1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress ****** PHINIX CUBE ******* - the one and only:)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by phinix, 3 Dec 2007.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

2. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Sincerest condolences for your loss, Phinix. Deal with the more important things. We'll all still be here when you're ready.

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Know exactly what you feel and am very sorry to hear about your loss. Just keep going, things'll get better... promise.

4. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thank you guys...

It is not an update, just wanted to show how all the stuff looks on main bottom panel. I had to sell my Sugo case so here's what I called "hardware migration":)

Sugo on the left, cube on the right...
    [​IMG]

Sugo apart..

[​IMG]

Mobo on cube...

[​IMG]

...and the whole stuff...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

This little case is really coming together quite nice. Should be the ultimate LAN box when she's finished, some choice hardware you have there. I love it.

6. malccy72

malccy72 Minimodder

Looks very promising and the two tier idea seems to be best seen so far. Will keep my eyes on this one.

Good work.

7. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Yes looking great. Nice construction.

8. charlesbeams

charlesbeams TRANCEFORMer

looks great :D

9. niaomer

niaomer Modster

hi Phinix,

I've just read the first few page of ur project and i'm totally hooked! Interesting work!... I'm working on something
    similar too, but much simpler.

I'm very curious right now.

What software did u use to generate those pics above?

TIA

10. Altes

Altes What's a Dremel?

He probably used sketchup by google.

http://sketchup.google.com/

11. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

sketchup 6 pro

12. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Well, after a while since I moved all stuff to main cube structure I noticed a small issue, what forces me to move dvd back on top...
    As you can see on top of dvd there is hdd laying on it - in the future there supposed to be drive cage. Unfotunately dvd cannot work properly - aluminium cover is too thin to keep the shape of the whole dvd and hdd is pushing it down so hard that I cannot even get dvd disc out of the drive! its pressing so much that eject engine cannot move the dics out. Also getting ocasionally scratching sounds from inside when dvd is spinning. So bottom of line - dvd is going back up.. but there is small upgrade that I'm gonna use as soon as I save some money.
    Dvd will sit in a special slim external USB dvd cover !!! (wooooow:)) YES - sth like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So - it will be powered by USB and there won't be any data cable necessary! SO no more IDE cable and no more power cable for dvd! I will route the usb cable out side and that's it! OR - I will make some kind of USB converter so I could use one of those internal USB conectors on mobo! hmmm..... Something to look into...

So, again - dvd on top... sorry.....;)

[​IMG]

and here's the thought - may be I should use translucent red plexi???

[​IMG]

13. The boy 4rm oz

Yes translucent plexi. The drive still looks good on top.

14. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

cool USB cd drive is a good idea. you should just make a cable to go directly to the m/b headers, would be much better and aesthetically pleasing than it going out the side! what about the issue of when you turn phinix on and the it will always be like USB drive detected?

What is that graphics card in the pictures? 8800 GTS?

15. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Yes, but translucent is not actually transparent, right? I'm confused:) How transparent is translucent? :hehe:

Card was downloaded from sketchup gallery.

What do you mean by USB drive detected?

16. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I'm sitting at work and thinking... I'm going to use red leds to light up inside of the cube... That red plexi looks nice only on sketchup picture, when really gonna use it, it will actually not be that nice, it will mix with the inside lights and won't look like a frame... Using solid red won't be that nice either... I think black plexi would be great - dark smoked transparent acrylic - it would make a great contrast, it would show all the lines of the cube, actual front - panel - frame would be more visible... hmmm....
    Red acrylic would be great if I would cover whole sides with it - then I wouldn't need to use red leds, just white ones. My front panel idea is different - to cover cube, but still show some small windows to see what's inside and light them up from inside with red light. That means front and side panels should be darker, to contrst the whole idea, to "extract" that shape, not blend in with all insides. Red panel would like kinda blended with that rive cage which is already red - you wouldn't be able to see front panel and cage separately - they both would look like one piece.. kinda...
    I think this is the way I need to go from now on... Imagine balck panels with those cut-out spaces showing all guts covered with red light coming from leds (or small CCL)....

What do you guys think? I try to make sketchup of that idea...

17. Damouse

Damouse Thats no moon!

Good stuff phinix, have been watching for a while.

Keep it up!

18. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Here's how black panel would look like.. well... sketchup doesn't show real life view, but you can imagine how coult it look like...
    Side panels are still in progress, still working on them so they are not final versions...

[​IMG]

FRONT

[​IMG]

RIGHT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. The boy 4rm oz

The black looks very nice. I still like the red. Either colour you chose will end up a winner.

20. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

The contrast with the two colors is very mature. Go for it, bro! :rock: