1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Rogue (NZXT Rogue SFF) It lives! Aug 13, '08

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigbru, 28 Feb 2008.

1. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Thanks guys!

Believe it or not, they could have been even a little shorter! I left them a little longer than what was needed. The cables literally drop from the PSU right into the video cards.

2. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

looks awesome craig and loving the new basement :thumb:

3. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

The mini cables look...cute? :D Nice work though, seriously

4. craigbru

Thank you! It's kind of funny to look back and see where I started, on both projects. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel on both!

I never thought a cable could be called cute... but on this forum it makes perfect sense... :D

Well, work continued on the Rogue last night, but if I were to take pictures of my 'progress', you would think I was crazy. The case now sits completely naked on my counter. Yep, the case is completely disassembled right now. In order to fix the problem with the USB hub, I had to get back under the motherboard tray. That pretty much meant everything had to come out anyway. I also needed to remove the front of the case to fix the non-working LED on the fan controller. While apart, I've decided to make a modification to the area above the PCI slots. Right now, getting video cards in and out, is a convoluted affair. A little dremel work can simplify the whole process. I know things are tight in this case, but I want it to be relatively easy to work on. I don't want to pull apart the entire case, just to swap a video card. After the dremel work, the case will get another shiny new coat of paint baked on.

After the paint, I'll start the reassembly. I've got a few changes in store there as well. The case wiring is getting modified and streamlined. I am doing away with almost all the spade connectors under the motherboard tray, and will be switching to terminal strips. This should clean up the clutter significantly. I am also switching to a 'flag' style spade connector for the switches on the rear of the case. This will take care of a few clearance problems, and make future maintenance much easier.

Other small changes include; adding a small fan to the chipset 'Circu-pipe' for better cooling while overclocked, adding aluminum spacer tubing to cover the fan bolts on top of the case, and wiring the front LCD in to the VIA's power (duh :duh:).

So, why is the above completely crazy? Well, I'm now officially heading to Nvision 2008 in San Jose, CA, at the end of August. It should be the premier of the completely finished Rogue. I'm leaving for Mexico on the 15th of August, so that leaves me less than a month to finish up every last detail on this case, and ship it to Johnny at NZXT before I leave. Oh, and in the meantime, I have to finalize all the wedding reception plans... Things are gonna get crazy around here!

5. craigbru

Instead of real progress, I've got just a boring text update here... I've repainted to Rogue's frame, and have started reassembly. This is the final assembly, and things are looking better than ever. I'm focusing even more on the small details, and documenting every step. In fact, I'm taking a pic with every new component added. When completed, I'll throw together a slideshow of the assembly process. I know I've been working on this project since late last year, and although you've seen plenty of modding since then, I thought it would be interesting to see it assembled from scratch. The biggest change I'm making, will be with the wiring. I'm cleaning it up, and doing a little rerouting. Technically it was fine before, and 90% of it was already hidden... but I can't help myself. I can do better! Fun times ahead!

6. Multiplectic

Multiplectic His Stigness

I can't wait to see it!! :D

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

yay, this is want i want to see!

8. nikeunltd

nikeunltd Epic destruction around machinary

woo foo Cheesecake!

9. nikeunltd

?? Cheesecake=Cheesecake?

10. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

yes, Cheesecake is in fact cheesecake. except when its not cheesecake.

Keep the good work up Craig :)

11. nikeunltd

f.t.w is cheese cake!!! whhhatTT!!

12. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

Damn you craig! Now you've got me chomping at the bit to see this thing! You better give your camera a healthy workout :hehe:

13. nickhelton

nickhelton What's a Dremel?

Wow that was a long project log. took me bout an hour and a half :jawdrop: lol.
    WELL worth it. AMAZING mod. i love this rig.

14. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

Excellent stuff! :rock:

Congratulations on the wedding and I hope everything goes swimmingly!

Best wishes and I look forward to your updates! Oh, d'you still post on Sudhian/SFFTech much?

15. craigbru

You guys are killing me with all this cheesecake talk... I'm sitting here at my desk, and I'm hungry, and I'm thinking to myself... "Why the hell isn't there a cheesecake cereal?" I mean, they've had cereal based on donuts, cookies, and ice cream cones... why not cheesecake??

I'm still snapping away man!

Thanks for taking the time to read it!

Thanks man! I should have 'real' updates next week. I'm almost done with the reassembly, and will be moving on to the elusive front door...

I do still post on Sudhian. I post news when I have time, and I'm now a moderator there. :D

16. skullen

skullen Minimodder

Nice one craigbru,looking forward to the pics :thumb:

17. Nolimited

Nolimited What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop::jawdrop:i have no word when i see the basements and the mod keep it up man :thumb:

18. nikeunltd

LOL i was trying to write f.t.w (with out the periods) but it somehow automatically changes to cheesecake!! LOL

how are things? you were mia for a while

19. Elio

Elio What's a Dremel?

Congratulations! on the upcoming wedding! (will you build the chruch too?)
    the mini-cables are great.great work on them.
    if i had to take that case apart the times you have ,i woud have probably throw it away after the second time...so unbelievable work!!!!!
    Cant wait to see the final result. you have been toying with us...showing us all the pictures,we know you just mod it more.
    you realy cant stop....so good luck finishing the case.
    goodluck with wedding and all.
    and goodluck at Nvision 2008!!!
    Amazing case and amzing work!!!

20. bentleya

bentleya Lian Li Snail :)

this is pure Cheesecake

Tags: