1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm RMA'ing my Striker after a year of issues, could I ask for a different mobo?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Mother-Goose, 19 Jun 2008.

1. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

As the title suggests, I am going to RMA my striker extreme, it seems it is the culprit for the majority of my issues this past year, and it just seems to get worse every month, now, sparodically coming out of sleep, the usb devices aren't recognised, this means the KBM. Lots of driver power state blue screens which don't seem to be the GFX.

Anyway, upon RMA'ing this, do you think I am within my rights to get a different mobo of the same value (and by value, should I try and get one for how much i spent on it, or how much it is worth now?), or do you think this is unlikely to happen?

TIA

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The sale of goods act entitles you to a repair unless you can prove beyond reasonable doubt that the issues you encountered were present at the time of purchase, for example due to a design flaw. If the company is unable to repair the board, they are obliged to provide you with their choice of a replacement or refund. You don't get to choose which of these you get, although a good company will give you the option in the name of customer satisfaction.

3. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Since you are in the UK I wont bother with any laws but I would suggest you check the warrenty for the MB

4. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

If you are RMAing it to the people you bought it from, you may get a refund. I got a refind for my Asus P5N 32 SLI.... something... which allowed me to get an Abit IP35 Pro.

That was from Dabs I think.
    Edit: It will definately be under warranty, Asus provide a 5 year warranty

5. dimebar

dimebar What's a Dremel?

MG.

sorry to hear that m8, but i do feel like a little relieved its not just me, ive had 3 now,

and best of luck woth a swap for a diferent board. the one i have now i have had for a year, and is ok (touches wood).
    pile on the sob story, claim office of fair trading etc, and hold tight you may get a different mobo offered:grr:

6. Mother-Goose

Ah I got it from Scan and they are a fairly good bunch, I'll have a word and see what they say. They said they'd handle the RMA rather than going through ASUS which is a start.

Cheers for the condolences Dime, I've held out for as long as possible but it's got the point where enough is enough.

Btw, obviously I'll need to format (again) when I reinstall the OS, I've had the odd bit of trouble from 64-bit (i've had these errors under 32-bit as well so it's not that), nothing too major though, do you reckon I should stay with it?

7. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

if its within twelve months and with scan you can request a refund but they dont have to give you one if they offer a reasonable alternative such as repair or replacing it instead.
    Cant hurt to ask tho, ive had full refunds or full store credit from both dabs and aria after rma'ing stuff after 11 months.

8. Mother-Goose

I'm nto really after a refund, just one that works, but if they are willing, then a different mobo of the same value that is more reliable, I don't want my money back, just something that works, I'll be ringing them this weekend.

9. ShredMachine

ShredMachine What's a Dremel?

As a note, I work for an electronics retailer. If a customer comes in to us with this issue with say, a television, we are legally allowed to offer them one of the following:

A repair.
    A replacement of the same specification.
    A replacement of the same model.
    A refund up to the RETAIL amount the television is worth now. (So basically, if you want a refund, the most they're legally required to do is to give you the current price of a brand new Striker Extreme.)

We are not legally obliged to give you a refund of the amount you paid, however depending on the company, how much fuss you kick up, and the number of issues there are with that product line, we can physically do it in some instances, although beware your mileage may vary depending on company guidelines. Worth noting, speak to the low level customer service first and THEN escalate to the manager or supervisor. Asking to speak to a manager straight away INSTANTLY places you into the 'arrogant dick' category, and from that point on no-one wants to help you. Allowing someone to try and help you first belies that you are trying to get what you feel you are entitled to, as opposed to just trying to milk us.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Thanks for the insight :thumb:

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

again another crap ASUS board. if you get the chance go abit or gigabyte, hell even MSI (i dont rate MSI as the best, but there better than ASUS)

12. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

i've never had a problem with an asus board. on my 3rd one now and they have all worked perfectly.

13. Mother-Goose

If they let me swap, I'll ask for the Gigabyte DQ6 me thinks....or something P35 based, I'll givem a ring today or tomorrow.

Firstly though I need to cancel all my credit cards etc as I lost my wallet yesterday, DOH

14. dimebar

dimebar What's a Dremel?

agh!! come on MG this is bad form!

im actually happy with my currrent board, ill still eveluate best boards / looks / features, in the future! wish id got the comando myself, had chance to as my first one died!

15. Mother-Goose

Right, a quick update on this as it has been a long time. I've finally managed to get Scan to offer me an RMA on the Mobo and GFX, and can understand why they wouldn't give it to me at first, luckily I got someone on tech support who thought it was worth testing.

The problem is, I can't recreate the problem on demand, there doesn't seem to be a trigger, the BSOD's happen most often when I game, but not all the time, and can happen when I'm just watching something on WMP. I've ran 3D Mark Vantage and that didn't trigger it, but next time it might.

Having to swap DVI ports when the monitor doesn't wake up does not always happen, and when the rig comes out of sleep and the usb devices don't power up doesn't happen all the time either.

So, if after testing, they can't recreate the problem, where do I stand? I know it's one of these pieces of hardware that is causing the problem, it has to be, but if they can't replicate the error and just send it back to me, what should I do?

16. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Personally, I'd go straight to the manufacturer with a support ticket.

I had to do that with some Corsair stuff a while back, I don't know whether ASUS will do the same thing, but it's worth a shot if Scan can't help you.

17. Mother-Goose

I think I'll have to do that, but I might try and do it via scan, from what I've heard and read, Asus have been really bad when it comes to RMA'ing the striker because, to be blunt, they know it's ****. I'll see what scan says and take it from there. Tbh, I know it's not their fault so I won't be loosing it with them, but I will ask them for advice in solving the problem.

18. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Hopefully Scan find the fault and deal with ASUS rather than you having to, eh? :D

19. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

Shove it in a as bag, and into a carrier, then into a freezer for 24 hours.

Make sure no signs of moist / damn are afoot, then send it back.

Asus in the uk are most defiantly a pain to deal with, and if you do have to contact them I suggest doing so via the global support not the uk.

+1 for a DQ6 (don't get the T version if you want to use your ram mind).

20. Mother-Goose

I'll see what comes of it tbh, if it's at fault, I kinda don't want another striker, but I can understand if they say I have to have one, I'm sending it back next week and I'll keep this thread updated with any news on the issue.