1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Oldschool HTPC - Update 2008-06-24 - front panel progress

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by konvoj, 10 Jun 2008.

1. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

This is a perfect Low-budget mod. Excellent Craftmanship!

I'll be keeping an eye on this - keep up the good work!

2. konvoj

konvoj What's a Dremel?

So another photos which i already have is here...
    i cut almost whole of the front side and when i file the window, i soldered the Cu wires to their places like at the backplate.sprayed with filler,sanded and sprayed with black spray,the product is here:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and from the sheat of foam rubber (you use this underlay to sleep on that,when camping, i don't know the exact expression) was cut some pieces and were fixed on the right places:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and what about cooling of that heating monster?ok,i took a piece of tin from an old case bottom and bend it the right way,then cut two holes for fans,file it, and there the fans and the fan plate are:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    so,mounted together:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and we're ready to fit hardware in...and in the meantime, the front panel is going to be made...as soon as i get another pictures, i'll post them here.

3. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

nice looking project chap.

i particularly like the psu so far.

4. JAxen

JAxen What's a Dremel?

Sweet! Ill follow this one..

I was actually looking for this kinda desktop ATX case for my HTPC but didnt get hold of any second handed : (
    So I got myself an old ATX case, large enough to hold a proper watercooling rig thou : D
    (Sry for threadjacking) : )

5. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

The PSU mod is genius. I'm looking forward to more.

6. imkeller

imkeller What's a Dremel?

The tuning is evident indeed!

Nice mod!

7. konvoj

konvoj What's a Dremel?

thank you for your comments guys.i have another pictures of mod.this is the test, when i wanted to check,whether everything fitted on the right place, so i mounted whole hardware just for check.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    so the test was ok.i have to say something about that graphic card-it's nvidia GeForce 5600FX (really a heat monster).there was originally a cooler from saphire radeon 9600 (small and noisy).the gc cost me nothing,my brother gave it to me for nothing.for my own PC, i had bought Asus GeForce 7600 GS passive,but my intention was to use accelero s2 cooler on that.so i mounted the original passive cooler off and replace it with tuned-up accelero (didn't fit for AGP version of 7600GS:eyebrow:). so i took that piece of ribbed aluminium by guys in asus called "cooler" and modify it for use on the 5600 FX(sorry for having no pictures).after some drilling and after some thread making i brushed and polish the surface and mounted it on.I made some tests of temperature in my computer,but when there was good air flow in case,there where no problems even if overclocked!so silent card was here,just stick there another AC graphic card memory coolers and the product is here.
    No cable management was done,this is only a test. okay and let's have a look at the front panel i decided to make from scratch.these are the only pictures,i have, but it's almost done now. I decided to use hardened polystyrene,that i had for nothing,because this was a piece that they couldn'd sold for years,so they gave me that just to get rid of it,fantastic! the plastic is 4mm thick and i use cyanoacrylate glue to stick it together.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    so this is it,i'll try to take another pictures and post them asap. thanks for comments and criticism,see ya.:clap:

8. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Nice stuff, I hope you will finish it. Looks promising : simple yet nice to watch and well executed.

9. konvoj

konvoj What's a Dremel?

thanks for your kind words,i'll try to finish it asap and i will post a budget of this mod.Anyone will see,that modder don't have to spend much money.

to:
    g3n3tiX
    imkeller
    500mph
    JAxen
    farthazza

thanks guys,i'm glad,you like it..soon there will be new photos.maybe tomorrow.see ya.

10. konvoj

konvoj What's a Dremel?

this is how cordless mouse receiver looks like:
    [​IMG]
    you can see 4 smd leds 0805 to signal-active/caps/num/scroll, so the caps lock led was replaced by the red one,and others with blue ones.(every¨light will be blue on this mod and some small details will be red)
    [​IMG]
    this is the thing, i hate-you ¨can see those plexi or what pieces,that are use to transform the light into the right location.but when any of led is turn on,every indicator is illuminated..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    so u cut that element into two pieces and glue a piece of plastic there:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    after sanding to the right dimensions:
    [​IMG]
    sorry,that i don't have a picture of that receiver when turn on.that cut into two pieces works perfectly!
    so keep an eye here for some new pictures soon.see ya

11. konvoj

konvoj What's a Dremel?

I bought a mesh.promising look and the equivalent of 4$, nice price.so this is it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and with the front panel-what do you think it will look like?:rock:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the dvd opening button will use this mechanism:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and the front panel looks like this now:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    so hang on there guys, see ya

12. konvoj

konvoj What's a Dremel?

so another small update
    i need to ue another knobs on a fan controller Akasa AK-FC-06-BK (cheap and reliable) so i bought those knobs shown on the left side,on the right side is modified original one. i grinded the original knobs :dremel: and then glued it into new aluminium ones.
    [​IMG]
    glued together:
    [​IMG]
    and the finished triple of knobs perfectly modified to fit on that akasa control panel!
    [​IMG]
    nice big black aluminium knobs:
    [​IMG]

and another progress with the front panel:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    so this is it for today,i have no time to finish the front panel nowadays,but i'll try to do my best and to finish it asap for you to see the whole mod.:rock: see ya

13. Nolimited

Nolimited What's a Dremel?

I love the front panel that you created nice job ;)
    and the system dvd button is realy job i waiting the next update:thumb:

14. konvoj

konvoj What's a Dremel?

thanks for your kind words!
    another small update is here, this is my idea,how the front panel will look.the grey stuff is 3mm thick aluminium and the black is plexi glass.i have to manufacture this asap,but there is not enough time nowadays:(
    [​IMG]
    so that's it,hang on for another photos soon.see ya

15. konvoj

konvoj What's a Dremel?

still no time to mod :wallbash: so i made some upgrades and bought some new hardware,take a look:
    new tv card:
    [​IMG]
    and a new sound card:
    [​IMG]
    so this is it,see ya!

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

crap sound card.... sorry.

17. GavX

GavX What's a Dremel?

X-Fi crap? how??
    Or is that an Audigy?

18. Matticus

Matticus ...

Looking brilliant. The PSU mod suprised me, the case you started with looked very dull, but as soon as I saw what you did to the PSU I just knew the rest would be great.

I like the front panel and those 2 fans behind it, nice and orginal.

Cheap though, and that what this case is about, cheap and oldschool.

Its the Audigy SE by the looks of it.

19. konvoj

konvoj What's a Dremel?

yes it is,but it's a card,that is 5.1 and is cheap enough (equivalent of 25$). it's audigy sb live card. this mod should be cheap.if you don't have brilliant 5.1 speakers,it's not important what soundcard you have. my speakers are genius 5005 and it's not very smart to buy super-sound-hyper-mega-sound card though.

thank's for your kind and encouraging words, when i finish the front panel, it'll look more clear and more glamorous,so do look forward to next updates!

20. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Just had a quick skim through all the pics and its looking good.
    Looking forward to seeing the front when its done. :)

Tags: