1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Text Speak Rant

Discussion in 'General' started by jhanlon303, 25 Jun 2008.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Real funny....

2. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Yes, I detest the 'text speak'. I only use lol, rofl and a few other short words for just general 'emotion of hilarity' over the net. Other then that I type full and complete words. I can type very quickly and I am proud of that.

:)

Last edited: 25 Jun 2008
  3. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

:D

4. C0nKer

C0nKer What's a Dremel?

For texting on phone, YES.

Forums, emails, and messengers, NO.

5. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Many of our students use txt spelling constantly in school work, email and on the Internet. A large proportion now rely totally on Word and Google to correct their spelling.

We're now looking at giving all students UMPCs so that they can do all school work on a computer. Students will have access to calculators, spell checkers and translation services so that they are able to pass through school without learning basic literacy and numeracy.

I say we, as technicians we're dead set against the idea but nobody in management listens to us. We are the proverbial mushrooms.

6. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I fully agree.

English is obviously not my primary language, but I do try my fullest at writing at the best of my abilities when communicating on forums, mails or even text messages. I count myself among a quickly diminishing group of people that insist on using full, coherent language even in text messages - and I scoff at bad grammar (sometimes to the point of me getting flamed quite severely because of it - though that is mostly in norwegian). And while we are at the subject of norwegian; our government take great and obvious pride in going on TV and bragging that we have just about the best schools in the world. This is a blatant lie which is quite obvious if you take a quick glance at the statistics and test results. Grammar, spelling, basic maths and language scores are plummeting in comparison to, for instance, finland, switzerland - yes, even sweden rate higher on average.

7. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

Part of the fun with sending a text message is trying to squeeze all you need to say into the 160 character limit, without using "txtspk" or bad SPaG (for those who haven't done an essay subject recently - Spelling, Punctuation, and Grammar)

But it's interesting no-one's noted how text messaging has killed off the even older /spoken/ conversation!

8. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Ah, spoken conversation indeed.
    You mean, real-time - with facial expressions, body language and pheromones? Yuck! That's just so last millennium. ;)

9. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Okai, so txt speeks iz not akseptibul.

But lolspeek iz oks, ryte? Lemmi demunstrayts:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Risky

Risky Modder

I'm a GM on an online football game and we get some messages from users in this drivel of unpunctuated, lowercase, misspelled and txt that are really tough going. I'd live to hope that these kids can actually write in English if they tried but I'm not completely sure.

I've also explained before that when you send a text to someone, it's reasonable to abbreviate as only one person needs make the effort to read it and his time reading is is balance with you time saved typing, but when you post on an online forum/conference, a lot more people have to read (translate) it making it a net waste of time. Sometime you persuade them...

11. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

My 76 year old neighbor is fluent in txt speak. :hehe:

12. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

As much as i deplore 'txt speak' it has its uses. I use it frequently when texting and occasionally on msn, mainly out of lazyness. However i usually give a quick thought as to whom im speaking to and adjust the level somewhat.

I think mobiles are partly responsible for the increased usage of 'txt speak'. I got my first mobile aged 15 and even then i didnt use it that often, now it seems your given a mobile when your born. A lot of people i know now send upwards of 400 texts a month, over time thats going to affect your writing style.
    I learnt a lot of my SPaG from reading, but this generations contact with well written literature has somewhat decreased with the increased usage of the internet (and its lack of formality).

13. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

It's even worse on things like MSN which give you a smaller timeframe to reply. One thing that does get on my man-tits however, is when people use 'lol' as every answer when someone says something to them. Come up with some originality already!

14. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I find it very difficult to type in text speak, I've never really tried to use it much and so the English language is far more natural to me.

15. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

I'm almost 25, and I hate it as well. A lot of people are just lazy these days, but it could be something else. It seems that texting as a passtime turns into a mindset and habitual way of communicating.

Every now and then here and on other forums, some lousy writer starts blabbering away without punctuation or proper wording. Man, those are fun times. Often the community will band together and ridicule away at the poster, after offering a second chance/warning of course.

Example: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=111139

Also, I love it when the Nexxo Translator beats the hell out of a poorly written post. http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=120301

Last edited: 25 Jun 2008
  16. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

its another annoying lanuage, one that i am only half aware off, when i first got a txt ending in 'lol' i took it as a spelling mistake and spent the follow hour working out what it could have been only to be told 'laugh out loud' which then caused me to 'SoL' and moan for many hours!

I omit my spelling at times isn't the best going, and at times i swear non native english speakers can spell better than me at times. but other than 'lol' used on a forum i hate anything else!

Some power above gave us the QWERTY keyboard to use, this powerful device allows use to fully express are opinion on a topic so why shorten it?

17. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

:lol:

It's OK, we forgive you:clap:

18. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

If there is one reason for everyone to love the iPhone it's that it encourages correct spelling!

19. weasal

weasal What's a Dremel?

I don't like text speak that much and I'm 17. I would say that I'm fairly much completely surrounded by text speak as I'm always sending lots of texting. On msn I find lots of people use similar language and I find it just annoying as it's just pointless as i would say text speak is useful for when there is no QWERTY keyboard. I myself have a QWERTY keyboard on my phone so I have managed to chose to avoid it all with the exception of removing a couple of letters to fit it into a single text. Only disadvantage to not using the text speak is that it means that when I send a longish text it is more likely to run into 2 or maybe 3 texts.

I would have to also say that even though I avoid text speak it allows for using less grammar which I can strongly say is not a strong point to me. With msn Ii would not bother with the grammar as there is not the need to be giving it all the time.

20. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Like others have said, it is acceptable to a certain degree when texting on a mobile phone, mainly due to the character limitation in place.
    However, used anywhere else it's just lazy, and if you are too lazy to type it out properly I'm too lazy to read it.

Tags: