1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Top 10 Computer Game NPCs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Hiren, 18 Jul 2008.

1. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Or the companion cube. Try to end Portal without its help.:p

2. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

where's Atrus from the Myst series? he always made me feel like i was visiting an old friend for tea and biscuits

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

agree, Kane would be my no1.

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

GlaDOS offered Cake and then denied it, therefore she's not nice.

5. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

Three important games are missing from this list, I think:

1. Star Wars: KOTOR. Darth Malek was one of the best villains ever, and HK-47 was patently hilarious.

2. Max Payne 2. Mona was a superb supporting character, well presented, and whose relationship with Max is fabulously complex. Not to mention the pain or elation of the two possible game endings.

3. Mass Effect. Saren was a very well written antagonist - a hero/villain who bit off more than he could chew, and had to see things through to the bitter end.

Last edited: 18 Jul 2008
  6. pimlicosound

But the cake was real! The Companion Cube got some, but I didn't, because of my mistrust and rebellion. Makes me sad.

7. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

Kane isn't nice, many of them arn't nice.
    I'm sorry but I find Alyx actually a rather poor shallow character and can't get why everybody thinks she's so great. GlaDOS beats her let alone the mighty SHODAN.

8. Major

Major Guest

Hmm @ Alyx, she might be fit, but she is no way #1 :)

9. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

there were two endings? oh god i'm gonna hafta go back and replay this again...shame on me

10. pimlicosound

You have to beat the final stager *very* quickly. The resulting ending will lift your spirits.

Tip: if you just want to get the ending, use some cheats to rush the level!

11. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Kane is number 1. ;) I agree that Darth Malak would probably feature in my top five too... if not him, then HK-47. That droid rocked. :hehe:

12. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

ok ok

GLADOS? how the hell isn't she/it on there?!
    And why isn't the most bad ass mo-fo of them all, Sephiroth?
    And Navi was definately worth a mention

13. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Actually, valid point. It can't even be said that it wasn't on the PC, as both VII and VIII have PC ports. And if the excuse 'it's a port' is used... then Bioshock shouldn't be on there either, as that smacked of console port too.

14. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

They both almost got a mention actually and Mona was on the list until the last minute, as was HK-47.

15. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Could have guessed she'd get first place. Shame. I'm not a fan. It's just too obvious. She's not even pretty.

16. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Dear mister CardJoe,

I can't believe you forgot MORTE from Planescape: Torment! Morte is the most hilarious companion in a RPG EVER!
    He is ur guide as you awake on the mortuary, a simple floating skull. Some quotes from the other disenbodied fellow:

"Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... "

"Nordom: Attention; Morte. I have a question. Do you have a destiny? A purpose?
    Morte: Is Annah still wearing clothes?
    Nordom: Affirmatory.
    Morte: Then the answer is yes.
    "

"Morte: Hey Nordom, knock-knock.
    Nordom: Why do you persist in addressing me as a door?
    Morte: It's a joke, you stupid polygon! You're supposed to answer "Who's there?"
    Nordom: I know who is there. It is you. Why would I ask a question when I already know the answer?
    Morte: Just forget it.
    "

"C'mon, Chief! We're in a building with some of the sexiest chits this side of the multiverse, and you're stopping to talk to *modrons*? "

"Oh sure. I'll just swing it with my arms." (When trying to equip him with any weapons. Remember, he is just a skull)

"Come on! Let's shake a leg... Well... YOU shake a leg..."

"We should get some female zombies to join our party, right chief?"

"I am both happy and miserable, without the happy part!"

"Graaaace... you wanna put ME in your inventory?" (Fall-from-grace, or just Grace, is an angel that joins your party)

"This place is locked up tighter than a chastity belt!" - My favorite. He say that when you're trying to scape the first level of the game.

"That beauty sleep didn't help much." - When Nameless One awakens after being killed. The main goal in the game is to discover a "cure" to your immortality. Everytime u die, (in the plot, not in the game) u arise without memories and with a different personality.

Ravel: Life swallowed you and spit you out!
    Morte: It swallowed him, but I don't know if he came out of THAT end!

Remember that it is morte that first read "the nameless one's" back to give him the first directions. As he can't use any weapons, you equip him with "teeth"

For RPGyers: you may have played Mass Effect, Oblivion, FallOut, Ultima (my favorite) and even Baldurs Gate. But NO GAME IN THE WORLD has a better history than Planescape: Torment! There's a .PDF (or .DOC) in the internet arranged so that the whole plot of the game is written as a book. Not as good as playing the game, but a nice start.

And you all can wiki it. It worths the shot :D

17. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I have to play more PC games...

I don't know half of these characters...

18. Jordan Wise

i didn't know it was just pc games. And for all you lot saying Mona Sax- she was a playable character, and so doesn't qualify

19. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Am I the only person who has never heard of Kane?

I'd agree with yemerich that Morte seems a good candidate. And another vote for Barney and GlaDOS.

Also I don't see how you could miss Liara from Mass Effect - it's the least she deserves for putting out for us.

Edit:
    Also, what about a list of the Top 10 most pointless, useless and unfulfilling NPCs. Mass Effect has Navigator Pressly and Doctor Chakwas who are available to talk to the entire game but have sweet FA to say to you beyond the first conversation.

Last edited: 18 Jul 2008
  20. Jordan Wise

yes.... yes you are

Tags: Add Tags