1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC TV too far away for cable, would this work?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by M2k3, 30 May 2008.

1. M2k3

M2k3 Wired to the Core

Hello,
    I'm trying to move my TV from the basement of my house to the 1st floor. The basement is much too small for a 40" flatscreen and upstairs it will be much less crowded when having guests over. The only problem is that there is no cable connection anywhere in the room that I want it in and because of the way that the house is designed it is extremely difficult, if not, impossible to route a cable up there. So I looked into getting some kind of wireless cable thing going and I saw this: http://www.x10.com/promotions/wireless_video_sender_vk82a.html
    Now that is the most gimmicky thing I have ever seen, I've looked into different brands and models and other stores and all of those are either very expensive (>$99) or they look like something from a cheesy infomercial.

So I thought I'd look into another kind of wireless, the 802.11 kind. Since I plan on using a 1.8GHz Athlon as an HTPC (still hunting for some real cheap DDR1 :waah:) I checked out this: http://anuragworld.googlepages.com/remotetv
    It's called RemoteTV and it lets you stream and control TV from another computer with a TV tuner over the network. So I tried it over a wired network and it seems pretty stable, I want to use it to relay the cable connection to upstairs. I'm just a little bit worried that a wireless connection won't be able to stream this flawlessly. I want to spend as little money as possible I was looking at this wireless card http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3350606&CatId=2688 and even that is really pushing it for me as far as price goes.

Basically will I be able to stream TV over 802.11 or should I just use standard cable because even though right now it is really difficult to get it up there but it might be less hassle in the long run. Any thoughts on this? Recommendations? Alternatives? Has anyone else run into a similar problem with their TV setup?

2. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Well if you can get cat5 to the first floor you can get cable there too.. The cable is not that much bigger is it??

3. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

If you notice, he said he tested it with a wired connection, and he hopes that it will work over wireless, he also mentions buying a wireless card.

Now can't you just pay for someone to come round and install a second cable in the required room, i know it can be alot of money but its saves alot of hassle and you will have a reliable connection.

4. OleJ

OleJ Me!

MediaPortal supports having a TV-server as well. It's free and I've been using it on my HTPC for years and have been very happy with it. With MP you can control the encoding of the TV signal iirc which means you might be able to squeeze it through over wireless. Nevertheless I think you should try asking on the forums there as ppl are very helpful and know a lot on how to do pretty much everything with MP as there are lots and lots of plug-ins and other cool options.

5. M2k3

M2k3 Wired to the Core

I can't get either up there, that's why I want to use wireless.

I really don't like paying for something that I can do on my own, it is just a problem finding a way to route cable up there. I could probably eventually figure something out but I wouldn't ever hire someone else to do this.

It looks interesting, I'll need to test this against VLC to see which one is better quality.

Tags: