1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GAME to publish games too?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Jul 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

"several publishers are vocally annoyed that they get zero revenue from the sales of pre-owned games"

and this is why Steam doesn't allow you to sell on the games you buy. (something I see people complaining about a lot)

3. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

i see buying games the same way i do when buying a novel. I'm not going to sell it on, its just not worths it, for the ~£10 you sell a game on for i'd rather keep it for a rainy day. most games in my collection have been played through at least once, but some (mgs, ff7, hl2) have had more than 10 runs through easily, i bet ff7 must be on about 25, and thats a long game

4. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

Lets face it people, for the price of games nowadays, there is simply no point in selling them on, y'all know you like looking at them on your Steam list lol. I guess it would be a bad idea for Steam to allow you to sell games as people would be sellin them to each other all the time rather then paying Valve anything.

5. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

well they rip off the rental dealers.... so they can eat it when it comes to preowned. we spend a fortune on our game rental buisness at blockbuster... its a little outrageous

6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I don't understand what the whole issue with sales of secondhand games is all about. The publishers already got their cut when the game was sold the first time, expecting more is just greedy.

You don't see other industries jumping up and down about the secondhand market. If I buy a book secondhand, I don't get mugged by representatives from Penguin asking for a cut of what I paid; if I buy a secondhand fridge, Hotpoint don't ask for more money.

7. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

if im acutally interested in a game ill buy it new, otherwise if im not that interested ill see if i can get it preowned and if i dont see it for the right price i wont get.
    id say 80% of my games were bought new and the ones i was iffy about i bought preowned.
    if im confident in the quality of a game ill buy it new, but im not paying €70 for a game that could out to be tat
    and if game publishers were making games that people didnt want to part with there wouldnt be a preowned market, im not getting rid of pgr, orange box, cod 23or4, halo 3, rainbow 6, GTA4 probably not crackdown because of their replay value

8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Car companies actively encourage the second hand market. The easier it is to sell your Hyundai when the warranty/ 3 years is up the more likely you are to buy it new. If only games pubs would see it that way, if your game has a good resale value i'll buy it new and get it before its up for resale safe in the knowledge its cost £30 in stead of £50 since i got £20 back for it.

9. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

Digital distribution > GAME.
    Im lazy.

10. naokaji

naokaji whatever

mobile phones come to mind, what do you think why they offer you money (through a as complicated as legally somehow possible procedure) for your old one? exactly, so you dont give it to your grandmother (or someone else who cant tell its old crap) and has to get a new one as well.

11. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Not a bad idea... publish games and make them exclusive to your (virtual monopoly of a) retail department, and then see a MASSIVE chunk of the profits from every sale.

12. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Game is also about to purchase Gamestation... Looks like they have big aspirations!

13. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

They bought Gamestation from Blockbuster months ago... it may have even been a year now..

14. will.

Did they? haha.. Shows how much I pay attention.

15. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

You didnt read Joe's article did you? Or you would have noticed this int he first line of the second para.

16. will.

I speed read the internet.

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

the future of game distribution lies in the internet, game stores are set to be extinct or to get far far smaller in importance.

18. Liquid K9

Liquid K9 Human programmer.. heh

Can someone explain the rationale these greedy bar stewards are lobbying that explains why on earth they deserve to be paid perpetually for a product a person has already paid for?

Theres something about the fact that you cant physically touch something that makes people go nuts, and greedy. mostly greedy.

God, I think you touched a nerve with that.... seriously! When I buy something, I OWN it. All this software licensing stuff has gotten so overboard, its like we're being bled dry by some sort of licensing-mafia.

When you own something you should, by my reconing, have the right to:

1) use it, abuse it, do whatever you want to it - its yours. [modding]

2) loan it to others (bearing in mind, only that one person is using it in the case of software, at the same time) [rental]

3) sell it on [um.. capitalism?]

and all without these greedy companies getting all whiny about not getting EXTRA pocket money :wallbash: :wallbash:

19. Liquid K9

Liquid K9 Human programmer.. heh

yeah, and they said there would be a paper-less office too...

people will always want a reason to go and see the world outside, and touch the stuff they're buying. not everyone likes the future where everything is digital... including human beings.

20. kempez

kempez modding again!

I'm not a fan of digital games if it's the big titles, I like to see the box on my shelf (I've got HL2 in a retail box). Indie and cheaper games are ok, but like with the Wii when I sold it I couldn't sell the games I bought with it, which pissed me off somewhat tbh

OT: Game selling indie titles could be cool, if they're any good of course:

Tags: Add Tags