1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PlayStation 3 trophy cards leaked?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Jun 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

hasn't home been released yet?

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Not yet, it keeps getting delayed

4. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

i can only assume the trophies will work like gamerpoints, with lower point ones worth a lower tropht.. maybe something like a 5 gamerpoint achievement is worth a bronze trophy, but a 100 gamerpoint acheivement is worth a gold trophy. other than that i cant see how the different colored trophies would translate.

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

That's how I imagine it will work.

6. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

OIh great, more competitiveness. Thats going to help the attitudes of players no end /sarcasm

7. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Nothing wrong with a little competitiveness.

8. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Once update 2.40 debuts (and if they include the ability to show-off your trophies/accomplishments to 'friends' on your friends list), the gap between 360 and PS3 (feature-wise) IMO will be gone......which should encourage MS to enhance the XBL experience (for example, the avatars coming soon *rumor*), as well as continue driving Sony to enhance the PSN (or maybe even debut Home sooner?).....

9. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I bet I'll use home once or twice and then I'll ignore it. I'll be happy to get these trophies though. If only because they often give away cool bit's of the game you missed first time round. Metal gear solids tornado launcher for example :p

10. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

you dont have to have home to have trophies and such. 2.40 is supposedly gonna have trophies in it. In Home you will be able to display them and such but you will be able to get them before Home is released.

I know there are gonna be people posting that PSN sucks and they always copy XBL, but seriously, what are they supposed to do? If they dont put something like this in then people say XBL is way better and has achievements and such while PSN doesn't. So now that they do put it in it is a stupid idea and they are copy cats.

Personally I dont care either way. I dont need these trophy things or points. Useless to me.

11. devdevil85

I knew 2D trophies were coming with 2.40. In the case of the PSN vs XBL debacle, it's the same case with a controller: you can only make a controller for a game system so many ways (within reason/budget) and I think it goes the same w/ in-game XMB features and game achievements. As you can see in the picture, Sony isn't just making a gamerpoints clone, but one w/ leveling, but again it's a rumor and we won't know everything about it until they release it.

I, too, don't care much for achievements because tbh I find most of the 360 games I've played, just by playing them my first way through, I earned too many achievement points which I find to be pointless because you bought the game with the sole purpose of beating it (or atleast I hope you would) and easy achievements feel like cheating the system IMO. In the 360 realm, it's really based on how much money you have to spend on games because buying horrible games that nobody in their right mind would buy could give you that edge to earning an extra 1000 points that others wouldn't *cough* Pimp My Ride *cough*. It's the random challenges in games like Saints Row, Guitar Hero/Rock Band, Crackdown, etc. that make them fun even though some are just "How much time do you have to waste?".

Last edited: 24 Jun 2008
  12. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I don't think so, I do like that feature but I think the main thing it has over PSN is the ease of communicating between friends. If Sony would make it so the dashboard bar thing (I forget Sony's name for it) then that would make is so much better. Or have they already done that? I haven't kept tabs on whether they've put that in yet.

When I first found out MS were implementing GS, I didn't really see the point, but after I had my 360 for a few months I was a full blown GS whore. I love the little challenges it adds, although I agree that it's a little lame when a game gives you all/most of the achievements by simply playing it through once. I love dead rising's achievements.

13. devdevil85

It's XMB. Achievements can be great when thought out and challenging, but when you hear about people renting sh***y games like (I've got a bad cough) *cough* Beowulf *cough*, it truly is demeaning for those who earned the same points spending hours upon hours on games like Guitar Hero, Rock Band, PGR3/4, etc......

In regards to the communicating between friends, talladega would probably know......I don't own a PS3 let alone use it for communicating with others except while in-game so.....couldn't comment

14. hodgy100

hodgy100 Minimodder

ingame XMB has been comfirmed for FW2.40 :rock:

15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I must be the only person on the planet that couldn't give a stuff for these options, gamerscore/trophies, uurgh, it all strike me as a bit lame, for the stamp collector types or those with serious OCD, mostly kids I guess who like to do stuff again and again and again.

Did I get 50 survivors from the mall achievement in dead rising, Umm no I just enjoyed the game and put it down when I was finished, trying stuff again to get a few points didn't really appeal, perhaps I'm just a bit too old for it all but i'd rather the Developers added more content than waste time on acheivements to make you play through again to apparently add more value to the title, not that keen on the in-game XMB and own music thing Sony are introducing either, I'd rather not have the interruptions and experience the game as the designers intended.

Yup guess I'm a boring fart or just have more to my life than a gamerscore.

In fact the rumoured feature I was most pleased about from 2.4 was the addition of a clock to the XMB desktop, about time ( :lol: ) now if only they could get the joypads to time out when they are not being used like the 360 does that would be cool, damn annoying when the battery dies.

16. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

for communicating between friends, currently, it depends how the game developers implement it all. Sadly most all games nowadays only have voice communication in-game. I wish they would include text messaging in the lobbies and such.

but for 2.40 when in-game XMB will be released, you will then be able to play your own music ( I have no clue how this will work with games, the devs may need to patch them or something, but I wont be using it anyways most likely ), and you will be able to send messages to your friends on your PSN Friend list, and I think they will probably allow you to do 6-way video/voice chat to people on your friends list.

But dont take that as facts as im not totally sure.

17. devdevil85

yeah you must be one old fart! j/k I personally want in-game XMB for music for racing games mostly. Games like Uncharted wouldn't fit with Seether or Nickelback playing in the background, let alone Mariah Carey or Madonna. The clock will be nice for some, but my cable box tells me the time, as well as my phone, but it's a nice little addition. As for things like accessing the internet while in-game, most people will find the feature cool, but I don't see anyone actually using it. I like trophy support, but like I said above in my 360 example, they need to be attainable, away-from-the-main storyline, yet staying challenging so they can actually stand for something, like getting all 5-stars on Hard/Expert in Guitar Hero or Rock Band for instance.

Lastly, in regards to the controllers turning off after certain amount of time, you should know when you're done playing and should turn them off manually since it takes literally 2 seconds to do it. That's just my opinion, but that would be nice. What they need to implement is a timer to turn the system off after so much idle time, just in case you leave it on thinking you'll come back to it or something.

18. devdevil85

Personally, I don't want to talk to friends outside of a game. I'm gaming for a reason and I will have all of my attention fixed to that game. As for getting messages while in-game and not having to leave the game, that will be nice. Just a quick simple way of letting you know you have a message, whether that be you're invited to another game or just a message from a friend asking you if he/she can join in on yours. That would be something I might use as well as others. 6-way voice/video would be cool to watch, but actually implementing it would be rare to see in real life, don't you think? I mean how many people do you know that own a webcam? Now how many people do you know who own a webcam and use it w/ their PS3? I don't know of any personally; same goes for 360. I wonder if people actually have enough bandwidth to run that during peak gaming times? I usually pull around 13.2 Mbps, but my neighborhood's got tons of teenagers so......it'd probably be pretty choppy since I don't check it often......either way can't wait for the new update, might bring more features than expected....who knows.....

19. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

actually ive been in quite a few 6way video/voice chats on my ps3 where i was the only one without a cam or sometimes 1 or 2 others didnt have one. and it doesnt take up much bandwidth either. if you change a certain setting in the chat (im not sure which one) you can see the amount of bandwidth being used.

to me the main thing i want to be able to do is to send messages without leaving the game. anything extra is just bonus to me and i probably wont use any other feature.

20. devdevil85

Well that's cool to hear. As for the extras, I'm all for them, as long it gets people to want to buy more PS3's I'm all for it. The console needs more owners so it can receive better game support IMO. I'm hoping they announce a new SKU at E3 or something. I've waited long enough and I don't want the 40GB w/ Sixaxis, I want a new SKU that sports maybe a new heatsink, a newer bundled game and a DS3 and I'd be set to buy it at the $399 price point. I've even got my projector readied w/ a 25ft long HDMI cable.

Tags: Add Tags