1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft: We never cancel games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Jun 2008.

1. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I just realised how hipocritical that was...

Sorry...

2. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

PS3 Fanboys are a sad lot when they cant realize the console sales mean nothing when no one is buying the games... I don't have either a PS3 or 360. I am a PC gamer, so I have no bias towards either. But in all honestly, I would say 40% of the PS3's sold we sold because of blue ray capabilities. I know in the store I worked in at the time of release, there was no one beating down our door for them as a gaming console, all the PS3s we sold were sold from our home theater department as Blu-ray players with gaming capabilities.

I just don't see that many games for the PS3, at least none that are exclusive. Any good looking game that the PS3 has, most of them are available on the 360 as well. There is just no real advantage to the PS3 in my opinion.

3. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

Again PS3 sales are more about the Blue-Ray player than anything. Why would you get a PS3? The games? All the great games on the PS3 are on the 360 as well, and generally play better on the 360 because of the huge online community. PS3 does not have an exclusive killer app like the 360 does. Whether you personally like Halo or not, no one can deny the game sells unbelievably well.

Maybe things will turn around when FFXIII rolls in. Of coarse the point is moot, Nintendo is #1 right now.

And don't imply I am a fan boy, I don't own any of the next gen consoles. I have my PC, PS2, GC, and DS.

4. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

LOL, load of BS, the vast majority of people barely know what Blu-Ray is or cares, it will be 5 years before it becomes mainstream. People know the playstation as a gaming system and that is why the majority are buying it. Most people are not tech saavy, nor are on top of the latest in it,.

Have any facts to back up that bogus claim? Blu-ray is not selling well, most people are happy with DVD for the forseeable future.

5. Lepermessiah

Proof?

The only reason 360 game sales are higher are because of the year start and larger install base, many PS3 games have sold in the millions, learn the facts. Blu-Ray sales are less then 1%, so no, most people are buying the PS3 as a gsming system. If no ome was buying games game companies would not make games for it anymore, let alone exclusives. That is a BS argument spread by 360 fanboys. The software sales will overtakle the 360 as the console install base gets larger.

6. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Really....very little exclusives? For some reason when I count, I find 35+ exclusive titles for the system not including titles like Ninja Gaiden Sigma or course. There is plenty of content for both systems, thank you.

7. landi_uk

landi_uk What's a Dremel?

WOW Lepermessiah, take a pill, chill out and go back to your PS3, before you get accused of being a PS3 fanboy.

I have both PS3 AND 360.... which do I play on the most .... the 360, because the online side is more polished and complete than on the PS3.

I'm a "social" gamer and couldn't care less about these "my console's better than yours" arguments that appear on EVERY thread on the net where a site dares to do a comparison between the consoles.

I just wish I could get news and commentary without all the flame wars

8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

There are exclusives, and exclusives. MGS4? An exclusive. Ninja Gaiden Sigma? Not an exclusive. It's essentially a port of the earlier game.

Likewise, there are 35+ exclusives, but when many of those are games that are far off or PSN type things then it doesn't really count for much. By that meter you could count every single XBL game as an exclusive.

9. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

It can be argued that people don't care about Blue-Ray. But most people know what it is. You can't walk into any major electronics store without seeing a Blue-Ray kiosk (or 3, which is what my local Best Buy has).

all i am saying is there is no reason to get a PS3 if all the bast games are on the 360 and the 360 is a cheaper console. The choice is easy to make even for a non-tech savy person.

10. Lepermessiah

Best games are on 360? says you, lol. stop making blanket statements that have no facts behind them, pure opinion and many will argue the opposite. The opnly reason the 360 has more software sales is it jhas more users, pretty simple concept, year head start. That will also go bye bye soon.

11. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Can't they just co-exist in harmony?

I know my Wii and my 360 love each other to bits, I swear they share a disc at night when I'm a sleep they're a dirty couple really

12. devdevil85

Joe, I cited Ninja Gaiden Sigma because I was trying to say that it wasn't an exclusive even though wikipedia and other sites say it is when it is not. Secondly, he said 'exclusives' and I named some off. Lastly, games like echochrome and PJ:Monsters are games worth mentioning IMO as exclusive "titles" since they are polished, intuitive and lengthy downloadables vs. straight-up generic shooters or puzzle games.

I'm just trying to prove to him that the PS3 has many exclusive titles to offer for its first year and 7 months of life (sure some of them weren't blow-me-away titles, but they were still good exclusives).

13. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

OK First of I worked at an electronics store. I know exactly what people came to buy and why. When working in Home Electronics and someone comes in to buy a big screen HD TV and they see a Blu-Ray movie playing on one, they ask questions that a sales person is more then happy to answer. Its not that people came asking about the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player. They were told it was a B;u-Ray player when looking at HD TVs.

Secondly a ONE year lead would not make a difference of 200% sales numbers from the PS3 to the 360...

Source: http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly.php

Total Game Sales

360: 128,152,022
    PS3: 56,835,727
    WIi: 134,256,463

Now if release date has so much to do with sales... why isn't the Wii lagging behind?

14. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I figured I should share my opinions on this....

You say all the best games are on 360 and its an easy choice. Well, I guess there are many people who are totally stupid then huh?

Up until the last 2 weeks when the sales slowed down for PS3 (many are saying its because of the MGS4 Bundle or whatever.) It has been outselling the 360 EVERY WEEK this year World Wide by on average 50K - 70K. Even with the price drop for 360 it only improved sales by maybe 10K - 15K.

Sounds like people dont care if the 360 is cheaper.

Also for those who say no one buys PS3 games well how about this: Approximately 1/3 of PS3 owners bought GTA4.

Remember when the gap between the total sales of 360 and PS3 was like 9 million? Well, now its just under 6 million.

wheres my info from? most accurate sales tracking site: www.vgchartz.com

have fun with the fanboy war!!!!!!!

15. devdevil85

How is 360 any cheaper than PS3? If you take into account the Elite $449 + $50 XBL that's the same price as the $499 80GB MGS4-bundled PS3 here in US and the Elite only comes with 1-month free XBL (woohoo!). Yes, the Arcade version is cheaper, but it's also a lot more inferior. All lot of statements being thrown around and the sad part is that nobody is absolutely right. It's all mostly opinion-based.

My only real question is this: Why is PS3 dogged-on so much for not having 'enough' exclusives when I can't count hardly any 360 exclusives?

It's also unfair to say that games like Saints Row or Dead Rising (for example) are true exclusives because we all know that they would've come to the PS3 (either at 360-launch / sooner or later) had both systems been made available at the time. Again, it's all opinion-based and nobody is 100% correct on most things.

I guess my question could be this: How many Sony-published games debuted the first 1st year and 7 months since its debut? Now, how many MS-published games debuted in that same time-frame?

16. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

With regards to the price thing, I would say the PS3 is excellent value as a home entertainment system but it is undeniably more expensive
    xBox: £190
    PS3: £289

My understanding is that many games are available for both units so since the xbox is cheaper, has a larger install base and a year or two head start, meaning that the second had market for games is much larger thus bringing down the price of games further. All that adds up to a much cheaper games console.
    The PS3 however has more whistles so if you want a more rounded machine, quieter and with a growing catalog of games the PS3 is a better entertainment system.
    I'm considering getting one but at the moment i'm not sure if i'll mainly use it for games, bung linux on it and use it for home entertainment or whether either units would just sit there gathering dust while i play TF2 on the pc and watch telly on a mythbox.

17. devdevil85

I was referring to pricing over here in the US. I was just proving that the 360 can be just as expensive as the PS3.

18. Lucidity

Lucidity What's a Dremel?

Why is the PS3 dogged so much? Hmmm lets think....

Why the **** is it so expensive? Because Sony shat on the gamers and said let's push this thing as blu-ray player and a cell-chip seller. Neither have truly panned out well. Blu-Ray will be known as an overpriced stop-gap format, and Sony already sold their cell factory.

Ready to enter the HD Gaming Era? Not with a PS3, you can't game on it in HD without EXTRA CABLES! The most expensive console on the market, that was marketed as an hd machine has no hd cables? You can say you can get the HDMI cables for cheap, but what about component, a large portion of the hd market has a hdtv without an hdmi port. Even then, if the cables are so cheap why are they not included? WTF!

What is an exclusive really? Look at how many games come out weeks to months earlier for the 360. We're coming up on how many true years of development yet devs still can't seem to get the PS3 down. It costs them more money to make a game for a smaller audience, and most times that mean the PS3 user, who paid more money for their console gets the shaft, instead of Sony. So far for my two PS3s (one is pretty much a dedicated blu-ray) I own 4 count em' 4 games. That includes MGS4, which so far is a let down on multiple levels.

On the other hand I bought 5 games for my 360 on LAUNCH. Exclusives (I count **** that is also on PC because to have a PC capable of running these games at a good clip with decent res is about 1200, with another 400 every 6 months for a new gfx card) Kameo, PDZ, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Forza 2, PGR 3, PGR 4, Condemned, Ninja Gaiden 2, Dead Rising, Ghost Recon AW, Prey, Gears of War. Just to name a few. If you want to count games that come out more than 2 months in advance the list grows. If I own both consoles and a new game drops 1-2 months before the other, why would I wait, especially when the PS3 version is usually not as good?

Yes the 360s online is better, and if that means 5 lousy freaking I can get a whole gallon of gas for that dollars, than so be it. I know I can fire up a game of call of duty 2 and play it online, even though it was a launch title. Not to mention you can get 13 months for 39 dollars if you just look for it.

The PS3 also gets dogged because it came out a year later and so far has yet to show a clear technological edge over the 360 in the gaming dept. MGS4 doesn't look that hot, IMHO Gears of War is far more detailed, so that means yes that UT3 on the PS3 is more detailed as well. For the extra year wait and the extra money up front I as a PS3 owner should have more to show in the gaming dept. shouldn't I?

How bout rumble you want rumble? Buy our new overpriced we weren't smart enough to settle with immersion controller with rumble. Instead of pricing this at a low mark-up because we messed up, we're going to try and bleed every penny out of you. And the six-axis part still sucks. So next gen Sony.

What's that you say, your PS3 is farther than 4 feet from your cat-5e jack... too bad we skimped on that too. But you get a card reader (why?).

Where's Home? Achievements, nope.

So let's re-work that faulty math. You didn't buy a PS3 or 360 yesterday, you got them before the MGS4 bundle. You got a 40gb model for 399 and a 20gb 360. So the PS3 was already 50 dollars more, but we're going to ignore that because you want the 14 months of live. Okay, so far it looks like the PS3 has a 20 gb advantage, but does it really? How quickly will that extra space go bye-bye when installs are increasing in size with MGS4 (the it game for the PS3) coming in at a giaint 8 gigs, or 20 percent of your storage. Want rumble, add another 54 dollars. Want a good hdmi cable the same day, look to shell out at least 20 dollars at your local store. Want a headset to chat online? Add in 20 more bucks. So far I'm looking at spending at least a good hundred extra on that PS3 to make it even with the 360.

The PS3 has continued to be a let down for everything that it promised and it will continue to get dogged for it. I own two and will dog it because Sony's consumers deserve better.

19. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

All companies say stuff like that. Seriously. Go back and look at some of the stuff Sony has said (most recently the "MS has knocked themselves out of the fight" by releasing their blockbuster titles). No sense getting your fanboy-panties in a bunch guys.

20. Trefarm

Trefarm No matter what... It's all good

Anyone thought about being grateful you can buy either system? Instead of trying to make yourself feel better by flaming rival fanboys, how about...

just maybe spending 30 seconds thinking about the millions of people the world over who don't live in affluent 'consumer societies', might put it in a different perspective

Tags: Add Tags