1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Traits removed from Fallout 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Jul 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Grasshopper

Grasshopper What's a Dremel?

I have a bad feeling for this game. Won't be surprised if it end up a FSP with many RPG elements. And I was hoped for good old fashion 100+ hours RPG.

3. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

I notice a lack of shadows on the table in that first screenshot. doesn't look too good as it appears the cutlery on the table is floating. aside from that, its looking pretty good, though I would like to see some gameplay videos.

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Hm. If the traits are merged well with perks it hopefully won't be a problem... but that level cap sounds way too low. :(

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

..Level cap of 20?!

That's utter crap. How the hell does a level cap of 20 sound even remotely like a good idea in a game that's supposed to be as big as Fallout 3?!

6. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

kinda looks to me like the setting of stalker and the gameplay of morrowind. of course i could be totally wrong. it's the set up for an amazing game and i think they'll give it the polish it needs/deserves. but you're totally right about the floating cutlery.

7. CardJoe

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the original Fallout had a level cap too. I think a patch later removed it from Fallout 2, but in FO I dimly recall that you could only reach level 20 there too.

TBH, I don't care if there's a level cap of 5 - the key will be making player progression feel tangible and providing solid gameplay.

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

They'll charge you for expansion packs which increase the level cap by 20 each time probably.

Worked good for WoW

9. liratheal

Honestly, I haven't played the original for so long, I can't remember.

But in this day and age, a level cap of 20 just feels horribly backwards. I'm not saying they should have a level cap of, what, 206 like Sacred, but something a bit more meaty than 20. I'd have been happier with 50, to be honest. It's not for the traits/perks/whatever, hell, I wouldn't care if you could only take five. It's the fact that once you hit the cap, you're left with nothing other than the story to keep you playing, and well, that would have to be one damn good story. It may not be an issue for someone who doesn't grind well, but I could grind the shell off an armadillo coated in Teflon.

Ahaha, yeah, that did work startlingly well for WoW, didn't it :D

Not sure how well it'd work for a predominantly SP game though :B

10. CardJoe

True, but the game could be well structured like the first one in that it takes you the entire game to get to level 20 and you'll only likely to get to level 17 or 18 on a first, normal playthrough. If the levels are spaced properly then I can definitely believe that.

11. liratheal

I can see where you're coming from, but spacing levels is no easy task (Took my boss and I a while to agree on anything >.>), which brings me back to Oblivion. The level system in that was really difficult to get on with. The 'progress as you use it' may work well for some games (Crackdown, WoW.. Those are the only two that come to mind instantly), but with Oblivion it felt like it removed a lot of the 'character development' that is so key to RPG games. Anyway. Back to the point. If Fallout was to use anything like that, for anything, it would fall into the unforgivable pit of frustrating games that feature less immersion than an empty lake. How are you supposed to get into the role of the character if (s)he is, thanks to the level system, able to do anything and everything?

I will eat my words if it turns out to be good, though, I will still dislike the cap at 20. Another thought on the level spacing - Unless it's in the region of hundreds of thousands of exp. between levels, I would honestly not be surprised if I made my way to 20 before I got half way through the story, unless they do something mad like forcing you to go to a specific 'section' to be able to hit the next level.

12. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

looks good cant wait, i have every confidence in bethedsa

13. bowman

bowman Minimodder

I had faith in them, I'm ashamed to say. Can't say there's an ounce of that left now.

I bought Oblivion (CE edition even) purely on Morrowind's feats. I'm not going to do that mistake again (well this time I'd be buying it on Oblivions 'feats' so kinda hard to do).

14. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

Bah, it'll be oblivion with guns. First they thinned the list of skills and now this. It'll fail. People who didnt play the old fallout games might like it, but I doubt that the veterans will feel the least at home in it..

15. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Honestly, the bar textures looks meh in the first screenshot, but we can't tell until we see proper gameplay/video footage.
    The Pip Boy is really cool, from what I've seen they've done it right, although it doesn't look as damaged as the ones in Fallout.

16. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Having never played the first two Fallouts... I'm entirely new to the franchise...

And it's looking good to me.

17. CardJoe

*SLAP*

GTFO.

18. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I'm sorry, but I'm only a young pup...

19. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

It's the oblivion inventory/char-screen with a new look. It's NOT properly done..

20. CardJoe

NO EXCUSES!
    *slap*

Tags: Add Tags