1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worthwhile buying parts in Singapore or Malaysia?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by voodoo2k4, 1 Jul 2008.

1. voodoo2k4

voodoo2k4 Ghetto Modder

Hi guys,

Coming to you live off my Archos 605wifi on some poor saps open wlan! You may guess from the post time that Im currently in asia at the moment. Anyone sad\stoned enough can read my blog at www.travelblog.org/bloggers/deanandsarah :yawn:

Anyway my tech question is after finishing up in Indonesia and Vietnam were going to be in Malaysia and Singapore for a few weeks and I am currently after a high end AM2, a HD4850 and 2Gb of DDR2. Does anyone know if you can save that much by picking them up out here, saving would need to be substantial as no after sales!

Its that or eBuyer when I get back? Tired of typing with a pen now...
    Advice appreciated.

Dean.

2. Sleepy_Sentry

Sleepy_Sentry What's a Dremel?

You'll probably find that parts in Asia are more expensive than in the UK.

3. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

What on earth makes you say that?

To answer the question, Singapore is slightly cheaper (on average) then the US, much cheaper then the UK. At least when I was there looking at cameras. Most PC/audio/camera stuff is available in the consumer electronics malls. Look for Sim Lim Square on Rochor Canal Road. IIRC, the 3rd floor is PC stuff.

Be ready to haggle a bit and walk away if need be. Have a good idea of what you want, and what it costs elsewhere. That will give you a benchmark price to beat.

If you are only there for a short time, treat yourself to a tourist bit of fun, and go to the Hawker Stalls AKA the food market- and sit down and have a pepper crab. If you have more time, then look around for a real food stall and have the same. The Hawker Stalls are a bit cleaned up, but good fun, and pepper crab in Singapore is better then anywhere else.

Last edited: 1 Jul 2008
  4. voodoo2k4

voodoo2k4 Ghetto Modder

I was going to say, surely at least you save the UK VAT?!!

Yeah I know what the rock bottom UK prices are and I think that im at least Ok at haggling after travelling asia for 6 months and working in morroco too for a spell!

If I could save 30% or moreI think I would go for it, any less and the lack of any chance of RMA'ing any parts would put me off.

I would like to look up some guide prices, anyone know any cheap singapore/malay component websites?

Any reccomended stores in Sim Lim?

Thanks,
    Dean.

PS Thanks for the hawker tip off, we eat at street stalls a lot and love crab too so will definately give it a go!

PPS Vietnameese internet cafes rock i.e. 5000 dong an hour (15p) fast and you can order cold beer at 30p a go from you PC!! Heaven :jawdrop: