1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you hate your job ?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 2 Jul 2008.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I have three. One is technically two. I'm hired out a couple of days a week to another support company.

I hate the two support jobs. Passionate hate. Like, I nearly catch fire hate.

The other one? Love it. Couldn't be more at home in a job, I actually enjoy doing it, look forward to doing it, it's great, IMO.

2. knuck

knuck Hate your face

go ahead it's going to give us hope !

3. Colossous

Colossous Minimodder

I quit tonight lol !

4. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

I work as a grocery Clerk at Dominion, in Ontario. The management isn't so bad, there's little pressure, and the people are cool. Christ, it's unfulfilling work, that you don't even tell people about. "I have a job" is the end of that discussion.

5. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

Hated my last couple jobs, my current one is tech work at a school, moving in new computers and moving out old ones. It can be frustrating, but overall it isn't a bad job, pay is good for a summer job, $10/hour.

6. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

I work at a warehouse with household appliances, picking one of this and one of that with a forklift. loading trucks during the night. the minimum is picking and packing 40 appliances an hour. on a good shift one person can pick and pack roughly 350. average output on 12 hours is 2000 units. some days up to 1500 more. divide that by 5 people. I work evening shift from 18-02. or should be 18-02.. We have been understaffed for the past year. Try putting in 12 hour shifts maybe more some times, for the past 1½ years. They expect it even though my contract says 37 hours a week.. I mostly have 55-60 hours a week. then comes the slow period.. 2 months where you get to pick belly button fluff most of the time. and get to go home on time or even before that. then all of a sudden they do a sales campaign on all items in stock and stuff that will reach us a few days later too. so you are back on 12 hour shifts. and half the staff is on holiday on top of that. I need a vacation but cannot get it because they say we have to meet our deadline.

pay is good though. i have an income of £3800/£2200 after tax and all that.
    i'm quitting my job in a few months and then ill take some time off..

7. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i love my job. i'm a landscaper in a resort town. it's hard labour, but what we do is top notch, super expensive stuff. not only are the end results beautiful, but the work is fun also, it very rarely gets repetitive or boring. and as an added bonus, you aren't trying to make a sale, and most of the time you don't even have to talk to the customer. oh, and i get to play with all kinds of cool toys and make really, really good money.

ghys, if you've already secured a new job your old one should be tons of fun. my last two weeks at canadian tire were spent verbally abusing customers, sniping my bosses with airsoft guns from the warehouse, spilling lubricants on the floor to have sliding contests, spraying down the seat covers in automotive with fake moose piss from sporting goods, etc. just do all the things that should get you fired, because you know they can't fire you anymore.

8. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I love my job, though it too has bad days.

I get to work 24 hours on, 48 off, get paid to sleep, get paid to go shopping and hang out at the beach, and sometimes it's even exciting. I even like most of the people I work with.

That said, i have certainly had my share of jobs where I get off work Thursday afternoon and spend the entire weekend dreading going back to work monday. My last job was like that and i spent most of my time thinking how much i would rather be dead than at work. I have no idea how I put up with that as long as I did.

Life is too short to spend that much of your time being miserable. I'm making almost $5 an hour less now than I did in my last job, but you know what? I look forward to coming to work now. Makes a HUGE difference in my quality of life!

9. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

QFT. I took a pay cut to switch to my current job. I can't say that I love it, but I certainly don't hate it. It's paradise compared to wanting to eat a gun every weekday morning like I did at my last job.

10. EmJay

EmJay What's a Dremel?

On my drive home, there's often a giant dancing soft drink at one particular corner. It's a guy in a blow-up rubber suit advertising the local sub shop. Every time I see him, I remember how much I really appreciate my job...

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Same feelings, but a totally different job. I'm never going to really enjoy what I'm doing so long as I'm working under someone else, but I don't dread going to work like my last job (where my father currently works as well, and he's looking for a way out) which was just dealing with egotistical asses who had no idea how to do their job. I make significantly more to boot (I'm still very underpaid for my position; but it's not bad at all for my age and educational qualifications, which goes a lot farther than it should for determining pay)

12. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

just started a new job and its not too bad at all. The job I am leaving I didnt really hate but was getting very tired of it. Only paid minimum wage ($8.00/hr) and this new one I get $10.50/hr.

I work from 7am - 3:30pm so its not bad.

13. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Think you could get me a job? :D Thinking of moving down there, and need to find something.

14. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I certainly don't hate my job, but then again, I don't love it either - it's a job. It is, however, the best job I've had so far.

I have had jobs I've hated with a deep and flaming passion. Used to work as a technician for a company selling, installing and "tailoring" video conference systems to the very high-end business market in the oil industry. The technical stuff was fun, for a while, but it quickly got repetitive, and the rest of the people working there were b***tards with no interest in the technology aside from work, and apart from that it was mainly football and beer. And whenever I said something along the lines of; "No, today I'm afraid I can't stay at work 'till 2300hrs" I got the sour looks and everything, even though my contract clearly stated I was not obligated to work outside of 0800 to 1600hrs. Well, so I guess it's more fair to say it was the managers that I had problems with. Oh, and never mind the 1.5hrs in more or less constant traffic jam to and from work - every day! I can see this would have driven me crazy after a while; I'm talking Falling Down kind of over the edge crazy.

I've also worked for a car dealership selling Nissans and Subarus. I generally don't much care for people, however I found i did okay as long as I didn't have to talk to the boss. The guy who owned the dealership did nothing except sitting with his legs on the desk all day keeping an eye on everyone else - making sure people worked. You know the kind of boss I'm talking about; never lifts a finger himself, but is damn quick with the whip if he spots someone reading the daily paper on-line for instance. Bast**d!

Anyway, my rant is over, and after working as an IT-consultant for a while, I now find myself in a managerial position. I work as a project manager for a big, national IT project and ICT-advisor. It's working out excellently in fact, and the people are - in fact - quite okay. The point is this, sooner or later you'll find something more along what you can handle - I mean; we all need a job, but I can think of a great number of things I'd rather be doing. ;)

15. C0nKer

C0nKer What's a Dremel?

I don't hate my current software engineering job. But I have a feeling I'll hate my future job as instrumentation exec in maintenance department of an MTBE plant. Maybe because what I do here matters more, and the result of my work is clear right in front of me as opposed to working in a large downstream oil and gas plant, where I'm just another fresh grad exec.

Last edited: 3 Jul 2008
  16. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

I hate my job, I'm a kid in college so it's unskilled labour, but I move mail for a charter company for the US Postal Service. My hours are 1-6 AM moving heavy bags/boxes of mail. But the pay is 10.50 an hour plus 2.59 into a 401k on top of that starting out, so I deal with it.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Getting there... :sigh:

It's not the job so much as the NHS system I work in.

18. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Wouldn't it be possible to go private health care groups, or is that not really any different bar the name?

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Not much different. The best way would be to go self-employed in private health care, perhaps start a little business with a few colleagues.

20. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

No I quite like my job. My last job was hell, even the worst days here are better than the best days there. Sure I moan a lot (as Joe will attest to) I'd still rather work here than there.