1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Anyone else waiting for the MacBook Pro refresh?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ArtificialHero, 22 Jul 2008.

1. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Hey all,

I've been on the point of replacing my aging Powerbook with a MacBook Pro for a while now, and with all the signs pointing to an imminent update (maybe even with a sexy new case design), I've decided to hold on and wait for the new one. My determination to wait is probably something to do with the fact that I bought my PowerBook in October of 05, about 4 months before the first MacBook Pros were released. Very frustrating to have the perceived value of your £1500 purchase be destroyed by the same company that sold you it mere months ago saying "here's our new product, it's 4x faster than that stupid old product we used to sell". Not up for that happening again, so I'm waiting for a significant update before I buy.

Anyone else in the same boat?
    Mike

2. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

there is a website somewhere that works with rumours and speculation to decide when a good time is to buy a mac. when i got mine a year ago they had just revised the MBP so i snapped it up then. mine's still on the apple website as top of the range! with apple products it's worth the wait imho. they're so bloody expensive in many respects and you really don't wanna go through the anguish you suffered with your powerbook again do you!? apple revisions tend to be quite significant. maybe this time they'll have more than 3 usb ports and an SD card reader. like every other laptop that was made years before it.

3. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

4. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

although the site states neutral, i'd still suggest waiting for the next revision, unless you're really that dseperate.

5. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I just got mine 3 months ago, after the most recent refresh. New LED screen and faster chip. I would be surprised if there was another so soon. I doubt that Apple's product cycle is that fast. Seriously, what big leap are you expecting? any new revision will only be a small move in chip speeds or graphics. Unless I missed a massive tech shift in the market. They already have pr-N wireless, LED screens, 64 bit cpus, big and/or fast HDDs, excellent Firewire, USB 2.0, solid graphics.....

SSDs would be the only leap, and the price point isn't ready yet. And maybe quad core.

Last edited: 22 Jul 2008
  6. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Or Nehalem in the autumn...

7. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

For desktops=Q3 2008. Mobile chips, Clarksfield and Auburndale, aren't expected until Q3 2009 - hitting the market by Q4 2009/Q1 2010. That is over a year away, IMO hardly worth the wait when you could have a great 17" MBP, now.

8. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

If you can wait, wait for the next refresh. If you need it now then you'll still be buying a great machine.

I guess it's all down to how long can you play the waiting game and how urgently you need the machine?

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Indeed. If you need it, get it. Upgrade cycles aren't going to stop just so you have the latest and greatest for X time period, and when upgrades come, it doesn't lower the specs of what you're using. If you're so concerned with having the best, then you should stay away from products that have such frequent upgrade cycles :p

10. ArtificialHero

11. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

Don't want to throw gasoline on the fire, or extra angst on the purchase decision - but Intel just announced that they will be coming out with quad core mobile processors early next year. Apple needs something definitive to differentiate the MBP from the MB besides just screen size, GPU that most buyers don't care about, and an expresscard slot that almost no one cares about...

I would imagine quad core Macbook Pros will be here a little after the christmas shopping season. (It kills me too - I just bought a new MBP less than a month ago. :( )

Anyway - any MBP is a great machine that will serve you well and do what you need it to do. If you buy now, you will have a macbook pro now and will be able to start using it right away instead of having to wait.....

12. ArtificialHero

I'm going to wait as long as I can - I don't need it until the MSc starts, so I may as well wait for the refresh, which apparently is extemely likely to happen before the end of september.

AH

13. exavier412

exavier412 What's a Dremel?

I'm holding off for the next revision too. its funny, I'm also using a Powerbook from Oct '05. And what's even more interesting, is I haven't really seen the need HUGELY for a new computer (apart from the geek inside of me) until I just returned from Europe and tried to upload 3000 pictures into iPhoto. I still cant open iPhoto without it freezing now. Too bad.

I also wouldnt mind a case revision, although I think they are the best looking laptops around. So, maybe just something new/cool would be nice. I can't think of what though. That's Apple's job.

And running windows for Red Alert would just make me smile.

14. RTT

RTT #parp

also waiting for the refresh :) want a new macbook

15. RTT

RTT #parp

sources reckon this tuesday (23rd) for updates!

16. adam197

adam197 What's a Dremel?

Oooo. I thought Oct 14th was the earliest. Quite handy with Apple store just opened here on Saturday :D

17. DarkEditioN

DarkEditioN What's a Dremel?

+1 To waiting for refreshment... I have both Dell and PowerBook and I really need to make some changes with this macbook so... I think I am getting MacBook pro anyway. But still not decided :D

18. RTT

RTT #parp

Tomorrow's the day, although no real surprises because everything has been leaked already :D

19. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Cue 1,000,000 apple fanboys complaining that feature x wasn't included.

Tags: