1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Bye, Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Software' started by xen0morph, 28 May 2008.

1. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Puppy Cheesecake :D

Can you really have a distro flame war? Surely they're all just different parts of the same team :thumb:

2. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

It’s called a well reasoned debate.

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

But it rarely seems that way from the out side :)

True you never spend any time fiddling with XP, its well know to just work (just look at the tech support forum). Unless you want to change the defaults, monitor your temperatures, play a dvd, play a divx, play a dx9 game, play a non dx9 game, write a document, use a spreadsheet....

Last edited: 28 May 2008
  4. Fophillips

That’s because anyone on the outside is wrong!

5. steveo_mcg

6. Glider

Glider /dev/null

There is no outside... just AFK :)

7. Fophillips

Away From Kernel?

8. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

sure why not

strangle gentoo appears to be the easiest distro to get ati cards working (at least for fglrx havent tried the open source one) a simple emerge ati-drivers & emerge xorg-x11 followed by aticonfig-initial was all it took but that was similar to the old drivers for my wireless card

recently ditch ubuntu for gentoo and althou ive had a couple of problems so far i wouldnt change back

9. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I had to install Ubuntu for the articles I wrote... And to be honest, I never had to reinstall more then at that time... It almost made me feel like Windows ;) Can't quite discribe the feeling, but it's something like: "the Ubuntu devs made descisions, which I don't want..."

I only hosed my Gentoo install once, and that was due to a bad IDE controller that didn't write the stuff I wanted to the disk (you realy don't want an IDE controller that improvises what to write). All the rest of the oopses were easily fixed.

10. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

it's quite easy to get help with free software. Getting help with a contaminated distro however is another matter. This may seem harsh but by using propritry software and codecs you slow the development of the free software alternatives. If you use free software you should take the time to understand the philosphy behind it otherwise you run the risk of letting the free software die :|

anyway to add fuel to the fire debian is the best distro ;)

11. steveo_mcg

++

12. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

been there done that, intel ich7 uses a combined sata/pata driver one wrong setting will put it to the wrong one and make it sooooo damm slow its not funny, gentoo 2007 minimal cd has it set right (probably still using the older driver which didnt have the issue) but 08 beta is unusable without looking at all the kernels which i was too lazy to do

13. Fophillips

Have you filed a bug report?

14. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i havent but others have before i discovered the problem

15. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

I just switched my Laptop to a Mandriva w/Xfce GUI / Windows XP dual-boot setup. I find myself using Mandriva way more then I do XP except for when I want to play Age of Empires or Final Fantasy 7.

Mandriva is a pretty cool distro. Lot's of neat things that I'm still learning.

16. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

why not theres been plenty on text editors before, that has its own wikipedia page here, there was some cleaver "insults" used here

17. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

i believe this is what is known as a "civil flame war"!!! watching this thread for the amusement of linux on linux fanbashing!

18. Max Spain

Max Spain What's a Dremel?

For codecs look here. I am primarily a Ubuntu user, but I tried out Mandriva (KDE) and it seemed nice. I still went back to Ubuntu though even though imho 8.04 is not their best work.

19. Glider

Glider /dev/null

There's no need for a text editor flamewars... There's only one real editor and that's VIm, Nano is for the wannabes and ed is for the dinosaurs... Can't really consider emacs to be a text editor, now can we?

J/K BTW ;)

20. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

emacs a good operating stystem only missing a good text editor (j/k), i thiught the church if emacs and the vi the editor of the beast was rather cleaver

Tags: