1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In the last 6 months how many people have you advised on purchasing a PC or Notebook?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hiren, 10 Jun 2008.

?

In the last 6 months how many people have you advised to purchasing a PC or Notebook?

1. None

15 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. 1 or 2

41 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. 3 to 5

95 vote(s)
    35.4%
  4. 6 to 10

54 vote(s)
    20.1%
  5. 11 to 20

18 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. 20 + more

45 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. iggy

iggy Minimodder

i walk up to people on trains and tell them all about the wonders of pcs. they all run away though.

2. danmec

danmec What's a Dremel?

Just the one. They didn't listen though

3. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

About a dozen, mixture of laptops, desktops, and a couple servers.
    And then another dozen or so upgrades, both laptop & deskop machines.

4. SanDmaN

SanDmaN Minimodder

erm..... I do it for a living so i'd say about 500+ :D hahahaha

5. Peter187

Peter187 What is a Dremel?

Buy a Dell they always have a deal going lol.. unless you want somthing for gaming.

Last edited: 2 Jul 2008
  6. Elv13

Elv13 What's a Dremel?

11-20 IRL, 3 or 4 time that online only

7. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I'd love to advise on purchsing PCs, but I'm never asked...

I don't have any friends who buy their own PCs.. since I'm only 19.. and my older brother often gets all of the questions from my family.. Although, he has moved to london now.. so my parents are starting to direct more of the technical questions to me.. I advised on the purchase of our new TV, which ended up being a Panasonic Viera LDZ-80.. I think... I got it from past experience, since my mate has the model below, which is a cracking TV.

I have had the of what graphics card to buy... and I said not to bother because he didn't even have AGP, nevermind PCIe..

.... He got an AGP card... And then a SATA DVD Drive without a SATA motherboard...

Last edited: 4 Jul 2008
  8. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Laptop .. Dell or Apple

Machine - custom baby! (or iMac for appleheads :p)

9. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I got fed up and started just suggesting people get dells...

10. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

You're a HORRIBLE person.

11. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Do 20+ every day at work. I work at Office Depot, trying to prevent bad purchases.

12. xion

xion Minimodder

i've tried to give up all input to this type of question for one simple reason, you instantly become 24-7 support, for any problem no matter how tenuously linked it may be. In fact i had a call last week from someone i built a rig for 7 years ago, apparrently it was running slow and could i take a look...

avoid helping people, yup, may not be firendly, but it saves you wanting to rip their heads off in frustration years later! :p

13. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

I almost convinced my dad to get an 8800GT... but Scan didn't have the specific model I'd showed him so he got an Evga 9600GT instead. Good stuff.

14. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

well i was selecting parts and reading reviews all over for my system upgrade in march 2008, then in about 4 weeks time 3 friends had the same idea and asked for advice, so i recomended my system upgrade. And all are happy gaming, video editing, and audio edting since then on their new upgraded systems. But the bad thing is... I still have not upgraded and still working on a 3 years old machine (with a gt8800 I bought in may)

:(

15. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I always tell people to buy Dells now, why the hell should I bother trying to help people that don't know what they're doing and resolve their problems when they just need to contact their on site dell support.

16. shaffaaf27

shaffaaf27 The budget builder

nto on bit tech, but on the OcUK fourms i mostly just spec PCs for everyone at different pricepoints, via the OcUK shop.

17. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Self-employed?

18. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

4 i reckon, all laptops, which i don't know much about but i'm the family goto for geekiness. 1 Dell, 2 PCWorld (sorry) and a Macbook. I end up sorting their wireless config too.
    I have become IS support ("Turn it off, now back on." see, its true!), but tend to get them to ring the helplines if its too taxing. I started with "yeah you could build a cool one", but it should be obvious that if they've got to ask for so much guidance a pre-fab is the best option, they just need a helping hand deciding ("whats your budget, what do want it for, well this one fits the bill but this one will be "faster" and is only £30 more" etc etc)

19. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

amongst people i know that are into tech i usually get asked. i advise family and they ignore me.

i once had a friend who asked me for advice on a new hard drive and told him scan was usually cheapest. he went and bought a sata hdd for an ide board and then claimed i told him that anything from scan would do the job. and this guy is a doctor!

idiot.

20. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

I've advised noone in the last 6 months though I've had a few people ask me about upgrading parts of their PC's. aside from that, I've been telling people not to buy from department stores (especially one named harvey norman) as some sell low end machines for top end or midrange prices (2.2GHz sempron, 2GB ram, 160GB HDD, 8400GS graphics, HD DVD burner, 19" or 22" monitor for $2200 at harvey norman or a pc with a Core 2 Duo E8200, 2GB RAM, 640GB HDD, 20xDVD-Writer, Dual nVidia 9600GT 512MB in SLI and no monitor for $1720.00 at an online retailer).
    I've given advice for getting a new PC to some people, but I don't know if they've gone a got a new computer from said advice as they've mostly been people I only see once a week for half an hour at a meeting or people I don't see for long periods of time.