1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Civilization Revolution

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 28 Jun 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Kode

Kode What's a Dremel?

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

looking at the cover, it sure reminds me of Pro Evolution Soccer heh

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

5. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

There's been so many Civ game.. I don't even feel like playing the new ones, I stopped at Civ IV I think

6. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I recommend downloading the demo for this, I honestly had more fun playing this than I had playing Civ IV... The game is far less dry, and it moves a lot quicker. I really didn't notice the lack of complexity, it was still pretty difficult.

One thing that I asked myself was, is this really a full game? Why not just release it on the arcade?

7. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Indeed, I tried the PS3 demo and was surprised at how easy it was to get into the game. There are some minor controller issues but after a few minutes I got the hang of all the buttons and whatnot (accidentally moved troops sometimes). It's a shame the demo is limited to the number of turns you can do but I just might consider picking it up, a nice change from GRiD and MGS4.

8. LooZypher

LooZypher Huh!? What!?

9. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

i brought this after playing the demo. i was hooked not played a Civ game since Civ2 but got this for the PS3.
    It does have its faults, it sometimes "sticks" between turns leaving a map and no interface for several second more than unnoticeable. The Lancaster bombers - ain't, they're B-29's, which is something i thought disappointing - that the units and more specifically the civ unique units are all the same models (apart from some early units from what i've played so far), that really miffed me i was looking forward to seeing an actual Lancaster carpet bomb Athens. Not tried the multiplayer or tried the Game of the Week which sounds good and not tried the scenarios yet.
    its addictive and at the £26 i paid for it i can just about over look the Lancaster, only just.

Last edited: 29 Jun 2008
  10. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

sorry double post

11. DarkLord7854

Why do people say that? Always confuses me.. French is much more polite and developed language than English/American, I don't get why, when resorting to crude saying, you say "pardon my french" :confused:

12. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

No, it isn't, though is does sound much nicer.

13. LooZypher

LooZypher Huh!? What!?

14. DarkLord7854

Each person's primary language is deemed by that person's as better most likely. Either way, if it became common practice for French people to say "pardon my English" when cursing, I would think you'd find that annoying no? :p

15. naokaji

naokaji whatever

what the hell have they done to civ? wannabe wow graphics (they even failed at that, not like it would be anything positive to start with, but atleast it would have sold with the kiddies), took it away from the pc and ruined it in every other way possible, shame on them.

16. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

The games haven't been right since Civilization II.. Civilization III was okay, but not great..

17. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

erm, civ 4 was the last one? theres an expansion pack for it too, but only one.

civ 3 was crap (stupid spearmen beating tanks...wtf?) but civ 4 was awesome. a proper evolution of the game. still play it now. kicks ass multiplayer. civ 2 does have it's charm though...

anyhoo, this game is civ for the casual generation. no doubt there'll be a civ 5 for the pc at some point which will please us micro management ocd people.

18. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

Two actually, Beyond the Sword and Warlords. I love the trebuchet in Warlords, watching it flail away at some hapless bugger makes me giggle.

19. grolph

grolph What's a Dremel?

I've enjoyed it very much. You can finish a game in an hour or two, which is great for trying scenarios and new strategies. It was better after I turned off the voices and stopped using the d-pad to switch units and used the right thumbstick instead. This is the biggest problem with the game. It's hard to find detailed information about the game. The tutorial covers the basics, and there's some stuff in the manual but most of it is in the civilopedia. I only found out about waypoints by hunting through the civilopedia. And I only know what the Zulu's overrun bonus does because I stumbled across it while looking for something else.

Combat is mostly decided by who has the most bonuses, like hills, fortifications and naval support, more than who has the most advanced units. Any single unit while almost always lose to an army. The defense bonuses are very easy to get so to attack you need to have as many modifiers as you can get. Also sending in a second spy to destroy forticfications has no effect.

Also, it would be nice to have better multiplayer options. There doesn't seem to be a way to make the AI in multiplayer harder. The players can be given bonuses but the AI is stuck on about King.

Tags: Add Tags