1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nehalem and X58 show up in Taipei

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 30 May 2008.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

12GB here i come :)

2. TurtlePerson2

TurtlePerson2 What's a Dremel?

Ditch the legacy and include a PCI adapter that has legacy ports if needed.

3. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

woo triple channel fits perfectly for the dodgy memory limit in winxp (which we all know will be in use long into nehe :D)

4. Multiplectic

Multiplectic His Stigness

Uumm, yeah, right. Please, could we just don't go there?

5. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

I like that idea, I'm tired of legacy taking up space and efficiency, but all they need to do is include a legacy adapter.
    Seriously, I don't even have any IDE drives left, haven't used floppy in six years and that was only for my laptop drivers, and while I keep a PS2 keyboard in the closet for emergencies, I haven't had any such emergency in five years. Move on people, I need more Sata ports.

6. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

You don't even need to buy that you can just buy a Parrel(DB-25) to USB cable that's what i got at work for all our HP lasterjet printers works a treat, they didn't cost much either we picked up about 40 of them.

Can't wait to see some benchmarks for this, can't wait for it!

7. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

thanks, made me recall have then first first giant slot dual fan external cache athlon......times has certainly flown by

8. iwod

iwod What's a Dremel?

You have money to buy a NEW CPU, Three NEW DIMMs, NEW Heatsink, NEW Motherbroad...
    And you still have component that needs legacy port like PS2, Parallel Port, and Floppy??
    Why not replace them as well?

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This was exactly MSI's and my arguments - however they have to listen to all their customers until there becomes a time when it's not economically viable or blindingly obvious that you dont need it anymore.

10. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

I would normally agree with those who are calling for the death of floppy drives, indeed, my last two builds are happily floppy free.
    BUT...
    A friend of mine just wanted me to upgrade his computer with new HDD/DVD-RW etc. and an E4500 in his Asus P5V-VM mobo. Guess what? It needs a BIOS update.
    No probs.
    Whip out my old USB floppy. Nothing.
    Make a CD. Nothing.
    Well over an hour of mucking around and troubleshooting, I spend 15 minutes hunting up a floppy drive and cable (which I should have done in the first place).
    Install floppy in system, and 3 minutes later I have a newly flashed BIOS and a happy mobo with an E4500 whirring away. 3 minutes!
    These things shouldn't be so difficult, but until they are the floppy should stay.

11. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

I'm curious to see how the performance/power consumption ratio is going to be. I remember to upgrade my system, from Northwood P4 2.8 GHz to a E6600 Core 2 Duo and kept the same 420 Watts PSU (upgraded recently to a 480 Watts modular PSU). Needless to say that the performance difference was remarkable.

I wonder if it's going to happen something similar on my next system upgrade....

12. Multiplectic

Multiplectic His Stigness

Well, lately ASUS BIOS' have an upgrade utility inside them, with the ability to recognize USB drives. Or you could do it from Windows itself. No need for floppies anymore. :)

13. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

Concerning legacy, if you have PS/2 ports, you probably have everything else too because chances are, the OEM used a super IO chip which has a floppy control, serial ports, a parallel port, and PS/2 ports.
    System firmware has gotten better all around for modern PC interfaces like USB, but ultimately, what goes onto a mainboard is the choice of the OEM.

You would not believe the sheer amount of stuff companies will still run under DOS, and this is where legacy becomes a huge hassle. DOS is a 16 bit OS based on old PC standards, and expects certain thing.
    This little bit of code can be one of the most depressing to come across after hearing "this DOS program hangs the system":
    Code:
    in al,64h
    and al,02h
    jz $-7

Basically, the program is trying to check the location where a keyboard controller would normally be, and will loop forever until it gets a byte. No KB controller means it will never get that byte.
    There are utilities that also deal with other old quirks of PC architecture that are no longer necessarily valid.

There are some alternative SIO parts that limit what they have on them, but IIRC, it's usually easier to get a standard desktop chip.
    The add in card is a nice idea, and I have seen it done on reference boards, but there is no standard physical interface, and the software needed to set up the chip varies from chip to chip. So the lack of standards make that one tough unless the OEM is willing to do it on their own.

14. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

looks to be an interesting future for nehalem and intel, hopefully this time around they will release non-synthetic benchmarks but based on real world performance. The thought of crysis utilizing all 8 cores and even windows vista, not to mention the sheer number crunching capabilities!

15. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

crysis cant/wont even utilise 4 fully, 8 cores is going to be so terribly terribly redundant for desktop use for a good while to come imo
    i've not found anything outside of video encoding that will peg my q9450 at 100%
    and dvdshrink is now limited by disk i/o rather than cpu

16. naokaji

naokaji whatever

hehe yep, only thing that can stop intel in the desktop market is software not making use of all the fancy new stuff:worried:

17. HatriX

HatriX Æ

Heh, nice one. Not going to change my mind on getting a Q6600 based system though.
    And about the ports.. they should leave only one PS/2 - for the keyboard, and maybe a floppy. I mean c'mon, parallel port? What the hell for? Even my 1999 black and white (!) laser printer uses USB. :rolleyes:

18. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

As for legacy I don't get the PS/2 craze. I use a USB keyboard, and most of you are already using USB mice.

MSI is already doing EFI and I hope they will put EFI on a Nehalem based motherboard as well.

Time to bring the PC up to date once and for all. Just look at the Apple Mac hardware now which is basically a PC with no legacy components.

19. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i strongly advice strictly buy PS2 keyboards.

USB keyboard and mouse will NOT work with system startup shortcuts that you set in the BIOS. a friend of mine wanted to use keyboard shortcuts to start up, but no, the Asus board requires PS2 keyboard to be able to use that feature.

USB isn't amazing, when you get to program with it, you'll find out it's pros and cons. this is why most embedded system programmer still wants legacy RS232 support.

speaking of embedded systems. they have those single PS2 socket to mouse+keyboard PS2 adaptors, why don't manufactures use this? so 1 PS2 will support both keyboard and mouse at the same time, and have the space for 2 USB sockets.

20. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner What's a Dremel?

eh, 2x1GB + 2x512MB = 3GB dual channel ;)

But seriously, PS2 for a mouse has had its day, and for pretty much every other peripheral out there, legacy connection have run thei course.

The only thing I would like to se kept is the PS2 keyboard connection, as was stated by others.

I can even remember the last time I had a PS2 mouse.......

Tags: Add Tags