1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple ordered a brand new imac 24" and it was dead

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sc0rian, 13 May 2008.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

He isn't screaming he just us want to read his post.

Ok ok, you know what.... as much as my post are informative (in any topic) I realized that people do not take the time to read it. They just skim through it at high speed get some keywords and tries to invent what I said. It's a shame.

Legend:
    People: a regroupement of posts

So let me recap this thread:
    - Sc0rian: "I have a dead MAC, Apple will replace it."
    - People: "Manufacture error can occur, it can happen to anyone on any brand, as long as human plays a part in building a device error can occur."
    - People: "If your computer is for your mother, why not build a cheap low-end PC or a mid-range one if she needs power."
    - The dude that no one fully read his post (me): Does she really need a mac?
    - Sc0rian: I was having issues with the PC, as it was hard to use for her.
    - The dude that no one fully read his post (me): "Did you try Vista? Its easier to use than XP. You know if it is for performance wise, both machine should get similar performance."
    - Sc0rian: "No I have not. But As much as I love PC with any OS, I believe a Mac will best fit my mother needs specially that it is easy to use, despite it's high price, and toip thing soff, she receives files from Mac users with Mac programs, so it will be easy to read them without any issues."
    - A person says: "WTF???? A Mac is no PC, how dare you degenerate a Mac to a PC level. hmfm! A Mac is sexy! BTW, Vista is ugly and unusable!"
    - The dude that no one fully read his post (me): "Buying a Mac just for the looks is not very smart." (let me add: Buying an Alienware just for the looks is also equally not smart).
    - Firehed: "Windows cost me hundred of dollars and productivity loss! I am ruined!"
    - The dude that no one fully read his post (me): [Presenting features of Vista OS that is not well known, just for Firehed personal information in case he change his mind or ready to try something new] Moreover [Explaining his issues he was facing SEAMS to not be the OS but the Computer itself.]
    - OleJ: "Good_Byes is a troll, don't read him. He knows nothing, Mac are the perfect machine ever existed, all bow in front of the Mac. Apple, iLife MEEE!" (I am just kidding, just to light up this thread a bit)
    - People: "Windows XP sucks, it keeps crashing after some time, and I have hardware problems"
    - People: "LISTEN! Each machine best fit a person needs, stop fighting!"

This is what I want to say:
    - The dude that is now hated (me): These are not Windows fault (based on the description given). It sounds like a hardware problem, you probably miss configured your computer, or something is damaged, or your computer is over-heating.
    - Typical answer that I will probably get: "You *******, you dare, you dare insult MMEEEEEEeee!!!! I have 60 P.H.D's, uncountable Master degree in everything related to technology in anyway possible! I NEVER make mistakes, I perform a 10 year research before buying my computer, THEREFORE it must be Windows!"
    - The dude that is REALLY hated (me): "Listen it could be Windows, however it doesn't sound like it is. I did not want to offend you in anyway."
    - Typical answer that I will probably get: "You know NOTHING! I am now gone!"

Last edited: 14 May 2008
  2. OleJ

OleJ Me!

@GoodBytes: It's good to read your interpretation of the posts in this thread. I will not argue with you anymore in this thread. I am sad that you feel hated and I sincerely hope that you have not taken offense by my writings as this was absolutely not intended.
    - Aside from that I think it's very noble how much time you spend here on the forums trying to help people even though you are sometimes misunderstood. Kudoz to that.

@Mr Loudmouth - A flamewar does indeed not help anything. You are quite right. But shouting like that? Come on now. Nevertheless I believe it's important to be able to concretize whatever claims made against certain OSs. For instance it is a very good point to consider the target hardware amount when comparing. Its also incredibly important to try and keep it sober and refrain from returning what one might consider an insult. What you read isn't necessarily what the sender meant. Written discussion is a difficult art and very often written "sword fights" actually help develop these skills. Taking a 5 minute break can be very valuable before replying to something. Re-reading ones post and re-reading what one responded to is also very valuable, hence the edit function to either remove unintended miscommunications or to perhaps try to make intentions clearer.
    I think the last thing to be aware of is to refrain from sarcasm and "joking". A figure of speach in my country goes "there's a little truth in every joke".

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I like DOS, DOS is best! :hehe:

4. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Yeah, half-arsed CLI at it's best!

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

were all in the same boat as far as OS's go, you will at some time reach a point where you want to rip your hair out and dance on the grave of the people behind such OS that you're have the bad day about.

Iv tried them all, and i like them all, i just go for the cheapest option with better support, oh wait thats microsoft, shudder! I have been using Xp since it was released as a beta! only i few time i have seen a BSOD and thats been down to a bad overclock or something i know i did wrong, i played around with a network card once, oh the pain!

there again, i perfer to look at the specification of a car and its engine than the external styling, funny that many people mod there PC's inside to powermacs and G5's

6. koola

koola Minimodder

Oh this thread was a rather amusing read.

Hope you got your iMac now. Apple shipping do suck when there's a problem.

7. nitrous9200

nitrous9200 What's a Dremel?

The HD in my dad's iPod mini died after 2 weeks of use, so he called up Apple and they sent out a shipping container two days later. Then he sent it back and got a new one a few days later. Not bad, I would say. I still am not an Apple fan because of the evangelists (who annoy me to no end) and the whole OS X interface and usability. Despite what they say on the commercials, it doesn't seem intuitive at all and it gets really annoying when I can't do simple things like move files to my flash drive.

8. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

At least it died out of box. It's worst when you have everything set up with all your files and apps on there (and even worst, when it's out of warranty).

9. Millusdk

Millusdk What's a Dremel?

Yea that must be just about the worst thing that could happen!
    Does anyone know if the iPod battery still dies after 18 months of regular use?

10. GoodBytes

I have the iPod nano first gen, after 6month of every day use, it lost it's battery life in 4. And Apple said it's normal.

Every time I use my iPod I always have a fight with it, WinMe is more responsive then this crap.
    Perhaps that is what happens when you get a first gen thing, but this is so bad that I think I am getting a Zune 2. Looks promising and looks good (unlike the Zune 1... brown hehe).

11. koola

koola Minimodder

You're comparing a desktop OS (WinME) to a portable MP3 player OS... LOL FAIL. Yeah, go buy a Zune haha.

As for battery life, the new nanos by using flash last a lot lot longer.

12. GoodBytes

Your life is a 'fail'. An OS is an OS, an MP3 player is a calculator same for a computer.
    You can have a a mouse and keyboard if you wanted. I mean Linux runs on it.

Do not laugh or talk at what you do not understand or know. Doesn't mean that you have millions of sheep that goes in one direction that it is the best way to go. The reason why the Zune2 is not greatly successful it is because it is only sold in the US (for now, will expend to Canada very soon), and that they have a lack of marketing.
    I recall the iPod being just as laugh at when it was originally released.Also I don't think that an MP3 player is a fashion statement. It's just an MP3 player. I don't go: "Oh I am going to wear blue jeans today, so I'll pick my blue silver iPod, because it will look SOOO COOOL! hihihi! Tell me what is best the silver of the blue iPod with my pants". I just get what works.
    The Zune 2 is thin-and-light, nice display as well, can play video quiet nicely and also long battery life... Oh and also works! At least, unlike Apple, they know how to program a clock. The time is always correct. It doesn't change all by itself, or freeze. Like I say: If you can't program a clock, don't do program anything else.

Correct, but the battery is smaller, so battery life diminished.
    A C type battery is 1.5V, same for a AAA type of battery. However the C battery last longer. Reason: Bigger battery.

Last edited: 20 May 2008
  13. koola

koola Minimodder

While an OS is an OS in terms of similarity, it's by no means implies that a desktop OS is the same as the iPod OS.

But the sheep are running in the right direction, I mean "it just works" (was this the reply you wanted lol). The Zune 2 is pretty good, I understand and know as I had the opportunity to use when Microsoft visited my uni and demonstrated Silverlight and their other mobile technologies. While I did like some of it's functionality, it's heavily and doesn't last as long as my iPhone (Also a calculator & MP3 player). If you're happy with those sacrifices, then good for you.
    Size does not imply capacity.

14. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Edit: Aaahhh, must read all three pages of thread before replying to the first page:duh:

I will always say (well, most of the time anyway ;)), whatever works for you is the best system for you. I find that Linux works best for me in Office tasks, is cheap (=free) and I don't need anything other than iptables as my security solution. Winodws works best for my gaming (at the moment), but I do like messing with my Wii:naughty:.

I've never used a Mac (well, apart from an Apple II way back when I was in University and BASIC was getting taught there:blush:) so I can't really comment on them.

Also, why get separate MP3 players when any modern mobile phone offers the same functionality, but you can make phone calls as well?

Andy

15. GoodBytes

Simple, I don't want a cellphone. For one I do save a lot of money (about 25$ per month or 100$ depending if it is a plan or pay as you go). In Canada, cellphones companies LOVE to overcharge you, and take the last penny in your pocket.
    Example: http://feeds.engadget.com/~r/weblogsinc/engadget/~3/294218236/
    Anyway, this is how I see it. Also wen I leave my house, I do not want to be called. You have something important to say, then my answering machine will take. Else just hang up before the beep, like most people does. (well for me). If I ever need to call anyone, I'll use a nice public phone. Cellphones is what 0.10$? per minute something like that (in Canada), well a public phone is a small tiny fee until your phone conversation is done. That is correct you pay as much for a 2min call then a 48hours call, hence the term public phone.

I maybe the last guy in the wold without a cellphone, but I don't get what I don't need. Also, as some people say: "you don't become rich by writing checks" ;)

16. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Well I don't think many companies are likely to pander to the needs of "the last guy in the wold without a cellphone".

17. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

problem is the functionality and ease of use of the cell phones usually works like a brick turd-it falls apart in your hand and leaves a huge ass mess. mp3 players generally have pretty simple and straightfoward workings, allow for proper headphones (generally phones ship with crap headphones that are phone specific and cost loads). i used to use my phone (nokia e6300 i think) as an mp3 player on the tube and i swear that the headphones kept falling out an the people around me heard as much as i did outta my phones. they're just...naff. they haven't reached proper functionality. iphone is different, it's an mp3 player first and phone second (but let's face it, the art of the phone (ie, dialling a number) is pretty damn straight forward, although i'm not a fan of the ipod...they seem to have buggered up a phone amazingly)

18. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Lol.

you guys got effectivly trolled into re-running the same argument everyone has had on the internet since, the invention of internet.

The most amusing thing i can glean from this argument is that people cannot understand why people chose something different, be it higher priority on things looking nicer? or is it the functionality which is important?

As to apple design being "sourced" from somewhere, i can testify this is a lie. Pure and simple. Johnathan Ive is probably the most effective industrial designer in the world currently, shortly in front of James Dyson, and possibly even (this is subjective as its my opinion) Mr stark & Mr Conran.

The design of the Ipod will be an icon of our times, (that of the 1998 bondi blue imac which i have sitting under my stairs) as well. Do you know why?

Function - Bringing a simple, easy to operate and run computer to the masses, which fitted in with their surroundings without being brash, overly masculine, and frankly garish. logitech may make the best gaming mice, however put it up against the sleek line of the apple might mouse, it falls on its arse, because its not balanced, It doesnt fit into

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/3481599.stm

19. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

double post

20. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Sotu1, I do largely agree - I was being facetious towards Goodbytes. I still use an iPod, and a separate phone - mainly because my phone's (HTC Trinity) MP3 interface is pretty ropey and I have to use a cheap adapter to let me run normal headphones. Convergence is clearly the way of the future though, and Apple have done a good job in converging the two devices into one neat device. Everyone else is playing catch up (as with the iPod), and whether or not you like Apple's stuff, they are taking the market forward.

Tags: