1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Early Alone in the Dark reviews upset Atari

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Jun 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

So the new reason for a game being crap will be "you were testing pirated code"?

Yeesh.

3. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

seems rather a pointless endeavour if they are trying to get rid of negative reviews - i mean, how many games really make it big based solely on reviews? A good review in a few places may be good for initial sales, but when bloke A who bought it on release plays it for a few hours, turns to Blokes B C and D and tells them its shite, sales arent gonna continue to be high.

4. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Is the legal version still crap?

5. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

I've heard that the pirated version is really, really filled with bugs, but then again, that's only rumors. Bugs can probably lower the % that a game gets when reviewed...

6. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

What do you mean "Piracy on a console???" Piracy on consoles has been rife since the release of the PSX in '95.. You chipped your playstation, you could get brand new games for £5.. Then again with the PS2.. and with the original Xbox you could download games, burn them to disk, and run them if you installed the right software on the Xbox beforehand.. Heck, if you installed the right alternative operating system you could rent a brand new game for £3 and install it to the hard drive to keep.

Even GTA IV was released to torrent sites before it was released.

7. adamc

adamc What's a Dremel?

Well the game is out now, and when publishers don't release review copies early that usually means they know the game is not up to scratch.

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Umm, you haven't met the average gamer obviously, the one who goes into nerd rage because Twilight Princess only got 6.8 or whatever, they people who never buy a game if it scores below 8 on IGN.

I've played the first portion of the game and have just got into central park, I struggle to see how this game would score under 7.

9. CardJoe

Sigh, I was being sarcastic. ;)

10. impar

impar Minimodder

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

As far as I can tell, yeah, it's still pretty 'eh'.

Definitely not worth the money I parted with for it.

Better than a 3/10, but not going to make the replay list..

12. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

OK, I agree with what is said about the controls, 3rd person feels reallllly sluggish and movement in fights is a bitch

13. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

there you have it.. a 3rd person first person shooter. That aint working. Thats the way you do it on your mtv...

14. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

I feel really bad for atari :( they need a new franchise to get back up there.

15. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I've read that the reviews aren't too bad for Alone in the Dark. It's 1 or 3 low scores (3/10, 4/10). Eurogamer has it at 7/10 I believe. So take those scores with a grain of salt if you will. Let's give this more time before we go into a frenzy against another oppressive Publisher fighting against bad reviews =P.

16. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Even earlier than that mate, there was alot of piracy with the snes by using a special floppy drive and running the cart games off floppys. a friend of mine had one when I was at school and had every snes game released at that time.

I knew that :) but still there are some that dont lol

Last edited: 20 Jun 2008
  17. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Don't you guys remember tapes?

18. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

which console had a tape drive?

19. CardJoe

One of the Ataris. And some old thing we had when I was a kid and which we used to play Bobsleigh on. And a game called Punch and Judy.

What was the question?

20. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

This reminds me a bit of the whole Iron Lore issue about the pirated versions of Titan Quest being critiqued on forums before the game was officially released. I forget the article on Bit Tech specific about it, but the gist of it was that the company got a lot of bad rep for bugs that were really in place to prevent a pirated version of the game from running properly. I wonder if this is a similar issue here?

I think Atari is well within their rights to take legal action against reviewers that obtained the game through other channels regardless of what their rating ended up being. Unfortunately, the lawyers as usual will end up being the only true winners with the money they will rake in from both the winners and the losers of the lawsuits.

Tags: Add Tags