1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flexible PCI-e riser

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Asulc, 23 Jul 2008.

1. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

I am looking to build a slimline computer. I need to find a good PCI-e riser that is flexible so that the Graphics card can lay down with the fan facing up (rather than facing down and moving away from the motherboard like most of the non flexible risers seem to do).

I have found a few, but I am concerned about how well they would perform. These two pictures from Sleepstreamer's MCE2.0 are what I am looking for...

http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2008/07/mce2-by-sleepstreamer/l_riser1.jpg
    http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2008/07/mce2-by-sleepstreamer/l_packed2.jpg

Thank you in advance!

2. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

I don't think you'll see any performance loss.

3. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Yea should work just like normal. Where are you getting them from?

4. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

5. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Asulc, the Newegg one looks to be PCI, not PCI-E, so I reckon it'll be the logicsupply one you'll need.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Indeed. I'll vouch for logic supply, good guys. Used to live about a half-hour away from them (they were quite literally next door to the Ben+Jerry's HQ, though they moved into a bigger office about a year ago).

7. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

Oops...haha. Thank you for pointing that out

Thank you for the input. I will probably buy that one, unless...

Does anyone have any others to recommend?

8. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Flexible ones are hard to find, so I would go with the logic supply people. As for performance they work fine, they usually have a couple of capacitors to help keep the signal intact. They should be fine, you may get some performance loss (very minor), but nothing that the card can't handle (signal clock skew)

9. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

PCIe uses differential signaling in lane pairs. This allows for some pretty impressive stuff they can do, and distances the signal can go. It is also a port based archetecture rather than a bus meaning cards don't affect each other nearly as much as they do on standard PCI. (it's all in the spec, the trick is finding a !@#$ copy for free) A flexible riser should be fine.

PCI used the RF characteristics of the boards and slot meaning it was a lot more sensitive to the layout of the board, risers, and such.

I've ordered from Logic Supply in the past, and I would deal with them again too.