1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Scart -> VGA, Looking for DVD-Player

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aterius Gmork, 12 Jun 2008.

1. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Hi guys,

Currently I am using a 40" TV - NOT flat. My room is pretty small, and this huge thing eats away a lot of space. Plus I find it too big to watch something comfortably. But I got it for free.
    Now I have a spare regular 19" TFT monitor, and figured: Why not use that? It has no TV tuner, but I'm considering giving the video recorder a revival as it has a built in tuner and offers scart out. Somewhere I have read that Scart -> VGA is possible, as the pins are the same. As a :dremel: soldering a few lines really is no trouble at all.

Is this true? What do I need to do?

Then I am searching for a decent DVD player. Yup, DVD not Blueray or HD. I hardly watch movies at home. Main use will be listening to music CDs/DVDs. It MUST be smaller than 42cm in width, and have decent sound. Decent (as good as it gets), not out of this world, mind you. My budget for it is 60-100 in whatever is your currency.

2. imkeller

imkeller What's a Dremel?

You would need a VGA converter box to connect the scart to your screen I think.

3. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Depends on the signal sent down the Scart cable, as Scart uses different signals such as composite video, s-video, sometimes component and RGB.

You need to make sure that your DVD player can output the RGB signal via scart.

You can make your own cable like so....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Code:
    Function                 SCART male            VGA male
    Red 	                         15 	                 1
    Green 	                        11 	                2
    Blue 	                          7 	                  3
    Red return 	               13 	               6
    Green return 	               9 	               7
    Blue return 	                5 	                8
    Composite sync return 	 17 	                 10
    Composite sync 	            20 	                   13
    Chassis ground 	             21 	          chassis

You may also add stereo audio to the scart cable by soldering the following pins...

Code:
    Audio left on scart pin 6
    Audio right on scart pin 2
    Audio ground on scart pin 4

Hope this helps.

Last edited: 12 Jun 2008
  4. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Alright...

So the best would probably to just try it out? Besides the loss of a scart and a vga cable, what could possibly happen?

Can anyone recommend a DVD player?

5. paul_s57

paul_s57 What's a Dremel?

Ok, now I could be totally wrong here, but when I was looking at this a while back I found out that it is only possible to connect a SCART device to a VGA monitor if the monitor supports the correct refresh rates sent out from the SCART device, now this should be set at 15.625KHz. So if your monitor you want to use can't accept this refresh rate then the only way it will work is if you buy an adaptor, which usually cost £50+ which can sort out the refresh rates.

6. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

7. Xact

Xact What's a Dremel?

Perhaps, this is the reverse: VGA out - SCART in

I tried a connection very alike to that of Delphium - save pin 19 for composite video output (SCART specs) - with an old TFT monitor - NEC multisync LCD 1810 (horizontal sync range 24 to 80 KHz) - and got a good image sync but greenish. The colour temperature doesn´t fixed this, so I think it could be the refresh rate as paul_s57 suggests, provided the welding be sound.

8. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

The connector Delphium illustrated works well. I used it (in a reverse direction to what you will) on MAME Over. If you are finding you are having sync (wavy picture) issues you may have to solder up pins 13+14 on the VGA connector (HSync + VSync = CSync). I did but, then that may be for CRT not TFT like you are doing. I'm putting it out there just in case you have the same problem I did.

9. Xact

Xact What's a Dremel?

A very interesting arcade Constructacon, perhaps you know this site http://www.marcianitos.org/foro/index.php , but this is not the posted question.

I presume that the greenish image is owed to the SOG - sync on green - used by the component video YPbPr/YCbCr sent by the DVD player throught the progressive scan output. This is the only output a TFT monitor can receive from the DVD player, as the other components output are interlaced needing a complex deinterlacer.

It seems that there are some basic circuitry to split the Csync form the VGA green line, or so I expect it. What news?

Last edited: 19 Jun 2008