1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The first Watchmen trailer hits!!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by johnnyboy700, 17 Jul 2008.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Looking good. I wonder of the film will be as complex as the story... Hollywood has an inevitable penchant for dumbing down to appeal to the largest audience.

2. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I would doubt it considering they'd need to make a whole series of movies to even vaguely do it justice.

That looks pretty promising tbh, a lot better than I had expected. Rorschach and Dr. Manhattan looked spot on to me, no liberties taken so far (a la League of E.G).

3. Snaek

Snaek What's a Dremel?

Saw this before The Dark Knight. Looks pretty good. I'd probably be more interested if I'd actually read the graphic novel, but I didn't really know what was going on in the trailer.

4. K

K 528491

It actually looks pretty good. I'm quite shocked in fact. I don't think I'd care if it was an awful film because, hey, the comic's so good you'd just go read it again or whatever. But it does actually look pretty spot on. There are so many scenes shown that are frame for frame what I'd envisaged on screen. For example the origin of Dr. Manhattan and The Comedian going through the window. Looks very promising.

5. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

The trailer does somewhat tell you who the murderer is though, if your quick and haven't read the book that could be a bit of a spoiler.

Did anyone think that Rorschach's voice didn't seem quite right, not monotone enough and a little too much "superhero growl" in it?

Still looks very, very promising.

/giggles like a schoolboy.

6. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Read my way to the last chapter in Watchmen so far and loving it. Keep re-watching the trailer and seeing frame for frame copies of the novel, it's pretty obvious that Snyder has been using the book as the storyboard for the film. Can't wait :D

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Yay! Go Smashing Pumpkins backing music!

8. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Just in case people hadn't noticed, the theatrical trailer has hit the interwebs.

It's still looking good, although I can't work out where the
    nuclear explosion
    comes from. Also, Rorschach's mask doesn't move as much as it should...

Still, only 4 months to wait till it hits the cinema.

9. alastor

alastor Minimodder

removed in case anyone looks :p

EDIT:
    Oh that explosion, that's in Dan Dreiberg's dream while he's on the sofa with Laurie.

Last edited: 14 Nov 2008
  10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It moves enough, it's meant to be a sutble movement because it reacts to changes in pressure and heat
    since it was originally a part of an evening gown

I cannot wait for this movie. Really. It's gonna be epic.

11. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Still looking enjoyable. Yay for the Muse tune making it into the new trailer :D

12. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

has anyone heard about the fact Snyder has changed the end of the story? :eyebrow:

The constructed alien menace that Viedt teleports into NY has been cut from the film!

LINKS CONTAIN SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE GRAPHIC NOVEL, OR HAVEN'T FINSHED IT YET!

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/11/director-confir.html
    http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/30/how-zack-snyder-just-barely-got-watchmen-to-the-screen/

Why? I'd have tought that it's a fairly large and important part of the story, as it's due to this that previous events have happened...

Hurm.

13. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

WTF! I seriously dont see how they can end it any better?

14. alastor

alastor Minimodder

I'll be pretty shocked if they really have done that, the story won't make much sense without it.

Damn sensitive people not being able to cope with a fictional terrorist attack on NYC. :sigh:

15. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Snyder makes a decent case in the second article GOO linked:

The squid is a macGuffin - its role can be filled with anything that's teleportable from Antarctica to New York, can convince the world that it's quite possibly under alien attack, and kill enough people in the process to be morally questionable.

Which would you chose? The squid or Rorschach's interviews with the shrink?

I agree that any change is unfortunate, but seeing that Snyder said
    "The squid was not in the movie when I got the script, the squid was never in any draft that I saw."
    , and there have been shots of filming of
    Dr Manhattan and Laurie in the ruins of New York
    , the ending looks like it will remain thematically the same.

After all, the
    squid
    isn't the end or the point of the comic. The point is
    Adrian manipulating the rest of the heroes into compromising their morals to save humanity from itself.

Last edited: 4 Feb 2009
  16. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

There have been some changes from the graphic novel, somethings you simply can't get away with on screen - primarly example is Ossie's costume. In the novel it appears to be gold armour but the shots I've seen look very dark coloured and I think it looks better. There are a number of other changes that I have to admit do seem to be quite a dramatic departure but I'm willing to have faith and put my trust in ZS to produce a good film.

I also read that the parallel story of the pirate tale will not be in the cinema release but will be in the DVD/Blu Ray release. I can see that it might be confusing to your average cinema punter to have both stories running together so I have to have faith in this one as well.

I guess we'll find out in about five weeks.

17. GreatOldOne

18. GreatOldOne

Well, we've had the premier, and the reviews are favourable so far:

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/watchmen/

Although the reviewer from the News of the World obviously thought he was going to see Batman & Robin, and didn't understand it at all. I think this comment from RT member ZeroCorpse sums up the NotW review nicely:

:lol:

19. K

K 528491

Cool to see some really positive reviews coming in. I'm still going to see it with no high expectations whatsoever, but it'd be nice if I was a genuinely decent film. As long as it tells the same story I can't see how it'd be too hard to enjoy.

Shame it's not on at the IMAX in Birmingham :(

20. dom_

dom_ --->

IMax tickets booked for london \o/

Tags: