1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News UK Gov plans snoop database

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 May 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Not long ago I saw a short video that said there are over 6 million security cameras in the UK and some already talk back the the pedestrians if they drop litter or something. And now this. Kinda makes me wanna watch V for Vendetta again... "One crazy police state on the way, please wait up."

3. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Have a read of Ben Elton's Blind Faith, a database on everyone and everything is one of the core parts of the whole story with the story's protaganist job being to work out different way to corrolate and track the data to predict what people will do and buy.

I laughed at the time but now.........

4. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

what a waste of storage space and power, isnt the government trying to be green??

5. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

The sad thing is, dont bills like this have the ability to be simply implemented without vote of it is in the "interest of national security/counter terrorism" ?

6. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Time to break out those Cold War code phrases in your emails.

"The Red Herring flies at night!" oh... wait.

7. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

so who will be the first to start sending out the bulk emails with trigger words in them you know words like "kill" + "assassinate" etc etc just to see how much extra work you can cause someone :)

8. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

it will only get leaked at some point

9. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

the goverment keep using the terrorism excuse to continue to erode any rights we have. Soon you wont be able to go to the tolet without the goverment knowing about it. Its just another way that they can try to control the population that works for them makeing sure that we pay our taxes to cover all their 'expences'.
    They all know that they wont really stop the criminals. You only have to look at the fact that the UK has 1% of the worlds population and 40% of the worlds CCTV cameras and yet crime is not going down at all.

Anyway, I think that is enough of a rant for now.

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Remember remember the fifth of November.

Or.. Something.

I'll be laughing my little toes off when they screw it up and publish the info on a live website.

11. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

efficacy, that's a good new word to me, i like it.

Gareth, point of criticism, i find there's too many external links for my liking. it's distracting when i want to just read the article. I don't feel all of them are really neccessary. The link to Google Apps? That's starting to look more like subtle advertising Google have paid for!

back on topic, what's the best way to stop this from happening? The recording of EVERYTHING is just unneccessary. I can kinda understand trying to get data on terrorists and genuinely prevalent issues, but 99% of calls are totally innocent. It's too big-brother-esque.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Criticism noted, although I respectfully disagree. The links are there to provide additional information (especially in the cases of information which could be seen as anti-government, which is backed up with links to mainstream media stories and/or links to the relevant information on government websites), and the Google Apps link is in case the reader doesn't know what Google Apps is. I'd rather provide the links and have people not click on them than not provide the links and stand accused of providing unverified information.

And I can assure you that Google pay me nothing for linking to their site, worst luck. Although if anyone at Google is reading this, PayPal is acceptable.

13. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Well, if we're very lucky, due to Labour losing the Crewe by-election, they'll turn on their supposed 'leader' and effectively commit suicide. Just wait until they lose a disc containing hundreds of thousands of people's personal de... oh, wait, sorry, that already happened. Or screw over their traditional voter base by scrapping the basic tax rate... oh, sorry, they've done that, too.

14. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

15. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

No, the Tories are no better, and neither are the Liberal Democrats. What we need is a hung Parliament where no party has a large enough majority to just be able to force nonsense like this through. However, our voting system pretty much guarantees that it's two-party politics swinging from one extreme to the other, so until the voting system is changed to something like Proportional Representation, it's never going to change.

Chances are that it would never change anyway, though.

16. steveo_mcg

Minority governments and PR aren't all there cracked up to be tbh, nothing ever gets done due to party politics always trying to one up each other. Just look at the farse that the SNP government is causing up here. Your right it does temper the individual parties but it doesn't really provide an environment for change or reform just stagnation and stupid party politics which rarely benefit the populace. Any large projects like this would still get through because the opposition doesn't want to be seen to be weak on national security.

17. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

OMG guys we just lost the Disc with everybodies personal data on! .............again.

18. Kode

Kode What's a Dremel?

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - Benjamin Franklin/Richard Jackson, i believe that was quoted by someone in another thread some time ago, but it holds true, and makes me very angry that the government can get awaywith things like that. Gareth, how about putting any external links at the bottom of the article, so those interested can check them out, and those that only want to read the article dont get distracted? personally it doesnt bother me either way, just a suggestion.

Last edited: 23 May 2008
  19. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Do you really, really think that the government will be able to do something like this? Really?

Name me one government IT system that runs like it should, with 100% accurate data that came on time and on budget. Even easier, name me on government IT system that runs almost like it should, with 95% accurate data that came in slightly late and slightly over budget.

20. steveo_mcg

Which makes it worse. I think there is political willl for a system like this but their ability means it'll be several billion more expensive than the billions allocated, not fit for purpose and probably as porous as a win98 box.

Tags: Add Tags