1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors A77 Average speed cameras

Discussion in 'General' started by c.cam108, 30 May 2008.

1. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

OK, so has anyone actually been caught by these? Has anyone actually been caught speeding and had to pay up because of them?

Reason I ask is that a mate of mine was doing 70 down the southbound carriageway and missed the 50mph limit sign. Continued at 70 until he reached the end of it and realised, oh crap, I'm gonna get stung. However, no fine came through the door. Does this mean that these cameras are actually dummies? That they actually catch nobody? I know that they work to reduce speed, as everybody can be seen with their eyes glued to the speedo making sure they don't exceed 50 (obviously the safest way to drive :eyebrow:.)

_C

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Looks like they're fakes for now, depends on how long it's been since he drove through though - the police/DVLA have 14 days to contact you afaik. :(

And yes, average speed cameras are madness - they work, but they also stop people watching the road anywhere near as much as they should.

3. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

It was well over a month ago. He could have just been lucky and the camera couldn't recognise his number plate.

_C

4. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

Im still a learner (got my test booked) and so I drive like that pretty much all the time, it sucks having to stick to the speed limit exactly, not saying I'm going to speed when I am a legal driver, but we all deviate slightly.

5. Krikkit

Indeed we do. I tend to a speed that I think is safe, whatever the speed limit (as long as there's no cameras about), in fact I don't pay attention to the speedo half the time, just whether it "feels" right at that speed.

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I can't do that any more. Last time I was coming up the M1 there was zero traffic, so I was just happily pottering along with no other cars to keep the pace. I glanced down at the speedo to find I was well in to triple digits :worried:

7. Krikkit

Yeah... That happens to me while I'm at the helm of my 60hp beast... :worried:

8. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

My car won't let me go past speed limit on highway.. it starts wobbling and shaking and vibrating and jittering and makes driving so horrible that I just never go over 70mph :p

Though I have burnt past speed cameras in 55mph zones at 110mph (it was like sitting inside a massage machine from the vibrations) :D
    (Yes.. there was nobody else and it was a straight road)

9. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

ok, whos talking about mph and whos talking in km/h? i thought in Europe its all km/h? lols, it can be confusing on board with people from all over the world.

speed limit here is 100km/h and I usually drive 110-118km/h. though there are times when everyone is going fast like today after work and i was going like 122km/h. here for the most part the cops only pull you over after 20+ over limit. depending on area. i dont weve got any speed cameras near me. i think there are some in the big city an hour from me but not too many.

i would hate to be caught by one of those speed cameras but good thing is here it doesnt affect your drivers license. you just have to pay a fine because they cant know for sure who was driving.

im glad we dont have them all over here as ive been up to about 100mph before. (i wish we had smooth roads. car dont like going that fast) and me and dad had been up to 135mph. that wouldnt be a good ticket to get. :p

10. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

being a learner driver is like being noobified, just got it and like i have to stay under the speed limit until ive been driving some more, so everyone overtakes me. its soo annoying!

11. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

You still have your 3 years probation once you've passed the test though...
    fastest I've driven was 105mph on the M40, but that was in my dad's car :worried: The corsa vibrates baaaad and feels like it's gonna explode >70mph (it's a 1.4L, but old), and the defender does that >60mph!!

12. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Everyone from the UK is talking mph, we're not conforming to metric Europe just yet :p

That sounds far more sensible, here you usually have to go to court to attempt to prove you weren't driving. :eyebrow:

13. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Whilst ianal, i very much doubt average speed cameras could be enforced in Scotland. One of the bases of Scots law is the need for two forms of proof, the gatsos convict by having both the radar trip and the lines on the side of the road, or in some cases reading the speedo through the window. These, to the best of my knowledge, have no corroboration and as such would be unusable, although it may take a test case to acually force the issue.

14. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

Lol been there. On the M6 Toll. Although I've been driving for only 6 months so I'm scared to get it above 90 for the sake of my licence. No cars around so I thought I was going about 75. Turns out it was nearer 100. Surprising for a Honda Jazz lol.

_C

15. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

tried to get my old ford focus up to 120 on the m25 at 3am coming back from the airport once - it just couldn't quite manage it; hovered at 115. I probably could have pushed it but it's remarkable just how quickly you run out of road going that fast.

also, yeah, there was nobody around. there' something rather awesome about being the only guy driving down 5 newly laid lanes.

my new A3, though.... :naughty: let's just say i need to keep a fairly careful eye on the speedo.

16. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

Drive slightly below the limit that way you don't have to fart around checking your speedo every 2 secounds. It will get you though your driving test. Examiners hate fast drivers they will find an excuse to fail you even if your within the speed the limit. You can be too fast and within the speed limit.
    But back to the subject i would agree that the camara proberly didnt reconise his plates. Isnt doing 70 in 50 enought to loose you licence? He got lucky form teh sounds of it.

17. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

Don't think it's enough to make you lose your licence, but it's a hefty penalty. In the local paper someone was caught doing 86 in a 50. Got 6 points and a £1000 fine. Now there's an incentive not to speed!

_C

18. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

I really hate speed cameras. Many a time I will be happily pottering along perfrectly safely, keeping a reasonable distance from the car in front, and then have to brake sharply because I'm doing 35-40 in a 30 zone.

Anyway, rumour has it that some average speed cameras can be avoided by changing lanes.

Also, you shouldn't drive below the limit on your test - you need to drive AT the limit (assuming it's safe to do so). When I did my test the examiner almost failed me for doing 45 in a NSL zone, but decided to let me off has he was in a good mood :p

I find it incredibly annoying having to focus my attention on looking for little yellow boxes (or driving at the limit when Mr Transit Van is up my rectal area) instead of concentrating on the road ahead.

Also, they seem to have grey ones in Preston now. Sneaky little *******s.

19. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

:clap:

20. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

It's true. The licence for the average speed cameras only allows for cameras to only monitor one lane per pair (start & finish cameras). If you change lanes between cameras, they can't do anything because they're not allowed to! I remember a spokesperson from the DTI/DoT (whoever is responsible for issuing the licences) confirmed it when the news broke (about 12-18 months ago?)
    No, you should drive at a speed that is safe for the conditions and within the speed limit. You probably got marked down for driving too slowly (45 in a 60/70 zone could be considered as causing a hazard).
    Yes, the government legislation that required all speed cameras to be marked and painted yellow ran out last year, I think. The government kept very quiet on that one :grr::miffed:

I drive within the ACPO limits (10%+2 for non-motorway, 85mph for motorway) because I can't afford to get caught another time - 9pts on the licence, all from hidden mobile camera vans.

Tags: