cheers friends :)

Last edited: 14 Jun 2008
  2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Thank you! :clap: I have been waiting quietly for this one. This one just really NEEDS to be done. You have the skills.
    John

3. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

i to have been waiting quietly for this to begin.
    it just looks to be so awesome!!!

4. Yemerich

Thank you both! I really apreciate :D

I always say that good critics serves us as fuel, and bad ones as challenge!

These kind words, payied (is this spelled right?) my weeks work! Thanks again! :)

5. Recoil

Recoil What's a Dremel?

I followed the link...now I am jealous. This is one of the most unique case designs I have seen in some time and cannot wait to see the rest. Great job!

6. Yemerich

Thanks Recoil :)
    Almost everything I know (about casemodding that is) I've learned in this site. So it (along with the kind words) serves me as main inspiration :)

7. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Yemerich, congrats on the win for your project! I found your design quite compelling when you posted some original design plans. It is very unique and nicely done.

8. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

I remember reading about this in its old thread. Its is a very intriguing design, and you can pull it off. Have fun!

9. Yemerich

Thanks Scirocco! The design i came easily, but joining design with funcionality was the hard part. But i think all the projects come to this part. :D

Old thread? Wow, it's not That old.. i guess... Is it? hmmmmm... Well at least it was remembered :D

Weekend is almost here and i am planning to work on it for some time.

Thanks for reading me!

Cheers all

10. Yemerich

First test

Today i have done another piece. Look in the detail (in green):
    [​IMG]

The piece is this:
    [​IMG]
    It is composed of three sheets of acrylic weld together, drilled, cut and polished.

To make all the pieces i have made a template (up middle). It have just the external shape, and a 1mm hole wich indicates the center of each major holes:
    [​IMG]
    The two side pieces are already with its drawing that will form 4 more pieces like the one that is in middle bottom.

After meing cutted, they are filled and sanded:
    [​IMG]
    Notice that in the left side of the piece there's a smal difference in the cut.

After filling with thick and thin files, sand with 220, 400 and 660 grit sandpapers and polishing it with polishing compound and sheep pelt, this is the result:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cool, huh? :thumb:

I told that red and black acrylics are great together :):naughty:

see u soon :)

Last edited: 15 May 2008
  11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Yay! You started building!!! You just have to love the layered look. It works so well. ;)
    Why are you not in the project logs? I just now found this log. I would have caught it sooner there.
    You will to want to use posterboard or hard cardboard when you put the plastic in a vice. Cloth doesn't protect the surfaces very well for me.
    Nice polish work! :D

12. Yemerich

Hail Cheap!

You're right, i've misplaced the thread.. I have already solicited the change to bindibadgi :)

Aye, layered acrilyc is fantastic! thats the second time i use this kind of set up :)

Thats not cloth, thats rubber \o/ But u're right again, pinewood is better in that case :D

Cheers mate!

13. Squadexodus

Squadexodus I got my cookie. What about you?

This case makes me think of plasma. Dunno why, but i do. As always, your cases are amazing

14. Yemerich

Thanks a lot :)

But, whais exactly that plasma that u are talking about? Have any links?

Cheers mate :)

15. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

You should ask the organ-grinder, not the monkey. Moved to Project Logs, keep up the good work!

16. Yemerich

Thanks a lot mister organ-grinder! :):thumb:

17. Yemerich

Top front

So here is what i've been working in this weekend.

I know it may look little, but these 8 picts you are about to see took the whole saturday to accomplish!

After the phase in the last update, i began to cut all the pieces. First in the table jigsaw:
    [​IMG]
    I know it's hard to see (again) but the cutting lines are there!

After cutting, this is what i've got:
    [​IMG]
    still lots to do...

With the help of the second most necessary tool in case modding (after the Dremel), the drill press:
    [​IMG]
    After this the pieces were glued so they could go filling.

As the process is the same, i'll post the same picture:
    [​IMG]
    To have that seamless look, the pieces need to be together for the filing process. That way u ensure that there's no "gap" between them. And it saves you time also.

After some sanding this is what I've got:
    [​IMG]
    Sandpapers 220, 400 and 600. In most of the cases, you don't need the 600 grit as the polishing would take care of most of the scratches. As a rule of thumb, everytime you sand "anything" the grit you are using should be enough to get rid of the scratches of the previous one.

I've heard that cats like modding. This must be true! This little tailless fellow was nearby the whole saturday whatching me working :)
    [​IMG]

This is the first test with the iron nickeled tube in place:
    [​IMG]
    The tube is way too shiny. As I have other parts with brushed steel, i decided to sand it a little with 220 grit.

Ive sanded and polished all the pieces for some hours in the process, but still I had some little scratches:
    [​IMG]
    I know the scratches looks grotesque in this picture, but IRL it was almost invisible... So, back to sanding.. This time only dry/wet 400 grit.

After 5 or so hours in the whole process this is what i've got:
    [​IMG]
    Nice!

Then another test in the right place. This time with the nickeled tube in place:
    [​IMG]
    I am very happy with the end result!:clap:

Next step is to put the base together so i can adjust it to my liking.

Cheers fellow modders :)

Last edited: 15 May 2008
  18. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Cool mod, can't wait for more.

19. Teyber

Teyber ******

VERY nice design! loving the top also. will keep an eye on this one!

regards

20. Yemerich

Thanks Teyber! There are more things in the top that are going to be done. i'll start as soon as i can!:hip: