1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Hacking eyeballs - the Fulgurator

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 Jun 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

At first I thought it was a really OTT M11A1, akin to what Snake Pliskin uses in Escape from New York..

I want one >.>

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Where's the video? I can't find the link on the linked page in the article.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

5. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

ok, early morning dumbness. can someone tell me in laymans terms what this does?

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It detects the flash from a camera, and then projects an image of your choosing for a split-second. The result is that the image is recorded on the picture a third party was taking, but there's no evidence that it was ever there aside from said photograph. It's gone so quickly that the human eye never gets a chance to see it.

7. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Clever, and cool! I'd love to leave that set up against a landmark all the time. :D

8. 13en

13en Minimodder

The picture on his site shows it being used projecting text onto the mona lisa, so at first I though it could be used by galleries to ruin pictures so you have to buy their own merchandise, but given that it detects flashes - which probably piss people off in galleries - I guess thats less of an issue.

Cool toy though :p

9. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

needs more epic stealth goatse imo :p

10. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

This is the best invention ever.

I literally doesn't get any better.

Me wants.

11. chicorasia

chicorasia What's a Dremel?

Oh, those crazy guys from UDK Berlin...

http://www.digital.udk-berlin.de/en/projects.html

It is awesome, simply awesome. Great idea, great execution, and it is not devoid of commercial application.

One could have a couple Fulgurators set up in a theater or concert, for instance, so that it would imprint a copyright infringement message on any unauthorized photographs. Think of it as a "VOID" sticker for images.

But I'd much rather see it put to use in more subversive ways. Like said setup being used to ruin photographs of sports events - how about "free Tibet" burned into every picture of the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games?

12. soopahfly

soopahfly Minimodder

No purchase necessary?

13. Timmy_the_tortoise

Wouldn't you have to have it pointing in the right direction for every single photo taken though?

14. Gareth Halfacree

The idea is that you have it pointing at something people are likely to want to photograph. In the video, it's the famous "You are leaving the American quarter" Checkpoint Charlie sign. It won't work for people who aren't taking a photo of that sign. You don't need to point it at the camera.

15. Timmy_the_tortoise

I get that.. But I was talking about chicorasia's suggested ideas about the Olympics and in Theatres... How can you guarantee that from a crowd of people taking photos of god knows what in such a busy place.. that you're going to get the imprint on every single photo.

16. Gareth Halfacree

In the case of a theatre: point it at the stage. Why would anyone be taking photos of anything else, and more to the point why would you mind? In the case of the Olympics, point it at the surface the runners/jumpers/javeliners/whatevers are stood on. Why would anyone be taking photos of anything else, and more to the point why would you mind?

17. Timmy_the_tortoise

Well.. it's not going to work in a stadium if people are zooming right in and the fulgurator isn't pointing at that exact spot... Same with the Theatre. I'm not saying that people would take photos of anything else, or that anyone would care about that... But you'd need a fulgurator covering each exact point in the area to ensure EVERY last photo has the imprint.

18. Gareth Halfacree

Why not just project a big image over the entirety of the stage/arena with "VOID" written multiple times in a repeating pattern? No matter how far they zoom in, they'll see it.

'Course, they could simply not use flash - which would be redundant if you're using a telephoto anyway.

19. Timmy_the_tortoise

Good point...

You got me telt.

20. widmod

widmod Minimodder

i guess a full Olympic stadion would have a huge amount of cameras so that there will be allways flashes around. If so the device should project the image the whole time the stadion is filled, but the projection is carried out by a camera flash so it can project an image only for a short time.
    Also you would have to find a place to porject it in the whole stadion and bring the device trough security controls before.

Tags: Add Tags