1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Pioneer BDC-SO2BK Blu-ray Drive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 30 Jun 2008.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. rav666

rav666 What's a Dremel?

i would be most interested if you compared the playback on a ps3 and a Pc with this drive rather then the benchies. And maybe ease of use compared to a standalone player or ps3 ?

3. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

i got ps3, so theres no need for one for me, till PC games start to come on a Blu-ray...

4. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

"Currently finding a greater variety of software to playback Blu-ray media is very difficult, unfortunately, but if you've any other suggestions feel free to let us know!"

What about Media Player Classic Home Cinema? ( http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/ )

Nice clean simple user interface, completely and utterly free. I'm not sure, however, if it's capable of the super high definition audio, but it's certainly been programmed to handle Blu-Ray. I haven't got a Blu Ray drive, or even a PC capable of handling one, however this program is what I have my eye on!

5. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I'm gonna need some software capable of playing both Blu-Ray and HD DVD... Because I plan on getting a BD/HDDVD combo drive for the ridiculously cheap HDDVDs available at Amazon and HMV atm.

I just wish someone would update VLC already!

6. koola

koola Minimodder

Your gonna have a long wait, OSS hasn't cracked the BD+ virtual machine encryption yet. There is only one company who has... Slysoft and they are commercial.

You can use a specific build of PowerDVD which has a bug that allows playback although I forget the build version, just google it.

7. Timmy_the_tortoise

What about HD DVDs though?

8. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Why would any company seriously make a BR/HD-DVD combo? HD-DVD is dead, correct? Why can't you purchase a cheap 360 add-on?

9. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

The author must like testing on obscure hardware, Did anyone else notice the Q9500 2.83GHz cpu? Last I looked there was a Q9300, a Q9450, a Q9550 and a Q9650 cpu, But no Q9500. I'd rather get as some have stated here already a PS3, If I could afford It, Since I can't right now, I'll go without.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Q9550 then, jeeeeez typo. :p

11. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Because they can?! You can get an LG BR/HD-DVD reader / DVD writer for £75 - http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=729076 - less than the cost of the tested Pioneer BR only drive.

I guess the marginal cost of adding HD-DVD isn't that great, and it gives you the flexibility to play any HD disc from either camp.

12. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

the HD combo drives are actually a remnant from when the format war was still going on. Manufacturers could either side with one and potentially leave a lot of redundant hardware, or build support for both.

I've certainly seen LG dual HD drives for a long while

13. Timmy_the_tortoise

BD/HDDVD combos have been around for ages, before the end of the war...

There are a hell of a lot of HD DVDs left out there which have been left unsold, if a company can get money from selling a product which allows people to use those, they will.

I'd rather not purchase the 360 Add on because I am using my 360 over HDMI to a 1920x1200 PC Monitor which DOESN'T have 1:1 Pixel Mapping, therefore giving a 120 pixel stretch (60 pixels at the top and bottom, each). I can live with that stretch in games... But I prefer to watch my Movies without the stretch, if possible.

14. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Another Pioneer DVD-120S user here :D.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

will only buy one if it has the ability to record BD and it costs less then 75€

17. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Give it 6 months, I'm sure the current ~£150 price tag will have dropped.

18. Lakeuk

Lakeuk What's a Dremel?

I'll wait till these type of drives are £20

19. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Until it burns BD-DL discs and costs under 100 USD, I really can't be asked to care.

Also, who thought a mandatory icon that can't be removed was a good idea? :eyebrow:

20. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

umm.. the US link is to a Refurbished model... what does non-refurb push?

Tags: Add Tags