1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISP Bandwidth Capping and HD movies "The Way of the Future"

Discussion in 'General' started by f00dl3, 25 Jun 2008.

1. f00dl3

f00dl3 What's a Dremel?

I remember reading somewhere that HD movie downloads is going to replace BlueRay discs in the next 5 years or so. For some reason I don't see this happening, as before long Time Warner already has capped bandwidth in Texas and they are going to do it nation wide. 40 GB /month for $55 / month. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that with Steam games weighing in at 2 to 3 GB, and I'm guessing that HD 1080p video full quality is probably at the very least 10 GB per movie... that stuff adds up.

2. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

3. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

My 1080p version of 2001: A Space Odyessy weighs in at 8GB (h.254), ISPs wont let that sort of bandwidth go for everyone on their network.

4. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

isp's can eat me. I remember when highspeed first came to the area where I went to school. they capped it at 2gb per month. 2GB!! now they have it unlimited becuase people complained so much. its only a matter of time before they bring back a limit.
    My current provider has a limit of 60gb. and then they charge an arm and a leg for each gb after that. thank god I dont come even close to the 60gb limit though.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Praise th'lord for uncapped, unmonitored (or thereabouts), unthrottled downloads. :D

6. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

Definitely, either my ISP has no limit or I just haven't ever found it. Unlimited internet enjoyment Cheesecake for me!

7. knuck

knuck Hate your face

20gb limit is teh suck

8. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

My monthly limit is 2GB.

9. chrisb2e9

providing internet to the bottom of the sea isn't cheap you know.

10. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

I conducting test atm to see how much bandwidth i use in a month on all the PC's in the house, I got capped after BT told me that i was using to much bandwidth. I'm on an unlimited package :( I don't believe i used more than 50GB so I'm going to see how much i actually use then hopefully get uncapped then capped again to which if it is 50GB like i believe i am going to write a formal letter of complaint.

This is totally unacceptable for any ISP to do this if i pay for unlimited i should get unlimited why not just give me 100GB a month that's plenty enough i think and i would be willing to pay £25-30 a month for that.

11. KID52

KID52 Minimodder

VM seem to only cap speed during certain times if you download a certain amount, but do not appear to be too fussy on how much you download, I have downloaded 115GB this month without any problems. (am on 10mb package)

12. naokaji

naokaji whatever

the isps just need to pull their fingers out of their a** and upgrade their networks so they can actually offer the speeds they advertise.

oh wait, that would cost money, so to please the shareholders they will just wait until the internet colapses and then let the governments sort it out with tax money.

13. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

It should be. All the backbones run that way :p

14. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Comcast just recently started throttling downloads.. having to go through Tor to re-achieve old download speeds.. it's fairly lame. Supposedly there's a 60gbs/mo limit, after which Comcast threatens to disconnect you for a year.

Bring on fiber optic networks.

Wish Verizon could get their FiOS near me

15. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

I don't seem to have a cap I've downloaded about 200GB of anime in the past fortnight, Yet to see any slowdown.

16. chrisb2e9

Just hope that you dont see it on your bill.

17. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

18. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I downloaded for 7.5gb of stuff yesterday and now I know that for the next 3 weeks I must not ever download anything or else I will bust

this sucks

19. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

I hate getting shitty speeds on the internet just because I've downloaded x GBs in a month.

I was with Plusnet and jumped ship due to their excessive throttling if I broke a (rather stingy) monthly peak-time useage limet.
    When the peak times then changed to be all day except a small 8 hour window it was the last straw.
    The throttled limit was like using a 56k modem again.

So I went to UKOnline's 16Mb LLU package.
    I got about 6Mb but once I stripped out and rewired the flat's telephone lines, I got 12Mb.
    Nice and fast for downloads, not so great for game pings.
    Went through tweaking it with uko and have ended up getting about 8Mb and slightly better pings.
    Best thing is, I can download what I want, when I want without fear of capping, throttling or disconnection. :)

20. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

I have 20gb peak time(In the week) and 300gb off peak.
    Suits me fine, i just tend to download more on weekends.

Tags: