1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Todd Hollendhead defends Doom 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Jul 2008.

1. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

My god, another dev uses the ole It sold well so it must be good. Sorry, compared to other shooters, doom 3 is a bad game, bad games often sell well (See most console games). It was not scary, predictable, too claustrophobic, gameplay from 1996. Sorry, ID has not made a good game in ages, they are far from the best PC dev around, very medicore.

2. Lepermessiah

How can anyone say it made you jump or was actually scary, or nervous? The lame monster closets, after 5 minutes you can tell exactly when a monster was going to jump out. Terrible scare tactic, that ended up maing the game lame and predictable. If you jumped ot scared playing D3, the tooth fairly must scare you too. Sorry, todd, considering uyou made the game you're a little biased. The sheer number of gamrs who were dissappointed and thought it was poor is to hard to ignore. Time for ID to modernize and catch up to other devs.

3. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Played Doom 3, got bored. Moved on to Penumbra, got scared. Doom did not succeed in doing what I felt it was trying to do.

4. Lepermessiah

The fact he even had to try and defend it is tellimng enough. You don't see Valve defending HL2, they don't need to. ID does not make good games, just good engines.

5. SlickGnome

SlickGnome What's a Dremel?

I survived as long as I could, but when I started predicting exactly where most of the mobs were coming out of next, I finally gave up and switched to something else. It was just too repetative.

6. Xir

Xir Modder

She would...but in my head, she's a hottie and thus scared of me :lol:

Doom3 was really beautiful and it was too dark to see anything.
    I...don't like scary games, well not the ones that rely on shockeffects alone. Blood and Gore, bring em on. But sneaking around in the dark just to be jumped at...nah. (Maybe I'm a little :waah:baby?)
    Skipped FEAR for the same reason too.

Played quake4 through in one session though :clap:

Howcome these nasty NPC come to jump (and scare) me but I don't get to chainsaw them till their head comes of and spray their in-the-dark-hiding-fellow-scoundrels with intestines?

Aahhhwel, back to the toothfairy-chick RRRRRRR!

7. salesman

salesman Minimodder

You should try system shock 2 again, that game doesn't jump to scare you it just shows you that you are about to die and for me it really freaks me out.

8. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Personally I thought D3 was the absolute shizzle, but I'm pretty sure everyone knows that by now.

However, I would say that it could have been one hell of a lot better, there were many, many things it missed out on that it could have included. I think the only reason I enjoyed it so much was that I made absolutely damn sure I enjoyed it. Never played it during daylight, never in company, always in the dark with the sound turned up. I made sure I got totally immersed in the game, and as such I thought it was brilliant.

On the other hand, I know Joe didn't think much of it when he first started playing it, but I discovered he did in the middle of the day, on a PC that could barely handle it, whilst next to him his younger sister played Monkey Island 2, and he kept stopping to help her out. If there was any a situation that was going to totally ruin the experience, that was it. A lot of your experience of a game depends on how you approach playing the game in the real world.

9. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Forget Doom III, I have seen a ID tech demo a looooong while ago of a new ID engine and that was amazing and then it went silent....

10. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

I didn't mind doom 3, I had a lot of fun playing through it. I'm not sure what people were expecting, some crazy revolution in FPS gaming or something? I didn't get ultra hyped about it, and just played it for what it was. That is to say, it was creepy and you got to blow away monsters with a bunch of guns, I wasn't really expecting anything else. Anyway played it through on a ti4200, still ran decent and looked pretty good.

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It wasn't a bad game.

It was just pitch black so often that it just felt like one gray, uninspiring hallway followed by a mustard yellow hallway, then some more gray. Duct-tape mod made this easier to deal with, but eh. Should that really have been a mod rather than something that was there from the get-go?

12. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

No. No. No. The duct-tape mod totally pissed all over one of the main gameplay points of the game. Light or firepower, but not both, that's the choice. By combining the two you utterly undermined half the excitement of the game. It always has annoyed me when people admit they've only ever played the game with the duct-tape mod.

13. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Cough

Fanboy

Cough.

14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Bauul at least understands the concept behind why you couldnt have both, you just strike me as a ****.

go back to halo numbnuts, pc games are not for you.

Last edited by a moderator: 9 Jul 2008
  15. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

:O

Easy there tiger - I was merely poking fun at Ben. PC gamers are very much my bread and butter. Ben's just lucky I didn't remind everyone of the time I beat him 50 frags to none in a epic match of Doom 3, back before he learnt all my moves through the co-op mod.

Personally, I too can see the reason behind the choice id was presenting. I can see it, understand it and appreciate it on paper. However, that doesn't make it great game design straight off the bat and the reality was that it annoyed far, far more players than it should of because you spent half the time switching between the two. It's the same complaint people make about Oblivion - it shouldn't require a player mod to make the game accessible and enjoyable to 90 percent of the players.

That said, I didn't mind the flashlight thing so much. I was more critical of the vastly disappointing weapons and the obvious padding that meant the game was essentially four times longer than it needed to be.

And they had such a good game planned - RPG elements, level hubs, the works. Shame really.

16. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I really enjoyed Doom 3 when I started playing it, not having really read anything about it, the first section of the game was great, at the start it looked like it was going to be a really cool FPS-RPG. Unfortunately that didn't last too long and after a while of exploring the base, the **** hits the fan. Although I still liked it for quite a few hours of play after that, I really liked the whole flashlight or pistol thing, made it more tense. But after a while, when more and more zombie closets appeared, I stopped playing, the first few hours were great, then after that it was pretty poor.

17. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

I didn't think it was that bad and enjoyed it.
    It did lose the flow later in the game, but I still played through it.

18. evanbraakensiek

evanbraakensiek What's a Dremel?

Thanks to the Doom 3 engine (I couldn't honestly care about the game itself) you ruined two of the best franchises you've ever created - Quake (4) and Enemy Territory (Quake Wars). So yeah, Doom 3 was awesome.

19. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

I noticed pretty quickly that the bulk of the monsters only spawned when you entered a room, so my playing went something like this:

Aproach the next doorway till it opens.
    Flick on the torch and examine where the walls/doors/ammo/health in the next room are, flick torch back off.
    Enter room, spinning to face lights/glowing things/noises that have now appeared from likely places.
    Shoot monster(s).
    Repeat (for 6-8 hours?)

While I've played worse, it did feel very repetitive and predictable and wasn't particularly scary, maybe a 5/10 or 6/10 overall game if I had to score it. (and an 8/10 for the engine, which would have been 9 or 9.5 if it could do believeable hair and/or more than what one light source at a time so they didn't need to cheat with light painted onto the floor in places?)

20. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Has anyone read the 'making-of' book for Doom? They have a bit of a backstory on the lack of lights. Originally, the game was a lot brighter, but just before it was finished, they went and basically broke about half of the lights in the game to make it more 'atmospheric'. I'm not quoting this out of the book or anything, this is based on memory.. I thought Doom was pretty cool, actually. The whole vision vs. firepower thing was a core part of the game, using the mods basically makes it just a generic shooter.

Tags: Add Tags