1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Lancashire Police accused of piracy

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Jun 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

as to the first line, ironic that I just got an abatement notice from city council noise control not 5 minutes ago. gotta keep my stereos (that sit right next to each other) down for 3 days
    sounds like you brits can't even have a car stereo without a license. and nuts to that crap

3. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

don't let the PRS hear you, they'll sue you know. tsk tsk.

sorry but this is pushing things a bit too far.

4. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

It's music "industry", how could there be any "artists"? Perhaps workers, but not artists...

5. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Heard another of these this morning, a mechanic who works alone had to buy a licence so he could listen to his radio - UK > drain

6. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

is this performance art? comedy perhaps?

7. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Lots of people get these. Hardly news worthy. as much as I'd find it pretty funny that the police were file-sharing, this isnt it.

8. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

you wouldn't get this kind of shenanigan happening in Yorkshire

9. quack

quack Minimodder

Yes, considering the radio station has already dealt with the necessary licences and so on to be able to play the music in the first place!

10. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

This is absolutely absurd. They really think they can stop people playing music/the radio in public without a licence? Do they realise how many people buy portable speakers for MP3 players and take them to the park or where ever to listen whilst chilling out on the grass or something?

How many chavs sit on busses with mobile phones blaring out their new monkey crap every day?

Why do they waste their time?

11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

what the hell? i do think now they have bitten more then they can chew....

.... and your money!

12. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Precisely.

The law should not forgo rationality to benefit musical "artists". It just doesn't make any sense, no one is makign money from the public playing of the music... So why do we have to pay for the right to play it?

I can just about understand paying for CDs and online distributions (server costs, production costs.. record company revenues etc.), but this is nothing.. this is just playing music in public, harmless.. They're really just trying to get money where ever they can.

I love music, but I hate the music industry.

13. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

the recording industry is coming to a sad realization...

14. Smegwarrior

Smegwarrior Fighting the war on smeg

Absolutely, radio stations have paid the license so they can transmit it to anyone to listen to thereby making any music freely available to the public for the duration of the time they are transmitting it.

I have heard about the TV licenses you need in the UK, the next thing will be a radio license and then a personal music player license or a speaker license, where will the madness and greed end.

When you buy music you have purchased a license to play it in any way you choose, if a neighbour or somebody passing by can hear you playing music is that a 'public performance'?

This is going beyond ridiculous, it is not like the 'artists' or 'music industry workers' are starving now is it?

Heaven forbid they might not be able to afford another Ferrari, more of the latest overpriced fashionable clothes, another mansion (or ivory tower), another Island in the Bahamas or all the drugs you see reports of them being busted with..... the poor penniless things :rolleyes: how will they ever cope? :eeek:

*Smegwarrior starts wondering why he bothered to buy all the CD's he owns. :eyebrow:

15. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

I LOL'd

16. naokaji

naokaji whatever

that law is completly stupid... need a license to listen to the radio somewhere someone might hear it:wallbash:
    ususally I cant agree with cops braking the law, but in this case I not only forgive them but :clap:them and hope they will fight this crap until the end.

17. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Funny, we're listening to the radio right now at work. Not to worried about getting busted for not having a license. I dont think we even have any law like that over here.

18. rhuitron

rhuitron Bump? What Bump?

"What isn't quite so well known – but something the PRS is keen to point out to infringers – is that listening to music anywhere outside the home requires a license if more than one person is capable of hearing it. Yes, even if you're just walking down the street whistling: that's a 'performance', apparently."

^ Super Freaking LAME!!

Tags: Add Tags