1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Most Disappointing Game you ever played?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by cmberry20, 29 Apr 2008.

1. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Interesting, Riddick has been one of the best games i've ever played, more than sure Tad will vouch for me on this too!
    Tastes between people is quite interesting!

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Bioshock tops my list of disappointing games, tried several times and could never get into it at all. Then again I didn't follow any of the early hype machine propaganda either so I had no idea what was supposed to make it so good (which consequently was nothing at all). I don't think I was able to tolerate it for more than an hour or two on any attempt.

Wasn't too big on Halo 3 either. Single player was pretty meh, and I generally don't care a whole lot for random matchmaking (I like playing with actual friends) for online play.

Final Fantasy 9 was a pretty epic failure for me too. I think at the time it just seemed way too childish and comical compared to the much better, deeper, and somewhat darker storylines of FF7 and FF8. TBH I don't really remember though, never played through it all the way and this was years ago. X-2 was the same way, but for whatever reason I thought the gameplay worked really well for it even though the leveling system was practically identical in 9 and X-2.

3. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

Quake Wars
    BF2142
    PGR
    Halo 2 & 3
    Need for Speed Prostreet (Couldn't you just tell it was going to be bad by the title. Also where are the streets?)
    Monkey Island (Pure Poo, Bring it Joe ;) )
    Oh and World of Warcraft, I kinda like it, but then I don't.

COD4 Single player is fantastic 2nd to only Goldeneye or Perfect Dark, the multiplayer is great as well!

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

FEAR was another one that was a major disappointment, everyone was hyping it up to be the best game ever, I played it and thought it was ok but nothing special really, must have been a slow month for FPS fans.

5. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Nope, I have to take issue with F.E.A.R, I thought it was simply teffific. I will say that the creepy shock inducing moments definitely lost their impact the seond time around but the other elements then came to the fore, I mean how many other FPS games let you do kicks, punches and melee attacks with your rifle butt? The add ons were certainly lacking but the original game was damn good in my opinion.

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

It was awesome the first time you played it - scary, claustorphobic and cinematic. I was awed by the exploding slow-mo barrels and if they'd made levels more varied and better it would have been great. On the second play though the game doesn't do so well though.

What about No One Lives Forever - now there was a good Monolith game!

7. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

OT, NOLF was good, NOLF2 was better. Was hoping they'd maked a third game instead of giving us FEAR.

8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

They did, they made Contract Jack - a lack luster spin-off that killed the series. You play a HARM assassin.

Personally, I preferred NOLF1. It felt faster, longer and more fluid. I love the RPG stuff in NOLF2, but the fact that levels were so linear and scripted a lot of the time really hurt the game for me. That said, stealth in NOLF1 was crap too.

My favourite game gun ever was the Shephard P38 w/ silencer in NOLF1, swiftly followed by the pistol in Sin Episodes. With the P38 you can knock out three headshots before someone hits the floor and it all feels so deliciously satisfying. A puff of blood, a hiss of air, a thump of corpse on floor.

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah I did find some bits good, the creepy bits mainly, but after about an hour you had basically played the whole game. Creepy bits just suddenly went to lots of shooting and then back again to creepy bits, there was no meld of the two, it was like two different games stuck together. Condemned was much, much better IMO.

10. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I havent read alll the replys, but i am the only one that didn't liked Crysis?

It's such a b000ring game... Compared to CoD4, it looks like a snoopy game. Graphically it's amazing! But the action is mediocre at best.

Another game that i had high hopes was Penumbra Black plague. I normally agree with Joe, but i really didn't like that one. Nice physics, but something just doesn't make any sense, like putting soda in the refrigeration system to prevent its leaking...

Splinter cell double agent. It IS a good game, but the other ones are so much better...

[LookingIntoTheCrystalBall] Fallout 3 [/LookingIntoTheCrystalBall]
    JUST KIDDING!!!

11. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

COD4, Assassin's Creed, Scarface, Two Worlds, C&C generals was absoloutely dire....and the one that tops it for me was Lost. They had the best tv series story to play with ever and they completely decimated it with awful gameplay and just rubbish EVERYTHING!! even annoys me still to this day....

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I don't know how anyone can be disappointed with CoD4 - it was everything it looked, and more, and the MP is utterly brilliant tbh.

13. dom_

dom_ --->

Doom3
    Crysis
    Stalker

14. RW2112

RW2112 What's a Dremel?

Frontlines: Fuel of War was the most disappointing game for me. 2 DVD game with a very limited single player game. Was hoping the multi-player would make up for it, but boy was I wrong...:miffed:

15. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Because not everyone buys a game to play the MP, i found the MP utterly boring and repetitive.

Sam

16. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Did you not like the SP either?

17. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Just goes to show everyone is different, I only bought the game for the multiplayer, one of these days I may complete the single player misssions.

18. specofdust

specofdust Banned

The SP was terrible. It suffered from pretty much the main thing people accuse doom 3 off - repetative, boring, outdated gameplay.

19. cmberry20

cmberry20 Mad Scientist

I'm quite shocked at this. I thought COD4 was only of the most refreshing, exciting & playable FPS since the release of HL2. If you like FPS games, how can you not like COD4?
    Then again, people who are disliking FFVII should be boiled alive in a large cauldron of pigs urine!! :D

20. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Because it was boring, it was unrealistic, it had a bazillion spawning enemies, the storyline was crap, the guns were all boring, the enemies were all silly and unrealistic.

The game just played like games played years and years ago, without any of the charm that a game like quake etc. had. I struggled to make myself play CoD4 single player, IIRC I only made it about 75% of the way through it all, but imo that's enough to judge that the gameplay is utter tripe. Of course, I do like FPS - I was reared on FPS and it's my most played genre. This was just crap, that's all.