1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Updating DSL phone cable

Discussion in 'Modding' started by sui_winbolo, 11 Jul 2008.

1. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

For awhile I wanted to move the clutter of our DSL modem, d-link switch and access point from my mom's computer area. Just because it's such a small space for anything. And I do plan on buying an a Cisco switch, router, and network rack so that I can brush up on Cisco IOS commands.

Anyways the cabling in this house is pretty old. I tried looking for phone line that goes upstairs to our kitchen area where my mom's computer sits. Well, I was about to give up on that idea and just wait until tomorrow when I could borrow my college's telephone probe to find the cable. But than I got to thinking, why not just add another cable to the DSL network interface device?

So I ran up to Walmart and got 50 feet of telephone cable and a modular jack to put up in my room.

Here's the NID (network interface device)
    [​IMG]

The white cable is the one I spliced in. And an interesting things about NIDs, there's two sections inside the box. The one that you see is the section that we're responsible for. The other side is the telephone company's responsibility. Anything that fails on their side is paid for. Anything that fails on our side we have to pay for.

A close up of where I spliced in the cable

[​IMG]

You can see two regular phone jacks, the left one is where the main line from outside connects to, the right one is a piggy back for the phones. I found this out by simply connecting my modem directly to each jack. That's how I figured out where I needed to splice in my cable.

Wiring up the modular jack that mounts onto my wall. I only need to use the red and green wire since that's all that is connected in the NID.
    [​IMG]

Here it is mounted to my wall. I came up through the same hole that my cable television comes through for an even easier installation.

[​IMG]

An added benefit to this project was that it has helped my DSL speed quite a bit. I knew it would speed up my connection a little bit, but to my surprise I went from getting 900Kbps average to a 1400Kbps average download speed. For only about $15, Id' say this was a good investment.

:clap:

2. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

Thats awesome, did you get the better speeds simply because its newer, and probably better, cable?

3. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

wish they would run dsl, or any thing to my house get 23kbs-46kbs.

4. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

I just use cat-5e for everything. It really helps out with older houses. Who knows where that line is going, and how many times it's been spliced. At one place I used to own, the phone line just made one big loop around the house. It got spliced and extended at every outlet. For phone, that's really not a big deal, but now that we're pushing data over them, it's best to have a dedicated line just for the modem.

5. lost_modder

lost_modder What's a Dremel?

good job sui_winbolo! It's always nice to get everything where it's needed, not where it "landed". haha

@ barry99705 yea cat5 is nice. we needed 4 new lines at the office, so I ran one length of cat5 & punched 4 jacks on it.

6. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Yeah, basically. That copper in the other cable has to be 20+ years old at least. It's just wasn't designed for high speed data to be carried over it.

Thanks for all the replies! :clap:

I'm happy it went so smoothly.

7. DESTroyed22

DESTroyed22 PC User For Life

I think im missing something...... wheres the pics.... argh.... I miss out on the fun hehe, jp any chance of fixing the pics im crious to see the wiring....... thanks!!

8. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

My webhost went down today for some reason. It should be back up tomorrow. Hopefully. Hang tight!

9. DESTroyed22

DESTroyed22 PC User For Life

YAY ITS UP lol nice work and weird looking box lol.

10. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

??? It looks just like the one hanging on the side of my house.