1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Text Speak Rant

Discussion in 'General' started by jhanlon303, 25 Jun 2008.

1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I have nearly 6 decades on this planet and more than a couple advanced degrees. Am I the only one here who doesn't understand "text speak" or whatever you want to call it? UR instead of your, etc. Drives me nuts and I click away from sites that allow the use of same. I even bypass entries on this website that have this JUNK language posted. I can fully appreciate our members from other countries and their attempts at English/British and try to help where I can, but this two thumbs texting stuff is really irritating
    /end rant
    John

2. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I know what you mean. I remember years ago when modems were only 300bit and people developed a way to shorten words so that they could save time because even sending one word took forever. Then faster modems came about and everyone was using full words becuase they could send the text as fast as they could type it. Now we have developed a lazy generation who feels the need to break down words because it saves them from pressing another button.
    I'll admit that I have done it myself, but I dont go overboard like some people do.

3. jhanlon303

It seems to that vowels are over rated to some people. I have a smart phone and I still use the English/British(thank you) language.
    It chaps my hide is all. Are we so pressed for time that we cannot type a whole word? If we are communicating, then use the language as taught in schools. My granddaughter actually won a prize for texting on her phone. She can do more words(?) per minute than a personal secretary. Sad.
    /end More rant
    John

4. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I agree completely, and I'm roughly a third your age. I can understand using text speak on a phone with text messages, though I still don't condone it or use it myself. However, I feel using it in any situation where a full keyboard is available is an unforgivable offense. Bit-Tech users are generally quite good about this, and when someone slips or a new poster doesn't know the ropes, I try to gently correct them. After all, proper English is not only easier for most people to understand, but absolutely imperative for any members who don't speak English as their primary language.

Still, many other forums out there are not so good. In fact, I've seen forums where text speak seems not only accepted but also condoned, with moderators using it in their posts as well. There's not much I can do about it, but it kills me to see such laziness.

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

gt ovr it m8

*ahem*

6. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

Err the language is english, those of us from the other countries in the British isles have our own languages. Text speak does have a legitimate use although not on the internet I'll admit, over here text messages have a limit of 160 characters, if you go over you have to pay for two messages so cutting "you're" down to UR has a material benefit. Also languages are not static things, they evolve and change as the society that uses them changes, if it didn't then we would be stuck trying to communicate 21st century concepts in latin or ancient greek.

Moriquendi

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Most of my texts (I send loads, probably 4-5 a month) get split up in to at least 4 seperate messages, one of the pitfalls of a qwerty keyboard on the phone :/

8. jhanlon303

Text speak is crap. I read Olde English, Middle English, Greek, Hebrew and several other languages that can't be written on a keyboard - Cuneiform is one example. In polite society it is proper to use the language and vernacular of the group one associates with. I will accept HDD for an abbreviation of Hard Disk Drive, but I'm too old, too tired to learn another language. Text? Show me where that is accepted as a language! Not in the US. Kids fail for using it at the high school level.

9. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

The only thing that bothers me about text speak (or should I say txt speek? :D) is that my sister uses it all the time and I don't think she can spell half the words she uses properly.
    As for grammar and punctuation, forget it.

Had a guy on the other main forum I visit that used absolutely NO punctuation at all.
    Was hilarious because it was impossible to read.
    Now if english was his 2nd or 3rd language, I could almost forgive it.
    But this was his 1st (and only I'm guessing) language and when I suggested he type properly so other could understand it and help, he did.
    To the best of his ability, which was piss-poor and no mistake.

Having said all that, I agree with the use of txt speak on text messages in mobiles.
    It lets you say more without costing more.

One thing that bothers me though, is the incorrect use of your, you're, there, their etc.
    Drives me nuts. :D

10. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

What is this rubbish:

Can not, i am, hard disk drive and United States, thank you very much!

Or are you on a 300 bit modem or something :eyebrow: lazy old bugger :rolleyes:

Edit: You're points made thier are quite good Airchie

11. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Ummm, I don't think anyone has said its a full language to be used in exams at schools etc.

12. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

This about sums up everything doesn't it, gramps!

Resistant to change, much?

I'd agree with your disdain of text speak's usage in contexts where it must be used, but I don't see how a text to your mate should be in proper English. A text to your boss should obviously not contain text speak, just to clarify.

13. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

That pretty much explains the problem here I think, fortunately nobody's forcing you to use it.

It's an accepted language among certain, mainly young, sections of society. If older sections of society find it hard to understand that may be half the point don't you think?

Moriquendi

14. jhanlon303

Not referring to texting in the phone world but this is a forum for computer literate people. You have a keyboard use all the keys. I would hate to be from Russia like Filamon or CZ. like my friend Hexen and try to understand this.
    I made a post a while ago that listed about 25 countries that frequent this forum. Everyone in the known world needs to learn text speak? That's arrogant.
    John

15. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Ah, well, I see your point then. To be fair, the most you see on the forums is 'ur' and 'btw, wtf, ft w' so it isn't as apparent as you make it. Thank goodness for bit-tech forum rules!

16. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Text speak definitely has its place, such as texting on phones. However, I prefer when people take responsibility for their communications and type things out on forums like Bit-tech. Everyone misspells from time to time, as well as making punctual and grammatical errors. It seems to come down to apathy, ignorance and laziness when some people cannot do any better than ORLY, KTHX, TTFN.

17. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Standards do vary depending on the audience though. I would agree that txt speak is inappropriate for manythings, but this is an informal forum primarily aimed at tecnologically adept people, most of whom are comfortable in txtspk.

Besides, if you think txt is bad, try medical terminology some time

PI: Pt is 67 yo M CC C/P, SOB x 12 hrs, dec LOC.

18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It's bad enough we force them to use english.:D I can only imagine the horrors of running text speak through babelfish...

19. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Salvete, frater. Vox Latin, vulgar/saecula?

Κυρίως, μου βγαίνει από ελληνικό μια παράλληλη Bible. Ταχύτερη αυτόν τον τρόπο.

20. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

sure I dont mind if you buy me a case of beer. but you have to bring it to me. .

Tags: