1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BT is capping me!

Discussion in 'General' started by culley, 12 Jun 2008.

1. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

So on Teusday i got back from work and i noticed that my internet was very slow and i mean slow so i checked my router to see that it reads the normal 5696kpbs and it was, but it was slow as hell so i decided to check out www.speedtest.net i ran the test and to my suprise i maxed my speed out at 50kpbs i thought this was strange. Yesterday morning i checked to see weather my internet was back to normal and it was, strange i thought to myself so i goto work and come back to find its doing the same thing again, i checked this morning to see weather its back to normal and it is.

I assume BT is capping me there is no other explanation, the thing is im on the Option 3 broadband which means i have an unlimited cap, i forgot that unlimited means x ammount. I can't of download more than 40GB this month and last month i was on holiday in thailand for the last two weeks so it seems unlikely to me!

Good thing i dont use P2P, im strictly FTP with SSL. :)

2. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

BT capping you? Bit-tech, how could you? is it just bit-tech thats slow or all the other sites?

3. RTT

RTT #parp

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I'm having the exact same issue at the moment, between 6pm and midnight I get around 50k (or less) and then immediately at midnight it jumps back up again.

5. charlesbeams

charlesbeams TRANCEFORMer

mine was like this before, but now its restricted ALL the time, highest it gets is like 60k :(

6. dom_

dom_ --->

7. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

ROFL i hope he was joking!

This is beggining to be a joke, i can't watch no videos/show's on the web without it buffering every 3mins iTunes has now turned into slowTunes (damn video podcast's).

8. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

he's from New Zealand, I guess he doesn't know what BT is. To inform you, Oreon, they're a POS ISP. I don't use youtube anymore due to, more often than not, the video doesn't load. I dunno, ring 'em up, punch 'em down the phone.

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

QFT. Be* rock.

10. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

Good point, So i was on the phone to BT and they claim that i have been using to much bandwidth!

11. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

tell 'em they have it the wrong way around, they're not providing enough bandwidth for you to use so it appears that you are using too much.

12. Korvaz

Korvaz What's a Dremel?

Besides the terrible routers they supply. :blah:

13. Krikkit

I dunno, they're not that bad really, and if it matters that much, take some of the money you saved not going to BT and buy a decent one. :D

14. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Is it deffo BT that's the ISP?
    I used to get the same level of throttling on Plusnet.

Its a pain but they're all having to do something to rein-in the heavy users. :/

15. Korvaz

Korvaz What's a Dremel?

To be fair, it isn't even the router, it's the custom firmware they insist you use. I got my own router, though, 'cos it's smaller :worried:

16. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Buying more bandwidth instead of buying equipment to throttle everyone instead i hope :lol:

17. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

I have never understood this. Why sell 'unlimited' packages, with limits? Surely thats false advertising?

I am also throttled :(

18. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Technically it's not limited, they allow you to download as much as you want, it's your speed which fluctuates.

BT are the ones enforcing the capping as it's their **** network which holds the entire country back from getting proper broadband speed.

19. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

in other news tiscali seem to have a terminal lack of avaiable bandwidth during the day:
    [​IMG]
    This is on their business package that is ment to have no throttle so I presume they just don't have the gear to provide decent speeds.

20. Krikkit

You don't really have to use their firmware - just make sure you reflash it before you send it back to them. I've stuck a DG834GT on my connection, and it goes like a dream. Synch's about 19Mb, which isn't too bad considering how far it is to the exchange.