1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Capcom: "Resident Evil 5 is not racist"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Jul 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

fighting hoards of white zombies = not racist
    fighting hoards of multi raced zombies = not racist
    fighting hoards of mexican, asian or european zombies = not racist
    fighting black zombies = racist
    what a load of complete bullsh*t.
    it reminds me of this: a white man beats up a white man, its assault. a black man beats up a white man, its assault. a white man beats up a black man, its a racist hate crime.
    I think the people who are calling the developers racist, are being racist them self (edit: being racist by assuming the developers are being racist, therefore assuming racism. also I count their 'there were no black developers, I bet' comment as being racist).
    goddamn 'only white people can be racist' attitudes.

Last edited: 23 Jul 2008
  3. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

I'll pick it up when they release a PC version.

4. CardJoe

Good man, focus on the important issues! PC version is always better.

5. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Very true. In developed countries the people that are always calling people racists are the true racists themselves. I'd bet half of them aren't even of a minority. Just dicks that like to complain.

6. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

PC version of RE4 suffers from terrible graphics. It might have been a damn great piece of horror game. I heard strange rumours RE4 was derived from PS2 version(why not to XBOX? Probably false rumour...)

7. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

Re4 wasnt on the xbox is probably the reason right there.. its on the gamecube first, then ps2 with an extra chapter, then wii with better graphics, the extra chapter and of course wii-mote support

8. CardJoe

I heard post-patch it got a lot better though.

9. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

still on topic here then......

10. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

Another case of someone with a chip on their shoulder taking a prime opportunity to push their own agenda, all too common these days I'm afraid.

Since the game was made by Capcom (Japanese) it seems fairly obvious that no (or very few) black people worked on the game. Probably about the same as the number of white people who worked on it for that matter.

It seems to me that the sooner people stop spuriously fanning the flames of this debate the sooner it will all die out and we can get on with things.

11. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

Concerning that racism nonsense about RE5 - Capcom deserves public apology. The guy who said that probably doesn't know what racism is...

I'll look round for it, thanks!

12. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

How does anyone know whether it is or is not racist until it has been released? People on here are just as guilty at jumping to conclusions as the journalist mentioned.

Not everyone has 'a chip on their shoulder' and as a person of mixed race myself, i can assure you that i didn't imagine the abuse i got as a kid in a mostly white school.

Saying that, i would hope the developers know what they are doing and that the stroryline is both interesting and offers non-stereotypical characters (but then that's probably asking a lot based on 99% of other games released).

13. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

RE4 PC sucked major ass. RE2/3 don't play very well with a keyboard either!

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I'm not sure what trailer they are referring to. The E3 2008 trailer shows nothing that could possibly be interpreted as racism. The lead guy is white (so what?) but the female lead looks decidedly Hispanic/Asian. Nice equal representation there. More likely it was Extended Trailer 4 that was referred to:

Gosh, look at all those black people. Could that be because, perchance, the setting is somewhere in North Africa?

PSX Extreme makes a similar observation:

More telling is how posters on Black Looks' webpage comment on this:

Some of the most eloquent comments are:

15. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

first to quote from the PSX quote above

"the game's setting in Africa. ...in Africa, if we're not mistaken, there are African-American individuals." Africa is made up of African-Americans?

If stated correctly, I completely agree with the comment. Its in Africa... I'm fairly certain if the zombie apocalypse happened they wouldn't be left out.

16. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

I always find it amusing when people seem to think there's something American about black people in Africa. Like when Bill Clinton referred to Nelson Mandela as an "African American". In what way, precisely, is he American?

I also found it very amusing that commentary on Black Looks, posted by Nexxo above, constantly offered black people a capital letter (as in "Black"), where as white people were denied this favour. *Cough* racism *cough*

I can only laugh at the lunacy of various "victim" groups, claiming grievances against the (white, western, democratic, middle-class, educated, heterosexual) world. The only other option is to go quite mad.

17. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

I think Yahzee over at Zero Punctuation hit the nail on the head regarding commentary on this issue - he'll call racism when every black zombie comes shambling at you, munching down on fried chicken, toting some watermelon, and grape drink.

18. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

How can you even argue with that level of ignorance? Once again a prime example of people fearing/hating what they don't understand.

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

[​IMG]

"Is it because I is black?"

20. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

What I am surprised at is that a "journalist" is the one pulling this all up.... You would think there would be a little more intelligence then again look at the evening news...

Tags: Add Tags