1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Amateur's first mod

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nicolee, 9 Jul 2008.

1. Nicolee

Nicolee Kastom Youzer Title

Hello there.This is my first mod i really hope it will be successful.As i mentioned before i am an amateur so i will you the pictures and you tell me your own ideas and problems that you believe will appear later. I have already planned it inside my head but i believe that sometimes 'team work' makes the difference. I will begin late i am waiting for the PSU to be discharged from deadly volts.

The hardware is very old: Athlon 64 3500+ venice Asrock 939NF6G-VSTA 1 GB of ram Kingston Ati Radeon x1600 pro a samsung 120GB hard drive

and a dvd rom and a wireless internet card.

Pics:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] If you want more detailed pics tell me.

I will buy http://www.e-shop.gr/show_per.phtml?id=PER.805123 x 4.they will be 2 on each site to create airflow.the problem is that my mobo has only a 3 pin connector.Any ideas?

Next http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/539020/art/cooler-master/riser-card-pci-e-graphics.html for the graphics card.

The whole case inside out will be painted with electrostatic car dark black paint ( if i can find and afford it ). I will create a holder for the hard drive

The usb and the other external conenction will be put in the back right of the dvd the rams will be located in the front just a few milimetres from the 4 buttons.

The DVD rom will be put in the middle there is already a slot if needed i will enlarge it a bit.

The upper cover of the DVD i am thinking of making it openable for practical reasons so i can open it whenever i want. Just like a cars machine

Last edited: 9 Jul 2008
  2. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

May I suggest adding [​IMG]

3. Nicolee

Thamks Langer.

4. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

And perhaps some better lighting.. Some of your photo's are just too darn dark too see... Otherwise... Mod on..

5. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

4-way fan controllers?
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/138706 is the cheapest one I can find for the UK, not sure about if you live anywhere else

I'm going to keep an eye on this, because as of yet I still haven't moddeed anything myself successfully:)

6. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

You need to invest in some canned air!! :D

And it may be time for a total system overhaul, depending on what you use it for.

7. Nicolee

damn i did a sketch yesterday and there is a problem.A huge one. The height of the DVD is en gross 6 CM and the riser i found is like 2 cm taller

8. Nicolee

more over the Wireless internet card is next to my graphics card but first so it is an obstacle.Maybe i could do the wireless card external? But how Help much appreciated.Thx!

9. dragon2309

dragon2309 techie

that is quite a big issue.... perhaps you need to rethink what case you are putting these components into... maybe a different model DVD palyer thats a bit taller, or perhaps an old VCR player for a slightly retro-ish look

you can get USB wireless adapters, thats not a problem

10. Nicolee

Are you sure about the USB ? i will not have issues? MAN! if it is all fine with USB then i will just buy a single slot pci-e x 16 riser and everything is fine!!!. YOU SAVED ME !!!!! Bless you.

11. Nicolee

now there is only one problem. do you know what material can i find to fill in the holes from the buttons i wont need and paint over it so nothing is visible?

I have another idea as well i buy an aggresive looking Fan + headsink like this for example :) http://www.e-shop.gr/show_per.phtml?id=PER.911011 and this will be exceeding the case by opening a adapting hole so it will be reminding those sport cars ;) What do you say! If you have any any ideas don't hesitate feel free.!!!!!

12. Nicolee

Tommorow i will provide you with much better pictures. I changed the riser card with a golden flexible one.I ordered the USB internet device.All slots for the case will be ready. The 2 fans linked above are on the way.I am only waiting for some money and the Heatsink+fan to continue.

I am sorry i haven't commenced.You might consider " Lol that's a mod?" but i prefer waiting to assemble all the materials needed so that in the proccess everything goes smoothly without delays.

P.S i might use only one case fan above the rest of the motherboard. If i redo the design i will make space for a HDD cooler but is the hdd cooling really neccessary? I hope this whole crafting won't be hot :s

As usual say anything you want to say about it.

13. Nicolee

any ideas on making the dvd rom thinner?

14. perkins teh modder

perkins teh modder What's a Dremel?

ive got one!

buy a thinner dvd drive

15. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

slot load / slim dvd drive?

16. Nicolee

Monday is the big day. The holes for the mobo and usbs will be opened and maybe maybe the case will be painted with super darkened black paint ( electrostatic ). Sorry for not giving new pictures as promised but they stole my cell phone :s in 1-2 days i will have a replacement.

if i put neon or something like that will the temperature rise a lot?

17. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I don't think so, but be subtle with where you put them. My first case i just threw em at the tom and bottom and they were too bright, overpowering and after a while i didn't like them anymore. Then again i had the 12 inch ones, not the smaller ones.

18. Nicolee

in fact i might not even put a dvd rom drove cos i have it for 5 years and it is unlikely that i used it more than...30 times. When i collect more money i'll buy an external one just in case.

19. Nicolee

20. Nicolee

No comment about the pink wall -_-' it is my sister's room.

I hope these pics are much more clear.

Tags: