1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Legacy of Khufu .Done on page:10.Speakers Done page:11!. 17-07-08

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by TapperSwe, 11 Feb 2007.

?

which picture to use for backside fanguard

Poll closed 17 Mar 2007.
  1. pic one: scarab

100.0%
  2. pic two: Cobra

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. pic three: crocodile/king Sobek

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Man, that is one killer looking rig. And being an Egyptian lover myself, I can appreciate the content. Let alone the quality of work you put into it. One top-notch mod, bro! :clap:

2. TapperSwe

TapperSwe What's a Dremel?

Thank you! Yeah i have noticed your avatar,have you travel to Egypt? i would love to go there and im going to try to travel there this summer.

Regards.

Last edited: 30 Mar 2008
  3. Gup

Gup What's a Dremel?

Damn good work TapperSwe!!........:D
    Good to see you finally finished it. It looks awesome...!!.....
    As already mentioned before you prolly will look at it even more as an art object then being a (HT)PC....:thumb:
    If you ever start a new project ....i can give you 1 tip..............stay away from pyramid shapes its a pain in the ***.....:D

Getting ur girlfriend involved is a pretty smart move.......i did the same and that works...:D

4. TapperSwe

Gup:
    TY!.I know that you are struggling with the pyramid shape to :D,how is it going by the way?,i really like the mechanical door on it.
    Im actually already working with a new project building speakers in the same theme as the case,and they will not be pyramid shaped,but ive seen pyramid shaped speakers on the net and they looked pretty cool.
    So you managed to involve your lady to ,good for you :thumb:

Regards.

Last edited: 31 Mar 2008
  5. Gup

Gup What's a Dremel?

A bit on hold as i am waiting for material to arrive. Ordered some styrene plates 2 months ago and they still didn't arrive. Also replacing the coloured foil with more light resisting foil so it won't deteriorate (i won't take the risk that after 1 year i have a white pyramid instead of a coloured one....:eeek:) And the mobo died once again, so again i got a replacement.

I hope you start a worklog, would love to see it..:dremel:

Yeah, she does the design parts.........and she is good at it...:rock:

6. TapperSwe

Wow im guessing fast delivery aint that companys headmark.Sounds like a good idea i wouldent want my case to change color either if it had any :D.you must have been very unlucky to have two mobos that died.

I dont think i will start a workloog since i dont think that its to much of a build but i will for sure post it here when its done also with som pictures from the building process.

Yeah you can tell your lady that i agree on that one. I will keep my eyes open for updates on your build.

Regards.

Last edited: 16 May 2008
  7. TapperSwe

A guy in a swedish modforum told me that the front looked messy so i removed the sign and took a good look at it and i came to the conclusion that i agree with him so i removed the sign (a good 12 houers of work) and placed the led behind the fangril (horus) instead what do you think? i think it looks much better/cleaner.(also aded new night pics).All the pics still in page 10.

Regards.

Last edited: 4 Apr 2008
  8. E.E.L. Ambiense

Either way looks fine to me personally, but I do dig this way more! Niiiiice...

9. Gup

Gup What's a Dremel?

It looks more slick this way i think (less is better)........i think alot had to do with mixing shapes: triangle versus square......but beware that you dont keep changing....!!....:naughty:

10. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Perhaps it was the mixing of shapes but I also felt that the sign didn't quite match the quality and style of the rest of your design. (It was too 2D on a 3D shape). It does look better (cleaner, smoother) without the sign. :thumb: good call.

11. TapperSwe

TY,i do to.

More slick was the word i was looking for,also less is more..i was always a bit doubtfull about the signs shape and was concidering doing it round but i thougt it might look weird with the fangrill being round shaped to,but in the other hand the square shape dident look so nice either.No i will not change anything else exept i might change the led behind Horus.

Thx, I agree.That only convinced me more that i did the right thing by removing it,i might put it on the wall behind the case instead.Im also thinking of exchanging the blue led for a yelow one to represent the sun above Horus head.

Regards.

Last edited: 4 Apr 2008
  12. TapperSwe

Hi! I told Gup that i was not going to start a worklog of the speakers that im building,i will however do it in 2 uppdates since i want the final pics to be separated from the smal worklog that i ended up doing :D.
    At first i was not sure on how i would build the speakers other then that it had to fit the pyramid /egypt theme, i later read that al pyramids at giza had there own temple so that is what i did.

This time im going to use wood and aluminium,i cant recall ever have working with wood so there is probably beter ways then mine to joint the wood toghter and so on (i dont even know what wood im using LOL),but im quite happy with the result so far (its not 100% finished). I also did this build almoust without any plans and thats realy scary for a control freak like me :D .

Ok lets get started:
    [​IMG]

A few houers later i got this:
    [​IMG]

Top:
    [​IMG]

With aluminium front and base:
    [​IMG]

I used a broomstick to create the pillars (im not building ewerything from scratch this time since i want to enjoy this summer :) )
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some more details:
    [​IMG]

shaped:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There will be more details on the sides when im done:
    [​IMG]

And for the speaker holes i took an old baking sheet in aluminium that was in a realy bad shape (im a chef remember :D )
    [​IMG]

Eleven different wetsanding sheets later (from 240 to 2500 grit) i got this nice surface ready to be polished:
    [​IMG]

polished with 2 diffrent compounds:
    [​IMG]

Its a reall nice mirror finish but its a bit hard to see with al the holes:
    [​IMG]

And here is a shoot with a tie-pin that i make a few weeks ago:
    [​IMG]

Whats left to do is some detailing on the sides in wood and on the front in brass, not sure what it will be yet maybe a scarabe in the middle of the speaker holes, i will also polish the front,sand down the wood for a nicer surface and make holes for the buttons and volume control.

Thanks for watching coments or inputs are of corse appreciated.

Last edited: 16 May 2008
  13. Gup

Gup What's a Dremel?

That looks nice!!.............:D
    Sanding must be a hobby for you ....:D

Details on the side poles perhaps (egyption marks or something)
    You aren't afraid of sound distortion if u use that mesh?
    Keep us posted..!!

14. Farmboy UK

Farmboy UK Hungry for knowledge

Never seen this mod before being a newbie. Very stunning case.

15. TapperSwe

Thanks m8!

Lol i realy hate sanding at this time.
    Sounds like a nice idea,i will think about that.
    Yeah it might sound funny with the mesh, but the speakers are pretty small so im hope for the best :D ,otherwise i will have to come up with a new solution

Last edited: 20 May 2008
  16. TapperSwe

Hi everyone! So the speakears are now complete and this is the result.

I used brass to make a golden door with symbols of the 4 elements,brass is harder to grit then aluminium but it turns out really nice when polished:

Before sanding:

[​IMG]

12 papers later,even unpolished it has a pretty nice reflecting surface:

[​IMG]

The sun is going to be a symbol for fire,its a 0,5cm thick plexi with one 5 mm led under to light it up:

[​IMG]

polished,yes im a bold guy :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im not realy sure but ive seen this egyptsymbol long time ago (under the sun) and im most sure it represents wind but i can be wrong:

[​IMG]

The other 2 symbols are water and one i came up with myself (i think) is the one representing earth down at the botom:

[​IMG]

I let the pics speak from here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a plan for the cords but will do that some other time.The sound is not being affected by the mesch thank good.

Thanks for watching,have a nice weekend....

17. E.E.L. Ambiense

That's awesome, man! Gorgeous work.

18. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

Yep, good work.

19. Khensu

Khensu likes to touch your special places

I'm joining the awesome crowd. That is some very, very nice work!

20. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Very unusual and beautiful., :clap:
    Great work tapper. :thumb: