1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel QX9650 (Extreme Edish) system... on a budget

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robotguy9000, 20 Jun 2008.

1. robotguy9000

robotguy9000 What's a Dremel?

I'm in an interesting situation here, and I was hoping you guys would help me out.

A friend of mine who works at Intel hooked me up with a QX9650 processor. I'm planning on building a system out of it, but I don't exactly have the money to do this chip justice. I'm looking to spend under $500 for a motherboard, 4gb's of memory, and a video card. I already have the case, PS, hard drives, opticals, etc.

I already have a few video cards in mind (esp. 8800 GT) so I would really appreciate some help deciding on a motherboard.

I'm especially confused about which chipset to purchase. I've heard only X38/48-based boards will support this processor- is that true? Do you have any suggestions for a specific mobo?

Thanks alot!

EDIT- Oh, and obviously I won't be running SLI, and I'd like to find a motherboard without onboard EVERYTHING- just the basics.

2. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

ati 4850.
    My suggestion for a video card over the 8800gt. Same if not better performance for less money.

3. robotguy9000

Hmm, I was thinking the 8800gt based on the monthly Tom's Hardware "Video card for the money" articles. But I'll give it a look. Suggestions for a mobo?

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

with Intel P45 chipset appearing, get that once you find one that suits you.

for RAM, go for Corsair XMS2 6400 2x2GB. 900Mhz on stock volts and stock timing. not bad for a value 800Mhz 4GB kit.

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Asus P5Q Deluxe.
    Agree with wuyanxu on the ram.
    ATi 4850.

6. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

another option is, assuming the cpu was dirt cheap or free anyway?.. since the point of these extreme cpu's is only for insane overclock numbers ans e-penis and not so much actual use you may do well just selling the cpu for a very high price and then using that money plus whatever you had before for a completely high end system as opposed to mainly mid range.

7. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

Good idea, since you can very easily OC a processor like Q9550(Q9450 seems to be out of stock everywhere) close to 4GHz, and you will not need more performance than that, I'm quite sure. And, 8800gt has outlived it's place in the market imho, now you should really opt for a radeon 4850 or wait until 4870 and 9800gtx+ appears on the market and make your decision then.
    While, of course, considering the fact that 4xxx series is a newer architecture and just might be potentially a better buy if you think about games that come out six months from now and later...

8. psychoti

psychoti What's a Dremel?

you lucky *@!"^&%$£*!!
    I am just wondering why i don't have friends like this or something like this never happened to me !!
    I have a friend that he ordered one Samsung 22" tft monitor and they send him two!!can you believe that...

9. robotguy9000

Yes, it is a good idea. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to sell it. If i could, I would have ditched this thing on ebay a long time ago and not had to worry about building a system out of it. I feel guilty not using it.