1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Mathmarauder

Mathmarauder What's a Dremel?

Here's an actual question pertaining to bikes. I bought a really nice Trek in about 7th grade(now almost 21) then they sized me up and gave me a size 18 bike. I have grown considerably does anyone have a chart for height to bike size?

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Some 18" frames will be ok for people under 6'.

They are mountain bike wheels with 1.6" continental sport contanct mountain bike road tyres.

3. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Some Michelin Pro 2's will set you back £20 each for the tyre itself, you need some inner tubes too.
    Also depends what rims you have, provided they're 650c to 700c they'll fit.

4. Toka

Toka Minimodder

nopers :)

All though Im possibly the only roadie with such awesome saddle sore :(

5. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

One of my mates replaced the tyres on his Scott MTB with a either a pair of thinner semi-hybrid or cyclocross ones (I'm not sure which), sorta like you did. Can I ask how does it compare to a complete hybrid bike with hybrid tyres?

6. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I've never ridden a hybrid, but a good mountain bike will have a much shorter frame than one designed for lengthy rides on smooth surfaces. The riding position on my bike isn't good for going fast, it is far too upright and the handle bars are quite wide.

Despite that, I only do short journeys to and from work so it's not much of an issue.

7. Major

Major Guest

Are these bikes any good?

Marin Novato

Scott Sportster P1 and P2

8. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

[​IMG]

Cost £10 second hand, new brakes and levers, some (pretty fat) road slicks and lights + computer. That's all that's new. I ride it 21 miles everyday, and although it can be hard up hill sometimes - being steel framed it's not a brilliant roadbike - it's barely given me any touble.
    Odd handlebars because they're upside down, makes me reach more when riding - that's the best attempt at dropbars I can do.

9. Major

Major Guest

Considering you ride 21 miles a day, surely you should invest in a more expensive bike. :)

10. RTT

RTT #parp

Yeah, they're fine, the Scotts especially.

11. Malvolio

Malvolio .

@Ramble: the only thing you're doing with those "drop-bars" is destroying your wrists. Handlebars are designed with a sweep-back for a reason, so that your wrists can sit at a comfortable angle. Plus it doesn't help that your brake levers are perfectly horizontal; which again is one of the worst things you could do to your wrists.

12. Major

Major Guest

Could you suggest one of the best bikes around the £700 mark? (hardtail), I don't really have any idea of bikes around that price. I did suggest the GT Avalanche Expert or Zaskar.

For my brother btw.

Last edited by a moderator: 21 May 2008
  13. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

No, I can't afford it.

Quite, however I find these a lot more comfortable than my previous configuration.

14. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Looking at that picture, the bars actually look to be at a fairly healthy angle - slightly swept back and slightly tilted up. I'd imagine they are terrible the 'right' way up. To be fair, it's a pretty basic bike and you're never going to get a great riding position. If it works for, stick with it I reckon.

But if you're just doing road miles, get some slick tyres. You'll thank me later. If there's a Decathlon near you, you can get some cheap tyres for a fiver which is all you really need.

15. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Can anyone suggest a decent pair of freeride shoes with SPD's?

I just went into my bike shop today after one of my Cannondale shoes decided to literally tear themselves in half and everything in there seemed to be made of plastic! I just want something that isn't too horrible to actually walk in. I also unclip for the really steep bits (I have a pair of those half'n'half pedals with platform and clip) so I need a shoe that actually has enough support to use as if it was a normal pedal.

16. RTT

RTT #parp

You big girl :hehe:

Shimano MP66s are pretty popular :thumb: I'd get those if i was after a non racing style shoe.

I think I might buy a Commençal Meta 5.5.1 :worried:

17. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

my bike tried to eat me today :(

Was trying to hop over a small wall (a foot and a half maybe) when I clipped it with the back wheel and lost my footing on the pedal, It swung round and hit my shin a clinker leaving a couple o nice wee holes...

[​IMG]

needless to say bystanders were laughing, as was I... I also have a pic of my chin burst open from goin over the handlebars last year but I'll save that for another time...

18. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

What's always as pleasant.. Though it MAY hurt even more when all the spikes of the pedal sink into your calf. Those spikes are real nice as long as they stay under the shoe, but they just don't get along with bodyparts :D

19. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

lol thats what did the holey-ness on the shin... the culprit is below...

[​IMG]

20. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Tis nothing to do with fear! I need my feet free to pull phat stylin!

Or whatever...