1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant BLOODY EBAY!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Burnout21, 18 Jun 2008.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

they have gone to far now!

i logged on to ebay this morning and as usual you get a little advert after signing in, only today it tells me that ebay are helping to secure my account by checking if i am using my computer? if i am not using my computer when i log in then i will hae to ring them!

maybe a few others might be able to spread some light on this topic. but it has made me mad, and ebay will soon drive me away. i am sick of there money making on items i wish to sell, screwing me over every minute of the day. and then paypal ripping me off every time it gets a sniff of my money!

its becoming a joke! i say if your ebay account was hacked, you must have been stupid enough to have let someone know your account infomation and its your own fault!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

um, i have NEVER seen such a thing on ebay, and log on regularly from other computers than my own. come to think of it, this system sounds hardly viable. are you sure you're not being phished?

3. RTT

RTT #parp

uh, what? :eyebrow:

4. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

il try and find more info, it came up between the log in screen and ebay home, like there 5p listing adverts.

it wasn't anything like phishing either, this was purly ebay based.

Last edited: 18 Jun 2008
  6. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

I saw it as well its an Ebay Alert.

it looks like its ONLY for when you are listing an item But to be honest They have no chance theres no way I'm giving them my phone number. I had all that hassle getting my paypal account verified I'm not going though it again.

Last edited: 18 Jun 2008
  7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

thank god that you found that, i was starting to think i was going nuts. i forgot to add it was about listing items as i was pretty pissed off about it.

8. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

how would you log in if you werent at your computer? apart from ebay mobile its not like someone could hack in through the shower or something

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It means at a computer which isn't regularily used by you.

10. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

They won't let me verify my paypal account, so it's only for buying stuff and I refuse to accept money via paypal now

11. Smegwarrior

Smegwarrior Fighting the war on smeg

This is one of their 'account security measures', it is about 'preventing shill bidding' and it won't just be when you list items either, it will be a random thing.

They have been told on their forums how useless and annoying it will be for everyone but they don't care.

Take a look at the Ebay Australia Round Table forum to see how little they care, they don't even care that the ACCC (Australian Competition and Consumer Commission) has already submitted a draft of a rejection to their application for immunity from prosecution under the Trade Practices act 1974 about their attempt at forcing us to use Paypal only.

They have used underhanded tactics to force people to sign up with Paypal and remove other payment options from their listings.

They had planned for Paypal only from the 17th (yesterday) but the ACCC are going to reject it and Ebay still haven't changed their notices on their website saying it is a glitch.

I received a message today about it being pushed back to the 15th of next month even though the ACCC will reject it making the move to Paypal only illegal.
    Funny how the messages were sent out the day after they had previously planned to force Paypal only.
    I already knew about this from reading the forums and have sent my own submission to the ACCC along with hundreds of others about our objection, major organisations in Australia have also done the same.

They have also removed the sellers payment details for anything other than Paypal from Ebay checkout to try and force buyers into using Paypal so they can go back to the ACCC and say "look, they are all happy to use it and more people are using it".
    This is illegal and will only hurt their attempt at subverting our laws.

Ebay won't win, for the first time ever the ACCC has made a decision within months whereas they normally take up to several years to act to prevent the restriction of competition in the market place.

Listing numbers and visits to Ebay Australia are way down in the last few weeks and are dropping by the day.

If you are buyer (any country) or an Australian seller go to Oztion instead, free listing and lower final value fees and you can choose what payment options you want in your listing.

Ebay = FAIL!!!

12. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

You're right, they already have every other bit of security information about you, ever; your phone number would be the final straw.

13. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Does anyone know if this applies to your 'Computer' or your 'IP address'

14. Smegwarrior

Smegwarrior Fighting the war on smeg

I think it goes by your IP address, I think someone on the Round Table mentioned how proxy servers would get around it.

15. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

If it was 'Computer' it'd presumably involve downloading background software or something ridiculous. So I think IP address.
    I wonder why they're only now introducing such an unusual security measure, and only for sellers...

16. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

ebay is now a gobal monster to which we cant control, unless we stop using it. if ebay is like microsoft then we need a linux...

17. naokaji

naokaji whatever

I bet it checks the ip address...

I just find amazing how companies can be so ignorant to not know that the majority of the private internet connections in the world do not have a static ip due it being a feature costing extra.

18. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

19. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

I'd like to see them check my dynamic ip address, I saw the same thing when I logged into eBay earlier
    I'm expecting a lot of phone calls from them as I have a load of old tat to get rid of.

20. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Yeah, eBay was a wonderful thing, but it's really gone downhill. The not being able to use Paypal for adult listings bit was the first shot, and now they're trying to control the whole thing.

Agreed that it's time for some competition. Maybe Google can do it.

Tags: