1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Tecmo sued by every single employee

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Jun 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Haha awesome headline. And yeah, if overtime is done, they should be paid, gogo lawyers!

3. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

40,000 * 30 = £12 Million!!!

I'm sure thats enough to put a large hole in there wallet, but not bankrupt them.

With that money they could buy back the NG and DOA and make new ones :)

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

True. But who would work on it?

5. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

£40,000 * 30 = £1.2m, but £40,000 * 300 (the actual number of staff) = £12m.

6. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I don't understand.. So, Tecmo moved all of its workers to Flexi time without telling anyone? Or were they fine with it and understood that Overtime is not paid on a flexible hours scheme?

This doesn't makes sense, and I can't see the employees winning the case.

Regardless, I couldn't care less... I'm neither a fan of Ninja Gaiden nor Dead or Alive.

7. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

of course in japan you work 12~16h a day, but you obviously have to be paid!

8. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

work till your "Dead" and if you are still "Alive" don't get payed.

9. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

so should I sue my employer for not paying me overtime? that would be a lot of money in my pocket...

10. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

oh dear oh dear.

11. zabe

zabe Perfect in my imperfection

Not exactly. The employers were moved to a flexible work time, which would allow them to work at different times per day and a variable number of hours per day, considering they met the hours they had to per week, or whatever. This is how flexible systems work. The problem here is that, if they had to do 45 hours of work per week, employers usually worked 60 or more hours per week, and those 15+ hours went unpaid. As the article states, they were promised these hours as paid, which never happened. This, unless they had specific salary norms that stated these extra hours wouuld go unpaid (which from the news we read can be assumed it is not the case), is illegal. Thus the employers sued their company in the hopes of justice being made and them being paid the money they deserve.

No offense, but I think we should ALL care about stuff like this, not because they did this or that game that we did or did not buy, but because we're all WORKERS. Imagine that wherever you work, your bosses made a similar decision and then any extra hours or extra work that you had to do went unpaid. You wouldn't be happy about it, would ya? This kind of solution must be known by people so that nobody gets taken advantage of in their jobs. For instance, a similar thing happened in my company, we have some special rules as for extra hours that are renewed every 2-3 years. 2 years ago, the negotiations were delayed a whole year, in which we were paid with the old rules. We didn't find ourselves in the need to sue our company, because new norms were agreed and we were paid the proportional monthly salary that we were missing from the previous 12 months. THAT kind of situation, which happens more and more with today's increasingly bigger companies that don't care about their individual workers, must be known so that people who find themselves in this situations know what their options are.

Do not let big companies scare you, if you play your cards right, you will win no matter how many lawyers they bring to the table!! Law can be tricky and suck at times, but when something's done inapropriately, it's easy to prove provided you have a hefty percentage of the workers.

That depends a lot on the specific norms for salary payments in your company. Usually when you're not paid extra hours you get benefits from somewhere else. The problem with Tecmo appears to be that workers didn't get neither extra hours paid nor benefits of any other kind (I'm assuming, if not all this piece of news wouldn't make any sense). Get to know the norms in your workplace, and you'll find if you're being paid as you should or not. Note that many companies don't do all this on purpose, sometimes they know but they keep shut until you REALIZE, sometimes they don't even notice about your situation, with no bad intention at all from the beginning.

-zabe

12. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

I don't get paid overtime because I am paid by salary. But, I understood when I got hired that I would not get overtime. It sounds like the employees of Techmo were lied to and if so, are entitled to that money. If that is true, I hope they get what they are entitled to plus lawyers fees and interest.

13. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

If you're not a salaried employee and you work more than 40 hours/week, there are very, very few industries in which your employer wouldn't be legally required to pay overtime.

And in Canada, you wouldn't have to sue. Just file a complaint with your provincial board of labour. Of course, you will be persona non grata on the job after that.

Tags: Add Tags