1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL Mornington Crescent

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave Penguin, 22 May 2008.

1. Dave Penguin

Dave Penguin O hai.

Anyone fancy a nice relaxing game of Mornington Crescent?

For those of you who know how to play - we'll use Queen Elizabeth Rules, but no tokens. Clockwise moves only, and no lines down for more than 3 turns.

I'll start at Oval, and I'm aligned northbound...

Gryphon likes this.
  2. K

K 528491

If you're playing with an official Parlor adjudicator then I'll take that. Otherwise... I'm at Highbury with a throw of double 4 indicating eastward.

3. Dave Penguin

Dave Penguin O hai.

Very interesting...

I'm four spaces downwise on the curve, and I'm using one of my back hops. So, I end up in Paddington.

I believe sir, that puts your second token in Spoon. So, no bite points for the next two turns.

4. fev

fev Industry Fallout

Time for rule 31a i believe, Using the fact that the Pythagora's theorem interacts with the layout of the underground map, i will play Hyde Park Corner. Touche

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Good pwnage there, fev (even if using rule 31a is a slight rip of Winthrop's classic reversal tactic in 1976).

I think you'll anticipate me to go for Russell Square next, so I'll play Chancery Lane instead. :D

6. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

An interesting strategy...

I take it we're using the the Gaudet variation? If so, I think I'll take a chance with Hodge's gambit and bisect the Circle line with a reverse hop to Old Street.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

But it's a Thursday, so the original Stovold interpretations don't allow use of escalators. I'll shake things up with Blackfriars, in anticipation of a Hutchinson's Gambit.

8. fev

fev Industry Fallout

blast!
    *checks tube map*
    question: are we abiding by the official ban of The 1833 Half Scrotum rule/manoeuvrings?

9. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Certainly. IMO, repeatedly cycling the Green Park interchange totally goes again spirit of the game :grr:

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Green Park is out of play anyway. Wait, am I thinking of Willesden Junction? Can someone in the southern hemisphere check the position of Mars relative to the North Star so we can get a ruling on this?

11. fev

fev Industry Fallout

in that case then I call Elephant and Castle cheateroo and hop to oxford circus

12. iggy

iggy Minimodder

dont be foolish, they were never ratified. a double 2 puts me in a rut with a shoe, so a shortcut through the british museum to aldwych should put me back in good stead for an attempted flashmans kiss.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Damnit. Two jacks and a king. I'm out, unless anyone can spare a shunt around Finchley Road & Frognal.

14. Dave Penguin

Dave Penguin O hai.

Well... that play certainly means my reversal card has been wasted!

However - I'm going to invoke the Herd rule, as originally seen in the Hofstadter variant, and that should move me along a non-perpendicular axis to a station of a denomination equal to or less than half the green value of the average red player stations.

Which, if my calculations are correct, puts me in Waterloo.

And, bonus points for circulating the chicken nunchucks.

15. K

K 528491

I'm thinking that if I sneak in here with my Weasel card and roll an 8 on the West turn, I might just be able to get off at Euston... Unless someone is fortunate enough to block my tirade with a pair of Kings.

16. fev

fev Industry Fallout

drat..only one king and a joker

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The Half Scrotum rule is a bag full of balls, IMHO.

Mars has just passed the Praesepe cluster (M44) in Cancer, at an elevation angle of about 60 degrees. That puts it 30 degrees off the North Star, due South. Keeping in mind the current season, rules therefore state that everything South-East of Oxford Circus/St. James Park and Wimbledon/Heathrow is off limits for the next three moves, unless you can somehow play through Stockwell. In winter, the whole situation is inverse of course.

However, 2008 is a year in which Mars is involved in three Lunar occultations which makes the current situation a slight exception. Gloucester Road and South Kensington are OK, provided the next move is Acton Town and then up to Alperton (Bainbridge's 1965 rule book may disagree because the occlusions all occur in daylight and therefore are not really visible).

Now where were we, Euston? Ah, crap, not many options here. I'll go for Bond Street.

18. fev

fev Industry Fallout

Bainbridge's 1965 rule book was superseded by the mk2 version of the rules which indicate that Bainbridge was a fraud and that South Kensington was a no no.

19. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

as you know well bainbridges 1965 rule book mk2 was a farce and bainbridge was cleared of all charges, so after recounting my reticulated tokens.... Tottenham Court Road

20. alextwo

alextwo <a href="http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p

As the next player after this move I earn four extra jumps, so I'll take inspiration from Pinkerton-Smyth himself and take four sweeps to South Kensington and hold a defensive line against the blue and red walls.