1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you allowed in hand luggage this year?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mary Jo, 25 Jun 2008.

1. Mary Jo

Mary Jo oh lolz

I've not flown since last summer and I realize that the hand luggage rules are changing all the time.

Can anyone, who has flown recently, on an UK international flight (within EU) tell me what I'm allowed?

Is it still hand luggage for Zippo cigarette lighter?
    Are cigarettes allowed in hand luggage this year?
    Are we still not allowed to bring any water onto the plane?
    Anything else I should be aware of?

Ta.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Which airport are you flying from/to? They have their own rules about what you can and can't take with you. Their guidelines should be on the airport's website. :)

3. Major

Major Guest

You can carry most things except sharp objectes and things that can produce a flame / explode under pressure i.e. knife, bomb :p

4. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Basically, into or from the UK, you are allowed nothing-you may as well fly naked. The UK is to be avoided at all costs when it comes to air travel. If your flight departs from or lands into Heathrow, kill yourself now. You'll thank me after you respawn.

5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

You can take a bomb, really trust me, take a bomb. They'll even hold your hands on the plane.

6. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

they confiscated my parcel roll which i just bought to secure my long-board, because "i could do something".

you can take water on-board, just not through security. its a scam.

7. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

I've always wondered if it's possible to generate a way to take over a plane just using stuff you can buy in the shopping malls after they've removed all your cheaply bought produce at security.

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm in a similar boat, flying from Brum to Barcelona next month.

Gonna have to get angry and shout at some people I think..

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

On a long-haul flight, just wait until you're served a meal. Ta-da - pointy metal implements, the like of which you're not allowed to take on board. Perhaps a tableknife or fork is somehow less tempting to terrorists than nail scissors.

10. liratheal

IIRC they use plastic utensils, unless you're Mr.Importantflieseverywherebusinessorfirstclass (wo)man.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You mean you fly cattle class with the commoners? :p

Seriously, though: if terrorists are able to scrape up the funds for flying lessons and PE4, why exactly couldn't they save up for a first class ticket? It'd seat 'em closer to the pointy end, too.

12. liratheal

Actually, due to my height, they just give me a hose to breath through and strap me to the under carraige. Nice views.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from, but that might be too simple :p

13. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

I few to Frankfurt reasonably recently, I wasn’t allowed anything liquid over 100ml, including hair gel etc, that’s all I remember other than the 3 stages of security checks at Frankfurt airport when I was flying back!

14. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

WAY off topic, but apparently as im 6'5 im classed in the aviation world as a 'giant' and so i *should* be allowed the seats with more legroom free of charge! Haven't been flying since , so yet to test this out...

15. liratheal

I'll let you know how it goes when I get back from my holiday ;)

16. naokaji

naokaji whatever

check in early and request seat by emergency exit, most room for legs there, atleast thats how I fix the problem.

Officially lots of stuff if forbidden, scissors, lighters, fluids (unless purchased in shop at airport after security check), but in reality you have unmotivated people that earn the min wage and dont really care doing the checks, except at heathrow, dont ask me why, but its the airport in europe where they actually do enforce every policy exactly, unlike most other airports where they dont really care unless you have a gun or some explosives.

17. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Airport 'security' pisses me off.

I doubt its any safer from tewowists now than it was before.
    Every time I fly I can think of several ways you could cause mayhem at an airport or in the air.

18. liratheal

To be honest, anyone bigger and even remotely trained in hand to hand combat is likely to be able to overpower an air stweardess and the pilots.

Hell, what about those little emergency repair sewing kits that so many places sell in the airport?

They make all this fuss, but they always miss something.

19. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Yes that's right, 100ml max

20. Major

Major Guest

Yup I always think of ways in which I could create a problem in an airport, quite easy walking into an airport with a bomb. Why have stupidly strict rules when boarding an airplane with 200 people when you could blow up over 1000 in the main airport?