1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Virgin Twotting Media

Discussion in 'General' started by LeMaltor, 29 May 2008.

1. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Just got a letter through the post informing me the gits have only gone increased the time when users can now be throttled, 10am - 3pm onto of 4pm - 12am:wallbash:

Stuck between a rock and a hard place between these and British Telecom (who were complete numpties when I was with them) :waah:

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

To be honest, 5 hours of throttling a day ain't especially bad, so long as the service you get the rest of the time is fine. Unless you're on a <2Mbit connection, that's as fast as you can consume the stuff you're downloading.

3. Daniel114

Daniel114 What's a Dremel?

Am I reading this right? so you only get from 3-4 and from 12-10 without any bandwith throttling?

does this only apply after a certain download limit has been reached or is it all the time?

4. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Last time I checked they monitor everyone's downloads during those hours, then they take the top 5% of downloaders and throttle them for a few days. It's annoying but as long as you don't download inside the peak hours there's not really a problem.

I'd still rather be back on Telewest though :(

Edit: They've changed it again since I last looked. It's now a fixed limit inside peak hours (again) and the management period is apparently 4pm-9pm.

I don't mind the fixed limit inside peak hours as long as it's reasonable, since I get very good speeds inside and outside those hours. They do seem to chop and change the policies every few months though :confused:

Last edited: 29 May 2008
  5. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Unlucky dude. I have Tiscali, and they seem to throttle you 24/7....

I'm told Sky broadband and 02 are good ones to try... does anyone have any recommendations?

6. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

bt have been throttling something stupid lately. its supposedly a 8mb line, but over teh last few months its coming out like 512kb.. probably pissed its being cancelled for virgin media lol

7. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

They word it very confusingly. It's not just the top 5% of users, it's all the users, they just throttle you if the amount you download goes above what the top 5% would download in that time.
    Bring back ntl, when they were too poor to even try this.

8. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Hurm well I got the letter about 5 mins before I posted this here, so what to believe my letter or that website? They might be both wrong :hehe:

I'm not posting as someone who max's their connection 24/7, I am just annoyed at paying for a service that they cannot deliver to me 24/7, if that makes any sense :brrr:

edit: I would also like to apploguise for writing twotting in the thread title, I was just very angry, so if it affends anyone please remove it :X

9. KID52

KID52 Minimodder

I'm on 10mb and altough it is nice and I get the full 1.17mb/s download, I'm not sure which policy they are following, their old policy was 800mb between 4 and 9, get limited for 4 hours, their new one is 2400mb between 10 and 3, and 1200mb between 4 and 9, get limited for 5 hours, I downloaded 780mb within about 5minutes of it turning 4 and got limited for 5 hours, not sure how as I shouldnt have been effected by either the new or old policy, even if they were following the old policy and my network monitor was off by 20mb, I should have only been limited for the 4 not the 5 hours.

10. naokaji

naokaji whatever

the problem with virgin is that it doesnt take much to get throttled, where I live we get that crap permanently... shared property Cheesecake..
    seriously, if you live alone and only do some light browsing its ok, but with several people doing that they allready hit the turn connection to crap button.

11. mushky

mushky gimme snails

They've just figured out I've been getting free cable for 3 years and what to start charging me £25/month. Might have to cancel and get sky broadband now :D

12. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

It should be 'twatting' but you can't accuse me of being pedantic.

However, I've no sympathy with your moan. If you want a true uncapped service then pay for one instead of overloading the ISP's servers and slowing honest people's connections. TANSTAAFL.

13. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I, as is the op, paying for an unlimited service. I signed up to a contract which didn't include this rubbish. If VM can't keep up with demand thats there problem not mine or the poor "honest" user, who is happy to be paying through the nose for a service they don't use.

14. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

Its not that bad tbh. It throttles your connection by 75%, so I'll still be running at 15Mb. And thats after downloading 6GB or uploading 1.4GB during those hours.
    Not something I'm gonna do tbh. And even if you need to download that much, just leave it overnight instead.

15. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

16. KID52

KID52 Minimodder

If you are on 20mb, you will be throttled to 5mb.
    If you are on 10mb, you will be throttled to 2.5mb.
    If you are on 2mb, you will be throttled to 1mb.

17. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

Doh, mis-read that big time!
    Oh well, 5Mb is a hell of a lot better than less than 1Mb as it ended up with with ADSL.

18. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

That would be true if prices were based on your use case. They aren't, they are based on the average use case. The average is shifting, so the ISP has a choice: change something or file bankrupcy.

You have been happily underpaying for a service that had a lot of headroom anyway. Now the headroom is gone, and you wanna hold on to the perks you had.

TBH, 10 hours of throttling a day done only to the heaviest group of users seems very fair to me.

19. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

So basically its now capped all day, ffs. This isn't what i signed up for!

Xtrafresh: if they want to change the terms that fine, but they need to allow users to either pay more or leave, i currently have neither option.

20. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Without going back to BT where are these awesome honest (sign up for 20MB get 20MB) connections you speak of?

Tags: